The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM

When I used the 1 meg resistor across the output (before any preamp, including power plug) with the PUTW SBT for nylon string guitar, it rolled off the unwanted muddy bass, but in a non-linear way that couldn't be duplicated with EQ. Just sayin'.......

(Bryan at LR Baggs suggested it)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
When I used the 1 meg resistor across the output (before any preamp, including power plug) with the PUTW SBT for nylon string guitar, it rolled off the unwanted muddy bass, but in a non-linear way that couldn't be duplicated with EQ. Just sayin'.......

(Bryan at LR Baggs suggested it)
"across the output".....of what? Please explain the steps. IE: From the guitar...to a patch cord to "XYZ" device..to the preamp. Where exactly is the 1M resistor being put? And by "Across" I assume you mean from the "+" side to the "-" side correct and NOT in series by cutting the + or - and inserting a resistor.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 AM

soldered from center tap to sleeve (signal to ground) at the output of the PUTW (output jack of the guitar). (resistor across tip to sleeve of 1/4" jack/plug)

Not in series with either signal or ground, but across (i.e., in parallel with the PUTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
"across the output".....of what? Please explain the steps. IE: From the guitar...to a patch cord to "XYZ" device..to the preamp. Where exactly is the 1M resistor being put? And by "Across" I assume you mean from the "+" side to the "-" side correct and NOT in series by cutting the + or - and inserting a resistor.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Default Impedance

Putting a 1M resistor from signal to ground allows more signal to go to the input of the preamp but it really doesn't change the output impedence much.

Consider this scenario. We use Low Z mics because they loose LESS high end than High Z mics over long distances.

Picture a magnetic pickup being like a Low Z mic and a Transducer pup being like a High Z mic.

The input of a transducer preamp should be 10X or more the impedance of a preamp for a magnetic pickup or the transducer will "load" the circuit and you'll loose high end. If a preamp is designed to be used with a transducer and the bass and overall sound is bad I think the problem is elsewhere. Consider poor placement or contact of the transducer, or a defective transducer where the voltage changes too much or too little with different frequencies, or possibly a defect with the preamp.

I spec'd my 20 yr old Fishman G preamp this morning on a scope. The "G" has no real "center" position for the Bass & Treble. I plugged in a audio generator and set the volume at a 1Khz signal for 2cm. I then dropped the freq to 100hz (bass) adjusted the bass control so the volume would equal 2cm and then did the same thing at 15Khz (most Rockers can't hear 10K let alone 15K). I then dropped the generator to 100hz again and raised it all the way to past 50Khz and the signal was dead FLAT with NO volume loss across the entire frequency spectrum tested. That's how it should work. If one then wants to "color" the sound you can adj the bass and treble to suit.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

I dunno, but it sure worked for me (and a number of others, apparently)...

But then again, it has been a LONG time, since all my problems went away when I went the Takamine route....
(Life's too short...)
"You only have one time through, but if you're done it right, once is enough"... - Mae West

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman sa220, impedance, k&k pure mini, lr baggs padi, taylor dn3