The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I typically place it a few feet to one side, and a couple of feet in front of me. Yesterday I had it about 4 feet to my right, and about a foot behind me due to the space I was playing (a backyard party). At one larger indoor venue I tried it maybe 8 feet behind me and about the same to my side and liked it. Never had a feedback problem. I did play one large outdoor venue and placed it farther to my side and a little out front and cranked it. I originally set up a monitor but nixed it as I could still hear myself fine without it. I guess I've just become accustomed to the sound I hear from the side throw of the Evolve and no extra monitor. No ear fatigue!
Thanks for that, very helpful. I'm overthinking that upcoming gig, I just recalled a popular local duo used their 50m or 30m in the exact same spot and it was fine. The PA setup will by basically to one side.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I typically place it a few feet to one side, and a couple of feet in front of me. Yesterday I had it about 4 feet to my right, and about a foot behind me due to the space I was playing (a backyard party). At one larger indoor venue I tried it maybe 8 feet behind me and about the same to my side and liked it. Never had a feedback problem. I did play one large outdoor venue and placed it farther to my side and a little out front and cranked it. I originally set up a monitor but nixed it as I could still hear myself fine without it. I guess I've just become accustomed to the sound I hear from the side throw of the Evolve and no extra monitor. No ear fatigue!
We do the same as Stringmaster, although usually never out in front all that much because we just don't play all that loud at assisted living places unless we're outside. Usually parallel is good enough at the limited volumes we typically play at. But if you're cranking it then definitely a bit out front.

The first time we played outside I had it fairly close to me (my left) and a few inches behind me due to being crammed into a tight space. And because we were outside I needed to turn up the volume. The first song was excruciating on my left ear so I moved it farther up. It was still tough but livable for the short duration.

I like having it at least 4-5 feet to my left if at all possible and then a bit behind or even depending on volume and nearby reflective surfaces. If possible make sure you have enough room to take a step backwards before that first song in case it's too loud. You'll thank me!

I think the distance to the side is more important than the distance back or in front. Obviously if it's a tight spot and you can't move it off to the side then you'll want it out front a bit. But you will quickly lose the high-end tones the farther out front you go, again depending on the reflective surfaces.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious about these. For those that have them are they a good system for music playback around your house as well?

How much is the experience improved with two vs one or would one provide great audio listening for having music that is covering your house?
Old 03-21-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I'm curious about these. For those that have them are they a good system for music playback around your house as well?

How much is the experience improved with two vs one or would one provide great audio listening for having music that is covering your house?
I use my Everse for that and it sounds awesome.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
I use my Everse for that and it sounds awesome.
Great to know. From the way you phrased that it sounds like you use a single one?
Old 03-22-2023, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Interesting commentary regarding the “Bose Sound” versus “PA sound”.

I was never a big fan of the Bose sound, in part because some of my early experiences with it were of small “corporate” acts using it. I always felt like there was some illusion involved, like they were compensating for horsepower with wave trickery. It surrounded you but didn’t thump your chest (my rock roots are showing LOL). Same with their car systems….full but no thump. Interestingly, for solo or duet acoustic stuff, that can be a very pleasant sound.

I came into the Evolve 30M from the opposite direction, from using more traditional PA. I preferred passive systems due to less cabling, but eventually went to the dark side with a QSC Touchmix and some EV ZLX’s with ELX 12” subs. Hated the cabling but liked the sound.

The Evolve 30M is the perfect form factor for me. A bunch of cables eliminated between the onboard mixer and integrated pole, and the sound/feel is transitional between the EV/PA sound and a more Bose kind of sound. I’m really enjoying it. Simple wins.
Best of all, if I need more horsepower, I just slave a ZLX main on an ELS sub on the other side, boom.

Last edited by xjojox; 03-22-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:25 AM

Aspiring
I use the EV30 to play music tracks in the home. Little benefit and wasted money to getting a second EV30. What I have done is line out to a much cheaper $500 iP300 for that quasi stereo affect. Any good small speaker will work: QSC CP8, JBL Compact, Bose S1Pro, Everse 8.
If you really want to go for it, add the EV ELX12-SP sub for REAL subwoofer performance!

Last edited by wweiss; 03-22-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Aspiring
I use the EV30 to play music tracks in the home. Little benefit and wasted money to getting a second EV30. What I have done is line out to a much cheaper $500 iP300 for that quasi stereo affect. Any good small speaker will work: QSC CP8, JBL Compact, Bose S1Pro, Everse 8.
If you really want to go for it, add the EV ELX12-SP sub for REAL subwoofer performance!
Cool thanks. This is helping me talk myself into justifying picking up one of these.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Aspiring
I slave a ZLX top over an ELX sub from the Evolve30M when I want more horsepower and it sounds amazing. Did it at a good sized outdoor venue the other day.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We do the same as Stringmaster, although usually never out in front all that much because we just don't play all that loud at assisted living places unless we're outside. Usually parallel is good enough at the limited volumes we typically play at. But if you're cranking it then definitely a bit out front.

The first time we played outside I had it fairly close to me (my left) and a few inches behind me due to being crammed into a tight space. And because we were outside I needed to turn up the volume. The first song was excruciating on my left ear so I moved it farther up. It was still tough but livable for the short duration.

I like having it at least 4-5 feet to my left if at all possible and then a bit behind or even depending on volume and nearby reflective surfaces. If possible make sure you have enough room to take a step backwards before that first song in case it's too loud. You'll thank me!

I think the distance to the side is more important than the distance back or in front. Obviously if it's a tight spot and you can't move it off to the side then you'll want it out front a bit. But you will quickly lose the high-end tones the farther out front you go, again depending on the reflective surfaces.
This is why I now use IEMs all the time. I can put the EV30M anywhere out front and not worry about feedback or hearing myself.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
This is why I now use IEMs all the time. I can put the EV30M anywhere out front and not worry about feedback or hearing myself.
You should do a separate post on your experiences using IEM's. I've wondered about them for a while now and it think it would be a great discussion here.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You should do a separate post on your experiences using IEM's. I've wondered about them for a while now and it think it would be a great discussion here.
OK - start it up and I'll respond
Old 04-03-2023, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks for the additional info!

The Bose has "everything" except the built in mixer and app.
The mixer is the main reason I went with the EV. Most setup time is wires. I’ve eliminated a bunch of them. And it sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification