The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Adding K&K Pure Mini alongside Taylor ES?

To elaborate, I'm not referring to ripping out the ES, I'm talking about keeping both systems installed so that you could switch back/forth between the two. I'd probably just install the pure mini in the passive mode so there's no preamp controls to deal with along side the ES controls.

Here are my initial thoughts:
1. Here's a photo from my thread in which I retrofitted the K&K Ultra Pure Mini into the cutouts and endblock assembly of the Taylor ES (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=319114

The TRS endpin jack is easily accessible through the circuit board plug. The red and black wires correspond to the signal and ground leads of the K&K pure mini. In theory, all you would need to do is get another plug from either Taylor or ebay and resolder the pure mini directly to the male end of the circuit board plug.

Then, If you wanted to switch from the ES to the pure mini, all you'd have to do is pop out the endblock assembly (a couple of screws) and switch the plugs.

2. My only concern is whether or not you could safely and correctly install the pure mini transducers under the saddle with the Taylor ES grounding strip under the bridge pins.

In theory, it seems pretty straight forward. Sometimes I just get real frustrated with the magnetic/metallic/brittle sound from the Taylor ES neck pickup. Ugh.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM

I haven't tried anything like that but the K&K transducers are glued under the bridge saddle in front of the pins. You should be OK. Try it with the tape first to see if they line up without touching the grounding strip.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
I haven't tried anything like that but the K&K transducers are glued under the bridge saddle in front of the pins. You should be OK. Try it with the tape first to see if they line up without touching the grounding strip.
Great idea to use the tape first, I never thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see how that works out.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM

I just installed the Schatten HFN Artist II pickup in a replacement for the ES. What I did is leave all of the ES in place (It is the newest version ES) and removed the endpin block, disconnected the wiring harness and string ground and cabled the wiring to the side of the guitar.

I have a friend who is a very talented woodwork artist and he has made me an endplug out of maple and is currently finishing the 20 coats of lacquer he is applying. The TruPlug is a good option but I wanted wood to match the maple binding of my 814ce LTD cocobolo.

If you look at the Schatten pickup, it works like the pure mini and I had no problems finding room for it. It is a touch smaller and the three sensors are more square shaped than the K&K. The cool thing about the Schatten is that it is an incredibly easy install.

davidic
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

so dcopper, your install is completely revertible back to the ES if you ever need, correct?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Joeguam, any verdict on whether its possible to install the K&K pure mini transducers to the Taylor without interference form the grounding strip? I was thinking of doing a similar thing to my 414ce. Thanks for the information.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM

AlRob, unfortunately I haven't had much time since posting this thread to look at it. I did peek my mirror down into my guitar and it seems very promising. What I'd like to do is take a photo with the camera in the same position laying on the back wood in both my 700 and 100 series. My 100 series has the K&K pure mini installed, so this would give me at least a good chance to put the photos side-by-side and do a rough measurement.

I'll try to do this soon and post my results.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
…Has anyone tried this?
Hi Joe...

My giggin' partner installed a K&K Mine, a second output jack, and just left the Taylor pickup intact. He never mixes them. Mixing an undesirable pickup with a good one often degrades the sound of the best one.

Don't know if this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Thanks Larry, may I ask what model your partner has? If you also know the year, that would greatly help. Either way, this really sounds promising!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Thanks Larry, may I ask what model your partner has? If you also know the year, that would greatly help. Either way, this really sounds promising!
Hi joe...

It's a 714ce, not sure of the year. It's not an ES system, but the Fishman Dual source.

My point was he just left the original system untouched and just installed a K&K mini as a separate pickup/system, with it's own output jack.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks Larry, this is a bummer because I guess I assumed that your partner's version of the ES had the grounding plate under the bridgepins. This is the big question now of whether the pure mini SBT's can fit with the grounding plate also installed.

With regards to the 2nd output jack source, I'd have no need for this because I'd never want to blend the ES with the pure mini. With the ease of plugging/unplugging the endblock assembly, it's a rather simple task to switch between the two.

I've already emailed Taylor to see if I could order another preamp cable, let's see what they say.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Joe, sorry I just saw this question you asked.
Yes, I can easily revert back to the ES if the guitar is ever sold/traded or I want to go back to the ES. I treat the ES like a soundhole pickup system and I do get good results. I just wanted something different like the K&K without the difficulty of the install, so i tried the Schatten.

My entire ES is in place, just removed the endpin assembly and the string ground. I cable the wiring to the rest of the ES wiring on the side of the guitar to keep it out of the way and from any vibrations.

I think those folks who like and use the K&K really have an excellent point. It is also remarkable that the new ES2 is very similar in the sense of the three sensors. Taylor just places them a bit differently.

I am considering putting the K&K into another guitar and doing the same - leaving the ES in place so I can replace it if I want. One of the Taylor reps told me he uses the K&K pure mini as well.

The last Taylor I bought, a 914 tobacco burst without cutaway, I bought also without electronics. I am using a Sunrise pickup in that and could also put a K&K mini in with a stereo output.

I will post pics of my friends work in making the wooden replacement for the endpin assembly as soon as I receive them. He has made a template for them so he can make them out of any kind of wood available. They are a bit time consuming but IMHO it is much more attactive to have wood on wood.
davidc
Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Hello everyone, I'm the OP, and I had the most amazing blessing bestowed upon me last night with regards to my Taylor 700 series on which I was going to perform this mod. I have now completely changed my mind and have a new perception and love for the Taylor ES...specifically as it sounds in MY guitar through MY rig. I started this new thread just to share my experience last night:
Don't like the sound of your guitar plugged in? Try this...

Thanks for all your responses and advice, hoping you find a new appreciation as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
k&k pure mini, taylor es