The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Bourgeois, poor time to purchase?

Been considering the purchase of a Bourgeois Om one of my favorite makers, but feeling a bit uneasy about the future resale value if I decide to part with it later. Anyone else nervous about the future value of current USA models once the market gets hit with the Chinese models? From what I have found on the subject and reading the site info these new models will carry the Bourgeois name which concerns me a bit as the current om is not cheap, way over 5k and if new ones are floating around at half that next year may be a tough sell.
All procrastination but concerning and making my decision harder, I never make money on a resell and realize depreciation is reality but makes me nervous. Maybe nothing to worry about.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Honestly I have never made a purchase based on resale value. Guitars are a really poor investment anyways.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I think DB and Eastman will be careful not to erode the Bourgeois brand and heritage. DB currently has Pantheon as a partner, and no brand erosion has occurred.

As a first-time Bourgeois owner, I am hugely impressed by the artistry and tone of their instruments. If anything, the company will become even stronger.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Consider buying a used and excellent condition Bourgeoise instead? Ride someone else's depreciation and see how you like it enough to buy new later after you watch th market. If you treat it well, you can probably be even or down just a few hundy in a year or two if you decide to sell the used one and buy a new one.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I seriously doubt an influx of Chinese Bourgeois guitars would affect resale value of a real Bourgeois. People who want and are willing to buy a US-made high-end guitar of any major brand aren't going to suddenly start buying Chinese alternatives. The bigger hit is buying anything new. You're going to get killed in when selling used regardless. Of the three or four major boutique brands (Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Huss & Dalton) only the Collings seem to hold their values a little better. I don't see the Chinese models (of which I hadn't heard of) having any effect on your resale value. But you would be much better served to find yourself a nice used Bourgeois OM and then you wouldn't have to worry as much.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Interesting and valid question. The business person in me can relate.

That said, I stopped worrying about resale some time ago. I am a subscriber to the buy high, sell low club. :-)

Joking aside, I really do believe that buying a guitar that speaks to you is the most important thing. If you are moved buy one and can swing it financially, then go for it.

When I purchased my Bourgeois, I had that fleeting moment of "this will be an unmitigated financial disaster" should I ever sell. But, the tone was perfect to my ears and I have not regretted the decision.

Good luck to you...whatever you decide!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I very much doubt that the appearance of Asian instruments with a Bourgeois label will adversely impact the value of guitars made in Maine. Dana Bourgeois wouldn't have agreed to a deal that would have that impact. I think the Eastman-made Bourgeois guitars will have a distinct identity and people looking for one of the American-made models will know the difference. People who are just looking for a new guitar in a shop or online who don't understand the difference between lower priced imports and hand built guitars wouldn't be likely to shop in the price range of a Maine-built guitar whether there were Eastman-made versions available or not. People who buy Martin Authentics understand that they are different from the lowest-priced Martins in the same size and shape. I think the same will be true with Bourgeois guitars after their Eastman varieties appear.

More generally, if resale is your primary concern, you may be better off with a better known brand like Martin. Pretty much every guitar player has heard of them. Not so with Bourgeois. On the other hand, if you are primarily concerned with getting an outstanding instrument built in a small shop to the highest standards, than a Bourgeois deserves your full consideration.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I think you have the right to worry and I feel the same way. I don’t think I would buy a new one right now. Possibly used If you can find a good deal. Everybody has an opinion on this but I look at brands like Breedlove and just hope Bourgeois doesn’t go down that same path.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
2004 Tim McKnight "Skeeter"
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 11-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Can't answer specifically because I have never considered buying a guitar in anticipation of selling it.
But in general speculation on market value with a new lower priced option on the horizon ? is just that speculation, because it is just as likely to cause the value of the upper end products to go up, as down.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Been considering the purchase of a Bourgeois Om one of my favorite makers, but feeling a bit uneasy about the future resale value if I decide to part with it later. Anyone else nervous about the future value of current USA models once the market gets hit with the Chinese models? From what I have found on the subject and reading the site info these new models will carry the Bourgeois name which concerns me a bit as the current om is not cheap, way over 5k and if new ones are floating around at half that next year may be a tough sell.
All procrastination but concerning and making my decision harder, I never make money on a resell and realize depreciation is reality but makes me nervous. Maybe nothing to worry about.

Jerry what you really have to worry about is that all the boomer men, like you and I, are getting older and aging out of the market. That is what is gonna make re-selling ANY boutique/luthier level guitar ever so much tougher in the years ahead.

The only thing you really need to worry about is a Cascadia Subduction Zone 'quake rocking your...and my...world before we "check outta here" {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 AM

I recently purchased a used Bourgeois OM and I couldn’t be happier !
If for some reason I do sell it sometime down the road I should be able to recoup most if not all of my money. This is a fantastic OM, so I don’t see that happening.

Best of luck!
Scott
Old 11-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have never purchased a guitar that I already knew that I would be selling. But, I have sold some of my guitars over the years and have mostly made money or broke even. I have lost money on a couple of transactions depending on the market and timing involved. It is not something you can always predict. I would say that if it is a source of worry for you then do not do it. Everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to these matters.

There are some good used guitars out there these days so you might explore that option first.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t fret one iota about resale. Collings and Waterloo. Fender American series vs Mexican vs Squier. Historic Gibsons vs Epiphones. The ones made by Bourgeois will hold their value because guitar buyers know the difference.

It is important to note that, so far as I can tell, the guitars made as part of the collaboration will not necessarily be labeled Bourgeois. The press release didn’t say what name will be used.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Do we even know that these Chinese guitars will be Bourgeois branded?

I do agree with Breedlove being a cautionary tale about how to ruin a brand when you try to be everything to all people.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Do we even know that these Chinese guitars will be Bourgeois branded?

I do agree with Breedlove being a cautionary tale about how to ruin a brand when you try to be everything to all people.
Actually I thought I read (cant find it now) that ones designed by Bourgeois, will be labeled "Bourgeois" (could be mistaken, or it was just speculation on the part of some article )

Curious what is it you think " happend" to, or why you think Breedlove is "ruined" exactly ? Given Breedlove Masterclass and USA made are more costly than ever before and are still selling ? And that their resale value was always low from the start, even before going offshore.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion