The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Vintage parlor vs 000-15sm

I’m a folk singer who plays a lot of traditional music in the vein of Bob dylan, Woody Guthrie, Townes Van Zandt, etc. I love my D-18 especially for louder bluegrassy stuff, but I’m looking for a smaller guitar for quieter old time stuff and finger picking. I’m trying to decide between a vintage parlor like a Washburn Style 115 and a modern small body such as the Martin 000-15sm. I dig the sound of the vintage parlors but I’m wondering if it’s more practical to buy the newer Martin for gigging. Any opinions from owners of either?
Seagull S6 GT
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Interesting decision... I'll look forward to hearing what you do.

I've had both a vintage 0-17 and a modern 00-15M. I loved the light and airy 0-17, but it ended up being a little too uncomfortable. It had had a neck reset by an excellent luthier that would last around a decade, but I just never felt at home with the neck. I wanted to change it... almost like there was a lot of variation as I played up the neck.

I don't know... I found myself more comfortable with the conveniences of the modern guitars. Depending on price range, the 15-Series, the Waterloos, the 1929s, seemed to make me happier. Just personal preference... some will swear by the opposite. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Interesting decision... I'll look forward to hearing what you do.

I've had both a vintage 0-17 and a modern 00-15M. I loved the light and airy 0-17, but it ended up being a little too uncomfortable. It had had a neck reset by an excellent luthier that would last around a decade, but I just never felt at home with the neck. I wanted to change it... almost like there was a lot of variation as I played up the neck.

I don't know... I found myself more comfortable with the conveniences of the modern guitars. Depending on price range, the 15-Series, the Waterloos, the 1929s, seemed to make me happier. Just personal preference... some will swear by the opposite. Best of luck with your decision.
That’s sort of my thinking. I like the sound of old parlors, but they can feel pretty fragile for dragging around to smoky Nashville dive bars.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM

I think it's hard to go wrong with a 000-15SM . I particularly love the distressed finish on the mahogany burst or whatever they're calling it, but only on the ones that aren't done overly much. I had never been a real fan of the 15 series Martins, I guess due to ignorance or just not really jiving with the aesthetic, and .. one day I played both a 000-15SM and the GPC(?) (maybe a Martin guy can help me out here- the cutaway, Taylor-shaped body) version, both with the tasteful, low-key distressed finish, vintage white peg tuners - man. they were both absolutely the best guitars in GC. I think I told the story of the J15 that slayed a room full of everything not too long ago at GC; well, after that J15 left, these 2 guitars came in and they were the best sounding and best playing guitars in the whole place for probably a month that I kept popping in.

Anyway, sorry for the de-rail, but to answer your original question, I would definitely go with the newer Martin. I think the vintage old parlors can be really cool as well.. but I'm just a bit sketchy, in general, with vintage. Partly because I am not proficient enough to do (or even analyze) the repair myself, and partly because of just plain ol' preference. so for me its a no-brainer, but for you I think you already commented on the real important factor, which is bringing the guitar out and gigging with it at bars etc.

whichever way you decide, let us know and good luck!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I’ll agree with Kerbie on this; I have a Washburn from the late 19th century. It’s a really fine guitar, but it’s high maintenance. I play it seldomly. Usually by myself, to myself.

The guitar that goes out the door with me is far more modern.

If the choice were either or, I’d choose the 00 15.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-25-2018, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

I have a Custom Shop 2012, 12-fret 000-15sm on which Martin used Adirondack bracing. To me it's one of the "liveliest" (i.e. responsive?) Mahog topped guitars I've played, but still with the all Mahog vintage tone. Can't be sure the Adi added the "magic", but I sure think so. I believe these guitars were a special run shown at either 2011 or 2012 NAMM, and retailers could order them at pretty good prices despite being Custom Shop. Not sure if there are any around for re-sale.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 AM

I, too, love parlor guitars, but I consider the tonal range a tad too limited for solo work. Sure, a song or two presented on a parlor can be awesome, but I'm not sure I'd want to listen to an entire set played on a nasally guitar with no low end oomph. I bought my 000-15sm for exactly that purpose and consider it the ideal guitar for what you have in mind. I have a pseudo-vintage parlor (Recording King Dirty 30s) as well, and while I love picking it every once in a while, it's anything but my go-to guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I, too, love parlor guitars, but I consider the tonal range a tad too limited for solo work. Sure, a song or two presented on a parlor can be awesome, but I'm not sure I'd want to listen to an entire set played on a nasally guitar with no low end oomph.
?!?!?!?!?!?

You haven’t been playing the right parlor guitars.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Take a look at the Gretsch roots series. From 0 to 000 size.
Here is the smallest parlor, very old timey sound finger picked.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...coustic-guitar
Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 PM

i'd imagine that would be quite a difference in the two. i own the 0015m and 00015m, and, have played the 00015sm quite a bit that we bought for our daughter. the sm does have more bass than the 00015m and, both have more bass than the 0015m. while they are all comfortable to play, if you are strictly looking for comfort and sound, i'd pick the 0015m. mine has become my songwriting partner because it does not get in the way of my singing and playing while creating a song.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 PM

If you're looking for more versatile tone in that 12 fret, slotted headstock vibe, see if you can find a Martin 000-17SM. Basically, a 000-15SM with an ambertone finished spruce top. Great guitar for the style of music you describe.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 11-25-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
Take a look at the Gretsch roots series. From 0 to 000 size...
I own two 15-Series Martins (J12-15 and D-15S), had a 000-15SM on my radar for a while now (BTW the 15's are the only current Martins I'd even consider owning, for a variety of reasons), and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gretsch 00 or 000 as a grab-&-go substitute at one-fourth the price - makes more sense as an in-the-trenches gigging guitar (there's a reason those smaller Martins scale in under four pounds, and you don't want to find out that reason when someone trips over a mic wire fifteen seconds before you come on stage ), great playability, plenty of unplugged tone/volume, and you can outfit it with a top-notch pickup system for going direct-to-board and still come out well ahead of the game...
Old 11-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

LA Guitars and others routinely order custom 15s. I own a 00 15 12 fret slothead custom. It has tortoise binding that gives it a touch of class. Very compact and it sounds bigger than it is.

Like all my acoustics, I put Dazzo pickups in it so it can handle any situation.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 PM

I recently went on this journey (folk/acoustic blues fingerpicker) and decided on the 000-15sm. I'm very happy with it. I actually crave it if I've been playing my other guitars for a few days. I also enjoy strumming it.

However, if I was targeting a vintage parlor, I'd contact this guy: http://vintageparlorguitars.com/
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM

First, a true parlor guitar will be smaller than an 0 size instrument. I only own one with most of my smaller body instruments being a concert or 00 size. Mine are all fairly old. What that often means is thick necks, wide nuts, no neck reinforcement, and a fairly flat board. I have been playing them for over 50 years so am very used to them. Great for fingerpickers like me but often not somebody who is used to more modern instrument's cup of tea. Subjectively, the best of the bunch is an early 1930s 00 size Kay Kraft-built Oahu "Nick Lucas" which earned its nickname because of its deep body. A fairly expensive guitar in its day costing just shy of $100.

If I was going to buy a vintage small body guitar a Martin Koa would be at the top of my list. The earliest versions were fan braced with the X bracing coming a bit later. All were braced for steel strings and in my opinion they are amazing sounding little guitars. If you are particularly well heeled though I would go for a Larson Bros. guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
folk, folk music, old time, parlor