The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It sounds "just like my guitar" back when I had an under saddle Baggs Element. Yuck.

I hope whatever they come up with doesn't sound like the "prototype".
Or his Collings OM2H is a dud
lol
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-26-2023, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Of course, another gently played fingerstyle demo, and wouldn't ya know it, the guy in the video has a Shure SM7B cardioid dynamic mic not far from the Collings guitar. If this mic is on while he's demoing the guitar and its new LR Baggs pickup, then IMHO this demo is tainted as to what the tone of the pickup may actually sound like in his rig. So, in this demo how much of the guitar's acoustic sound would the dynamic Shure SM7B mic pickup at its angle and distance from the guitar that mixes in with the pickup's direct signal? I would say a fair amount as when the guy talks he's not that close to the mic. I do hope, however, that this new pickup is a step toward some kind of improved amplified tone on LR Baggs's part.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-26-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It sounds "just like my guitar" back when I had an under saddle Baggs Element. Yuck.

I hope whatever they come up with doesn't sound like the "prototype".
I agree it doesn’t sound that great in this demo, but definitely sounds more like an Ibeam vs. the element. If I could get an element to sound like that, I would be pretty happy! Even the Amulet, Dazzo etc would sound somewhat like a piezo direct into an interface.

I do still find it odd that this one random guy has a video up of a new pickup from a major company. I am hoping it’s some innovative system but I have a feeling it’s going to be an update of an older system.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I agree it doesn’t sound that great in this demo, but definitely sounds more like an Ibeam vs. the element. If I could get an element to sound like that, I would be pretty happy! Even the Amulet, Dazzo etc would sound somewhat like a piezo direct into an interface.

I do still find it odd that this one random guy has a video up of a new pickup from a major company. I am hoping it’s some innovative system but I have a feeling it’s going to be an update of an older system.
To me, this gentle fingerstyle demo with a likely open mic not far from the guitar is not a good way to demo the amplified tone of this new LR Baggs pickup.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-26-2023, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I do think we are hearing a direct recording with no mic (I can’t stand when the camera mic gets blended into a guitar video).

Over the years I tried so many pickups thinking that one would sound like my guitar (or at least like my Cole Clark) and nothing did.

What I hope for this new pickup is that it is balanced and rejects feedback more than other SBT’s and can be a good platform for future processing.

For me that would be the best you can ask for from an acoustic guitar pick up and would be a huge win for LR Baggs. Especially if it is affordable and installs without any glue or modification to the guitar except for the end pin jack.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I do think we are hearing a direct recording with no mic (I can’t stand when the camera mic gets blended into a guitar video).

Over the years I tried so many pickups thinking that one would sound like my guitar (or at least like my Cole Clark) and nothing did.

What I hope for this new pickup is that it is balanced and rejects feedback more than other SBT’s and can be a good platform for future processing.

For me that would be the best you can ask for from an acoustic guitar pick up and would be a huge win for LR Baggs. Especially if it is affordable and installs without any glue or modification to the guitar except for the end pin jack.
My thoughts exactly. If we can get a K&K style pickup that’s less invasive and sounds on par with other SBT’s then this is a win for Baggs.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:53 AM

What does "non-invasive" even mean?

Couch Standards
Old 03-26-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What does "non-invasive" even mean?
No glue is the big one. Also, it typically means no modification to the saddle. Think the Baggs Ibeam. You literally stick it on and can easily remove it at anytime.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

My guess is wireless SBT. Will be interesting to see what Lloyd announces.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 03-26-2023, 02:22 PM

Sounds like a piezo or a duck quack quack quack .... I also noticed he had 2 thumbwheel controls in the soundhole as well , meh .... That's a NO for me .
Old 03-26-2023, 02:50 PM

I was just thinking, the guy demoing the pickup is being pretty vague on the concept. However, the volume controls look like what you would get with the Element and people are pointing out the piezo tone. I am wondering if Baggs found a way to incorporate the Voiceprint technology into a pickup system. As good as the VP is, it still has a very distinct piezo quality, especially when used with the Element. The guy in the video points out that it sounds just like his guitar, so maybe it is VP tech. No idea how that would work but maybe they looked at Fishman and their all in one Aura pickups and wanted to compete.

Or, maybe it is simply the Element with bluetooth on board to connect to the VP pedal. We shall have to wait and see I guess!
Old 03-26-2023, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was just thinking, the guy demoing the pickup is being pretty vague on the concept. However, the volume controls look like what you would get with the Element and people are pointing out the piezo tone. I am wondering if Baggs found a way to incorporate the Voiceprint technology into a pickup system. As good as the VP is, it still has a very distinct piezo quality, especially when used with the Element. The guy in the video points out that it sounds just like his guitar, so maybe it is VP tech. No idea how that would work but maybe they looked at Fishman and their all in one Aura pickups and wanted to compete.

Or, maybe it is simply the Element with bluetooth on board to connect to the VP pedal. We shall have to wait and see I guess!
It’s a contact pickup. That’s why it is ‘non-invasive’. What you are hearing is just the pickup. There is no IR applied. It will probably sound really good with the right IR.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It’s a contact pickup. That’s why it is ‘non-invasive’. What you are hearing is just the pickup. There is no IR applied. It will probably sound really good with the right IR.
Just to be clear, I commented on the video and the guy doing the demo did admit that the mic was active. It's definitely direct but the mic could be picking up a bit. He doesn't mention it being a contact pickup, but now that I remember, he did say it wasn't a piezo so assuming he means not a UST. I am going to assume that you know a bit more though due to the popularity of your channel and the fact that you know exact details about this video.

Regardless, I am somewhat excited, but I do wish it sounded a bit better.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, I commented on the video and the guy doing the demo did admit that the mic was active. It's definitely direct but the mic could be picking up a bit. He doesn't mention it being a contact pickup, but now that I remember, he did say it wasn't a piezo so assuming he means not a UST. I am going to assume that you know a bit more though due to the popularity of your channel and the fact that you know exact details about this video.

Regardless, I am somewhat excited, but I do wish it sounded a bit better.
I haven’t tried it but I will try to get my hands on it to review.

I assumed the same. When he said it’s not a piezo he meant not an undersaddle. A contact pickup IS a piezo.

All of the SBT pickups I have tried sound similar to me. The biggest thing will be, does it resist feedback more than others… it’s certainly great to see a new pickup release for acoustic guitars in 2023.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I haven’t tried it but I will try to get my hands on it to review.

I assumed the same. When he said it’s not a piezo he meant not an undersaddle. A contact pickup IS a piezo.

All of the SBT pickups I have tried sound similar to me. The biggest thing will be, does it resist feedback more than others… it’s certainly great to see a new pickup release for acoustic guitars in 2023.
The Schertler STAT system is a electrostatic contact pickup, not piezo. Maybe it's something like the Schertler transducer.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-26-2023 at 05:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification