The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Will any of these sound like a short scale, slope shoulder J45?
I think a Slope Shoulder J45 would sound most like itself.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
So in the sub $1,000 dollar range. How do Epiphone Masterbilt guitars stack up? I want something that is made from solid wood. I like that they have bone nuts, and saddles already installed, in addition to the grover machine heads. Plus they are also electric to boot. I love Gibson guitars but I can't afford them, nor could I justify doing so, even if I had the money to spend. (I have too many other ducks to get in a row) So with all that said, I suppose my real question is: are there other brands that offer this much bang for the buck, while also giving that Gibson-esque vibe. I'm particularly interested in the Epiphone AJ-45me which is a short scale J45-ish type thing. I would like to get something that that I can get attached to rather than being tempted to trade in a couple months. thanks!
Are you able to play any of the guitars you're interested in before making your purchase?

The people on AGF are absolutely wonderful people...very knowledgeable and, as you can tell, very willing to help with suggestions. The only problem is they are suggesting what they would most likely do if they were you. Nothing wrong with that but you will get as many opinions as you have people respond to your original question. Believe it or not, some people on AGF don't even read the original question or the responses that follow. Some people see a header asking for advice and just throw their favorite guitar into the mix even if it doesn't really correspond to what the OP is asking about. Their intentions are good but their advice is what they like and what they found suitable for themselves.

You need to play the guitars you're interested in and compare them yourself. You are the only one who can answer the questions you have.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Sigma DR28V. Good guitar for the money. I think the are called Kindred in the US.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM

The otions under $1,000 are pretty limitless. My need was for a stage guitar under $1,000. I bought and sold several until I stumbled on a new Taylor 210e Deluxe. Fits the bill for me, and sounds great with a few mods, including bone saddle and bone pins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Obviously you need to be driven by your ear, but I'd throw a used Larrivee in the mix. All solid wood, well built guitars many of which can easily be had for under a grand. Whether you like the sound of them is a personal choice.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Eastman guitars are pretty nice
Old 05-16-2015, 12:03 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I feel like I could spend the rest of my life buying and selling guitars! I find it interesting that Recording King hadn't come up in this thread. Are they typically liked, or avoided around here?

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Guest 1511

Save up another $120 and buy a discounted Gibson J-15. You'll be very glad you did I think. I know they list for $1499 but I've seen "blemished" and used ones for just over a grand.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Will any of these sound like a short scale, slope shoulder J45?
A little bit of advice, if you're really absolutely dead-set on that slope shoulder J45 sound, do yourself a favor and just save up for the guitar you really want. Nothing else will scratch that itch, you'll but something inferior, later on sell it at a loss, then be further behind the proverbial 8-ball financially and further from the J45 you really want.

Last edited by sbpark; 05-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:55 AM

Default What would you buy?

Budgets are what they are. Sometimes their set limits shouldn't and can't be breached.

If you truly like the J-45 sound, virtually nothing is going to do it other than a J-45. There are interest free options from retailers like Sweetwater you could look into that could make it a little easier to get what you really want.

If $1000 truly is the ceiling, I'd be considering Yamaha's L series, Eastman guitars, or maybe Blueridge.

I owned a couple Epi Madterbuilt DR-500MCE guitars and I was unhappy with the fit and finish. They also both had trouble with their pickup systems (short in one, and severe grounding noise in the other).

Or, instead of racking your brain, just walk into a guitar store with $1000 and play anything and everything until you find the one that speaks to you.

What acoustic guitars do you currently own?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Last edited by skiltrip; 05-16-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 AM

The best guitars in that price range I've played are Eastmans. This one has the looks and specs of a J-45, great woods and workmanship and an Adirondack top, for just $100 over your budget --

Soundpure will send you one on approval. If you don't like it, all you eat is the shipping.

P
Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 AM

Keep on the lookout for a used US made breedlove. I've seen them under $1,000 and that is a real steal.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

There are many very nice guitars recommended in this thread. Very few of them will sound similar to a short scale, slope shoulder Gibson, which is what the OP designated. Even the wonderful Eastman E10/20SS, which look a lot like a J45, sound nothing like a Gibson. Though they can easily be purchased, used, for under $1000.

I always find it very curious that no matter what financial limit is mentioned in one of these "recommend me a guitar" threads, many of the respondents suggest that the OP go beyond the set budget. Why don't people trust that OP's know their own financial situations?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
There are many very nice guitars recommended in this thread. Very few of them will sound similar to a short scale, slope shoulder Gibson, which is what the OP designated. Even the wonderful Eastman E10/20SS, which look a lot like a J45, sound nothing like a Gibson. Though they can easily be purchased, used, for under $1000.

I always find it very curious that no matter what financial limit is mentioned in one of these "recommend me a guitar" threads, many of the respondents suggest that the OP go beyond the set budget. Why don't people trust that OP's know their own financial situations?
Most of the time people have unrealistic expectations. They want champagne on a cheap beer budget! It doesn't work that way.

Others are suggesting that the OP goes above his budget because for what he wants, which is a very specific sound and style of guitar, it can't be had for what he wants to pay. Sure there are great deals in the used market for $1,000, but you're not going to get a J45 or J45 copy that sounds like a J45 for that price. We're just being honest and realistic here. That's why I recommended saving up more and waiting to get wha he/she really wants inserted of giving in to impulse and buying something that won't make the OP happy in the long run.

There are several companies that do a great Martin sound for a very affordable price (I really like Recording King for the Martin sound on a budget), but not many out there can reproduce the Gibson sound. I played a stupid expensive Collings that was a J45 looking guitar, but sounded nothing like a J45. Same with the Epiphone J45. Isn't eve close in sounding like a J45.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Agreed, the Epiphone J45 clone and the absolutely beautiful Eastman E10/20SS do not sound like a J45. However, the Blueridge BG140 does, and the BG160 also has that Gibson type woof. I haven't had a chance to play the Recording King version oft he Gibson Smeck. I have heard that they can be very good as well.

If the OP wanted to spend the money to get into a Gibson J45, one can assume that he wouldn't be posting with a question looking for the closest he can get for under $1000. Yet in these threads, it is inevitable that people recommend that the OP's up their budgets by 10-100%. Go figure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advanced jumbo, dreadnaught, epiphone, gibson, j45