The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi blue...
What part of the country did you move 'here' from?

Our outside Relative Humidity today is 12% (was at 7am anyway) and our evaporative units are putting 2-3 gallons a day into the air in both my teaching area and the kitchen. There is zero condensation on any windows, and one unit is very near outside windows. Actually we are struggling to maintain 38% in the house today.

A really cold day after a nice warm one, and snow in the air - condensation on windows. We've been here for 37 years and never seen condensation apart from windows, nor seen mold.

In fact, when one of our 4 sons was in elementary school his 'science experiment' was to grow mold. We set out cheese, and bread, and after a week they were just drying out and not molding. We finally got one tiny spot of mold after 2 weeks on the piece of cheese, and the bread just turned to croutons.

- Most recently from Central Oklahoma. And although I normally have to run the humidifiers in the winter, it has never been for sustained periods.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythmpyg View Post
I use the soap dish method only instead of a sponge, I use a chamois cloth folded and wet inside. It lasts about 2 weeks to a month depending on how often you open the case. I have 1 case I haven't opened in 6 mos, that is still at 48%. Cheap, effective, low maintenance. My guitars stay at 48% when in the cases with this method. Oh, I also only put the dish in the accessory compartment of the case.
First I have heard of this method, nice! I just bought an Essick MoistAir humidifer off of reviews here and on other forums. Still trying to decide if I want to hang her on the wall with the humidifier or leaver her in a case close to the humidifier.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM

I use a three-gallon room humidifier, here in Arizona. It keeps the room at 40-48%, but I have to fill both the 1.5 gallon tanks, every day. I've gone the case/sponge/etc. route, but I play more when the guitars are out. Plus, it's healthier for humans, to have the room at that humidity.

The expense comes with buying a new filter every couple of months, at around $15. I think it's worth it.

By the way, there's no problem with bacteria and sponges, if one buys anti-bacterial ones, like Ocellos...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments

Last edited by Bluepoet; 11-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM

I think I am going to hang mine since I bought this new humidifier. I will have my eyes on the hygrometer non stop until I know they will be alright.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Room humidifiers seem to work well.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Open a window if I need more humidity, close it for less...works pretty good here in FLA!

noledog
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM

I feel the need to put all my questions in one posting now.....

Where do you put the soap dish in your case? Do I also need a hygrometer in there as well? And finally what if its a soft case like the one that case with GS Mini?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcso909 View Post
I feel the need to put all my questions in one posting now.....

Where do you put the soap dish in your case? Do I also need a hygrometer in there as well? And finally what if its a soft case like the one that case with GS Mini?
If it's a traditional case, I would put it under the headstock just remember to remove it before moving the case.

I would also recommend a hygrometer in the case so you can measure the "humidity environment" that your guitar is in. When moving my hygrometer from the case to the room I'm currently humidifying there is a difference.

If I remember correctly the GS mini is really a gigbag so I think your best bet would be either to humidify the room or rig something up in the sound hole. Just remember to remove the humidifier it before you move the guitar around!

A lot of it comes down to what works for you and what you are comfortable with.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Angry

So I can get away with leaving them on a stand and using something like the kyser sound guard? I'm in Ohio. My current room hygrometer is showing 38%
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I can get away with leaving them on a stand and using something like the kyser sound guard? I'm in Ohio. My current room hygrometer is showing 38%
Hi Wcso...

The Kyser lifeguards are great (just throw away the stupid plastic 'locking' ring or it will scratch the soundhole).

I keep those in my guitars when they are out in the room and the humidity is marginal, and they work great for humidifying the inside of the body when in a gig-bag. I just stick one 'ear' in the sound hole and let the string pressure keep it centered.

Just remember the fingerboard and bridge are also unfinished wood which need humidity as well...so an additional one will be helpful. In a gig bag you have to moisten them more often.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM

I like Oasis.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM

I second Larry's advice: Kyser sound hole humidifiers and keep them in the cases. Throw the plastic thing away and leave one side not tucked in. I've lived in the Denver area for 22 years with a lot of high-end guitars. Never any problems, even with winter humidity in single digits.

Just make sure that you check them once a week and recharge the sponges.

Pete

Charis GC (#22, 2001) -- Cedar/EIR
Charis SJ (#66, 2004) -- Adi/Braz
Langejans R6 (#1412, 2012, the last one!)-- Adi/EIR
Lowden F12 -- Spruce/Mahog
Lowden S25J -- EIR/Cedar -- Sold
Lowden F35x -- Walnut/Redwood -- Sold
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Hello:

I lived in Colorado from 1986 - 2004. The front range is not as bad as Grand Junction when it comes to the lack of humidity. But, no matter where you live, an electric, forced air (central air) heater will dry your house out just like a hand-held blow dryer. A hot water boiler for the winter weather and a swamp cooler for the summer makes a big difference. Your guitars will thank you, and so will your dry, cracked nasal passages.

Barring any major work on the house; If one humidifier is not enough, buy more than one and make them really big and quite and never shut them off. Put them in the actual room where the guitars are if you don't want to humidify the entire house. And remember, a consistent level of humidity (and temperature) over a long period is better than getting it right for a month or two and then forgetting to refill the humidifier for awhile. A changing environment is going to be tougher than a stable environment at a lower number.

To this end I use both the Oasis system for conventional sound holes and Humid Paks for off-set sound holes. Hygrometers are cheap on ebay and I recommend measuring what is actually happening instead of just assuming that what you have come up with is actually working.

I put an extra humidifier in the furnace room so it redistributes the humidity throughout the house. That way, it does not have to be quiet and the humidity does go up. It may seem like a small difference but, without it, even in Illinois, I cannot keep the humidity above 40% all winter long. The important thing is consistency.

Enjoy living in Colorado. (those who know envy you)

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Wow. You guys got good timing. Just picked up the kyser tonight. Thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I use the drilled-out soap dish method. Dirt cheap and just as effective as store-bought alternatives. Found the instructions on how to make 'em on another forum, but there's a similar thread on the AGF Here

Mine look like the middle example in the pic. I used a 1¼" brad-point bit in the drill press to make the holes. I definitely wouldn't recommend using a spade bit. Also made a very simple holding fixture out of a one piece of scrap plywood and three strips of wooden scrap - this is a better way to keep the box under control as the drill bit starts breaking through than simply trying to hang on with a bare hand.

Quote:
Where do you put the soap dish in your case?
Up near the peghead. It's wedged into place with a small block of wood that holds it firmly in place. I can carry the case anywhere I need to and it doesn't move from that position. When it comes time to re-moisten the sponge, I just pull on the wood block and the plastic container pops loose. Easy peasy.

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion