The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2023, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to waterlooz for the report on the mic....no wonder I could not find it.

I agree with Petty1818 that a mini-jack would be perfect. I also think they
missed the boat not having an endpin option on the passive version. Not
all of us are as handy as Nick84 with our soldering irons.

As to NC-1 vs NC-2, it seems to me for the extra $50, you get an NC-1 by
turning the mic off, plus have a mic option.

I tried an NC-1 a while back and liked it except for the click.
I recently added a smaller body Goodall HRGCC to my collection, and would
like a smaller, lighter alternative than my usual Sunrise or Blackstack.
So I am very interested in this thread.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:22 AM

Default NPUD | Mojotone NC-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I also think they
I wrote the company and they said they sell the 1/4” jack should one want to convert it. I just think the passive is aimed at a different market; the person who wants to amplify a vintage with no modifications and no batteries to worry about on the few occasions said market would need a pickup.

I agree with you though, I’m a fan of passive pickups and would like the option of permanent install. I know myself; too lazy to use it even for home practice if I need to install/remove it every time I desire. Making two passive options or a mini jack would set up Mojotone with every conceivable pickup in class.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-06-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Having attempted soldering previously I can assure you I’m not handy, I’d be dropping it off with a tech to do the soldering!

I’ve had it done numerous times - lately on the Powertap Earth in my Gibson - it already had the female jack but the cable was unnecessarily long for a permanent install so I had the cable shortened and re-soldered.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 03-06-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:

yes, but you lose a volume wheel (NC-2 has a mix wheel) and battery life is cut in half (500 to 250 hours per Mojotone). Also there is no way to just use mic - it is only flavor added to the main pickup. I don't want that option but some might.

Not a diss as I have the NC-2, but there are some tradeoffs.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-06-2023, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Agree with you all on the mini jack. In fact I made that suggestion when Mojotone was asking what I/we wanted in a pickup. I used the NC-1 a few weeks ago in my Taylor AD22e that still has the ES2 in it. I fashioned something with velcro to my strap that worked ok, but the weight of a cable still wants to pull the output jack down...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-24-2023, 06:13 PM

I just received one of these for my birthday and I’m very impressed. As an initial test I installed it in my Alvarez MFA66SHB and ran it through a Baggs Venue set flat into my Fishman Loudbox Mini. With the mic mix at about 40% it was **** near perfect to my ears with no EQ. I had no issues with tapping the pickup but I’m a fingerstyle player. The sound was rich & balanced and very articulate. Given, that’s just a first blush but I’m already tempted to make it a permanent installation.

Of note: as others have observed the NC2 (and I suspect the NC1) isn’t truly silent. Like most electric guitar pickups it can be influenced by some external sources and generate some hum but in my limited test it’s pretty low-level and simply repositioning the instrument can eliminate most of that noise. It’s certainly not like running vintage P90s.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...

Last edited by 89bruin; 03-24-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-26-2023, 04:32 PM

Just ordered one of these. I really hate under the saddle piezo pups, especially for steel string, and have tried a few under the saddle options also (K&K pure mini, Schaller Oyster D/S) but still bothered by the unnatural character of the sound.

Fingers crossed for this to work.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 03-26-2023, 04:41 PM

I tend to forget that it is more important how a pickup sounds in a loud band, in a large room, and through a PA than testing them in my small space. This pickup definitely has my interest, as does the NC-1.

In David Wilcox’s review of the NC-1 he talks about this phenomenon; how the crowd is going to hear the air of the room, the realism or lack thereof, of your tone. I get the feeling that these will sound really good in any situation.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I run my mic about 20% or so. I don't like it full open - too much sheen and a bit of harshness to my ear but I really don't like a lot of audio energy up that high. I do a mix of fingerpick and strum on an OM.

It sounds fabulous through a Fractal FM3 into a Red Sound Eris.8. Smooth and balanced. It also sounds good direct into my DeCapo and even straight into the 30M (using the channel 4 hi-z input). Great pickup that is totally reversible from an install standpoint.
Hey, very helpful thread, thanks all! I bought an NC-2 because of this thread

I use it in my Martin, also through an FM3 into a pair of RedSound Elis.8 FRFR's.

Your demo sounds great! I'd love to know how you have your FM3 setup?
Old 07-28-2023, 12:56 AM

What about percussive sound, like drum loop for play in a loop station? And Feedback problem?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Having attempted soldering previously I can assure you I’m not handy, I’d be dropping it off with a tech to do the soldering!

I’ve had it done numerous times - lately on the Powertap Earth in my Gibson - it already had the female jack but the cable was unnecessarily long for a permanent install so I had the cable shortened and re-soldered.
Speak of the devil, I’ve literally spent about 10 frustrating hours trying to solder an NC-passive to a strap-jack. My initial attempt had an intermittent noise problem, and the last two attempts (with the used jack) have yielded nothing but ground noise. At this point I should take it to a pro just to see if I’ve ruined the pickup. If the pickup is still good, I should probably have the pro make the connection. I have three new Baggs strap-jacks on the way.

I’d also like to spend more time trying to up my soldering game, but getting better soldering gear and ruining pickups can get expensive.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
My guess is the NC Passive is dead quiet but who knows. I only point this out because if someone is seeking a truly "noise free" signal, it might disappoint.

The NC-Passive is not quiet. Someone else said in a different thread that the cable itself is quite microphonic. I didn't believe that until buying and hearing it for myself. It does pick up noise from anything that touches it.

I wonder if the NC-1 and 2 would benefit from an external pre, specifically one that has a lift/ground switch?
Old 08-04-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The NC-Passive is not quiet. Someone else said in a different thread that the cable itself is quite microphonic. I didn't believe that until buying and hearing it for myself. It does pick up noise from anything that touches it.

I wonder if the NC-1 and 2 would benefit from an external pre, specifically one that has a lift/ground switch?
I'm the one who said the NC-passive cable was microphonic.

I've got much worse problems with the NC-passive now. On my first attempt to solder it to a strap-jack, I was getting a bit of intermittent noise from the pickup. Two more attempts yielded nothing but a ground hum. I finally took it to an electronics tech who opened it up and said that the cable was good, but that something inside the pickup (beyond the cable leads that he could access) was bad. He could have kept attempting to fix it but I didn't want turn a $20 investigation into a $100 failed repair job.

I was having a problem with accidentally striking the pickup anyway, so I've decided just to move on to plan B. I've ordered a passive Fishman NEO D humbucker to compliment the Baggs Lyric in the same guitar. The Lyric works pretty well for strumming, but I need to add some signal which is less feedback prone for bare-fingered picking in a noisy setting.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'm the one who said the NC-passive cable was microphonic.

I've got much worse problems with the NC-passive now. On my first attempt to solder it to a strap-jack, I was getting a bit of intermittent noise from the pickup. Two more attempts yielded nothing but a ground hum. I finally took it to an electronics tech who opened it up and said that the cable was good, but that something inside the pickup (beyond the cable leads that he could access) was bad. He could have kept attempting to fix it but I didn't want turn a $20 investigation into a $100 failed repair job.

I was having a problem with accidentally striking the pickup anyway, so I've decided just to move on to plan B. I've ordered a passive Fishman NEO D humbucker to compliment the Baggs Lyric in the same guitar. The Lyric works pretty well for strumming, but I need to add some signal which is less feedback prone for bare-fingered picking in a noisy setting.
That's a bummer since these are nothing cheap! I'm guessing the alterations voided any warranty from Mojotone as well. You may still have them repair it even if out of pocket.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
That's a bummer since these are nothing cheap! I'm guessing the alterations voided any warranty from Mojotone as well. You may still have them repair it even if out of pocket.
The tech told me that it's hard to understand how I could have harmed the pickup with a poor soldering job. He doesn't think that my soldering could have transferred enough heat through two feet of cable to damage the pickup. A problem didn''t present itself until afer my first soldering job, however. Considering that factor, I have to assume responsibility for the damage.

The odds are that paying more for a repair would just be throwing good money after bad. Presuming the pickup can actually be repaired, it's "talk back" factor and it's history of having a problem would discourage me from using it personally or selling a potential problem to someone else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification