The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 PM

Default New SBT tryout: Elevation transducers

Looking forward to getting my new Colosi nut/saddle/pin set in for the new J45, and at least as eager to get the factory Baggs Element replaced. Used JJB transducers on my two previous guitars (self-installed), but checking out this other company, new to the online market, that's partnered with Archangel (who produces my currently used X7 preamp):

http://www.bgmelectronics.com/

I think I've got to have the luthier install this when they set up the bone nut/saddle/pins next week, as the Gibby is new, & therefore under warranty. Would prefer to self-install the pickup, but rules is rules, right?

Anyway, knowing the forum sees a lot of love for K&K and JJB, I'll certainly follow up with a review to compare the Elevation to JJB. I'd like to A/B it with a Pure Mini, but I've no access. (The local stores are all electric-primary, and none of them deal in SBTs.)

As far as build goes, the site is not joking about the lightweightness - not only are these Mogami cables significantly thinner than the JJBs, but the soundhole volume/tone control panel and, I think, the endpin jack are smaller on this one than the JJBs.

REALLY ready to hear this plugged in. (Especially since I'm stuck with the wife's cute little Ibanez this weekend, while the J45 hardware is in transit.)

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115

Last edited by McShepherd; 09-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM

I am interested to hear how you find the Elevation pickup. I could only find one sound clip on YouTube but it seems to have more clarity than the K&K Pure mini, which is awesome. I just don't like how the manual doesn't really have an exact location for where the transducers should be installed.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Also interesting that the links to purchase on the archangel site are both broken.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM

McSheperd, when are you planning to install the pickup? I am actually really interested to her your thoughts! I assume it won't be much different than most SBT's but if it offers more clarity then it might be a good option for me.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Also interesting that the links to purchase on the archangel site are both broken.
I noticed that this past week. Willie, the Archangel guy, also designs the page for BGM, and I think it got off when he got their page up and got back to updating his own!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
McSheperd, when are you planning to install the pickup? I am actually really interested to her your thoughts! I assume it won't be much different than most SBT's but if it offers more clarity then it might be a good option for me.
Definitely in the next week. Should have the bone hardware from Colosi in a couple days before the weekend's out, and then it's just getting the local luthier setup (probably another couple days).

I was actually tempted to go ahead and install it tonight, just because I enjoy tinkering with such things (only I draw the line at soldering, mainly because our soldering iron is shot), but it seemed pointless when I couldn't then string and test it; plus I thought it might be easier to keep the bridgeplate clean for the saddle and pin work.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 AM

I'm curious too, I'll be following this one! Good luck with the project.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 AM

I had a quick listen on the website - sounds good! Great performance, though I can't help feeling that a more "regular" guitar performance would be more useful for us pickup nerds.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I can't help feeling that a more "regular" guitar performance would be more useful for us pickup nerds.
I agree ... I don't think this demo shows anything for me. Things like harmonics, light picking and tapping can be made to sound good with most pickups and I can't help but feel this is why it was done that way.

I'd prefer a good variation of playing techniques ... various strumming ... hard, medium and soft, loud and quiet, with different picks and also fingers etc. Then the same with some single line stuff, maybe some nice flatpicking examples too.

To my mind, a good demo should include the kind of stuff that pickups have problems with ... not just concentrate on what most pickups can cope with easily.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I agree ... I don't think this demo shows anything for me. Things like harmonics, light picking and tapping can be made to sound good with most pickups and I can't help but feel this is why it was done that way.
It is certainly frustrating that demo videos never seem to convey all we'd like to hear, but considering bitrate and such, we'd never hear it as if it were live anyway (not only forcing an acoustic instrument to be electrical, but then also forcing the analog signal - which, in this case, is straight off the board with no mic for room dynamics - through digital conversion to port onto the cyber-webs.

I would like to note one aside to the video, and that being that the player and the composer are both on CandyRat Records, whose folks are working directly with Archangel to match their next gen of products to the needs of those touring musicians. What does that have to do with the pickup? Nothing, except that the preamp maker insists it's the best one available for displaying what their preamps can do.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM

I emailed the company and received a lengthy reply from Ken. He seems to be really passionate about the pickup and I like the thought that went into it. I don't know how it can be much different than any other SBT but I am definitely interested to hear some feedback from players.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 PM

I wonder what the price point will be and if it'll compete with the K&K pure mini. Why would anyone switch if the pure mini works so well and is priced really inexpensive in relation to most pickups?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the price point will be and if it'll compete with the K&K pure mini. Why would anyone switch if the pure mini works so well and is priced really inexpensive in relation to most pickups?
Their website lists the price. Looks to be $99.00.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No mystery on price point, the 3-bud version is $100 & s/h direct from the manufacturer: http://www.bgmelectronics.com/purchase.html

As for competing, it'll at least be one more option. No doubt those interested in active, rather than solely passive, pickups of this type will stick with K&K. There's no optional onboard e.q., just the volume high rolloffs. At this stage, it's cheaper than the JJB model that's equipped with volume/tone controls (also produced with advisement from Archangel).

The two questions I have are:
1) Whether the Mogami cables, "pharmaceutical grade" transducers, silver solder and gold plated circuits make it a better product, or just more well-dressed. In instruments builds, lighter may usually be better, but that's not always so with pickups (i.e., the Sunrise vs other mags).

2) How does the performance compare to JJB, in terms of clarity and output. I've wondered if the lack of feedback I've always experienced with JJB is simply because of the reportedly lower output than the Pure Mini; can't answer that, still no readily available K&K, but at least I'll know if this has the same problem and/or benefit.

Last edited by McShepherd; 09-30-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShepherd View Post

The two questions I have are:
1) Whether the Mogami cables, "pharmaceutical grade" transducers, silver solder and gold plated circuits make it a better product, or just more well-dressed.
Sounds like advertising hype to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
archangel x7, elevation premium sbt, gibson j-45, jjb shc 200, k&k pure mini