The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2023, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Retrofit electronics for Taylor 714CE

I have an older Taylor 714CE with a barn door Fishman Matrix blend system. The guitar itself is great with a magnificent neck and acoustic tone. The electronics have not aged well though. I’m doing a lot more acoustic shows lately and I’m torn between unloading this versus updating the electronics. It’s a well-played guitar with a few dings, plus the older electronics diminish the value. Tentatively poking around it seems I’d take kind of a bath selling or trading it (at least compared to what more recent ones go for used) so I’m considering just keeping it and replacing the electronics.

The Fishman Aura Onboard system appears to be a drop-in replacement but it’s kind of obscenely expensive and I have to wonder if there is a diminishing return there…it won’t dramatically alter the value of the instrument after blowing around $600 between purchase and install, and I’m not sure I would even like that tone (I suppose I could try an outboard Aura system first with the guitar set to pure Piezo and everything flat to get an idea). I think Taylor can retrofit an ES2, they have a plastic panel they can put there with the ES controls. Probably similar cost but I haven’t gotten a price yet.

What say you? Are there other options, particularly with more preferred electronics but that still use the cutout (rather than just covering it up). Or take the hit and get something newer?

For the record….not married to Taylor in any way if I move on. I like Taylors for nuanced fingerpicking…I like Martins and some other guitars for strumming and single note lead playing. My fav is my Lowden 025C but I don’t take it out of the house much LOL. I have plenty of instruments and always willing to try something new.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:02 PM

Perhaps consider this approach?

https://forum.lrbaggs.com/forum/main...xisting-preamp
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-25-2023, 03:46 PM

I could not get what I was looking for with the Taylor ES2 in my 514ce. Adding a parametric eq was just what I needed. I went with the Empress parametric eq pedal. I added a LR Baggs M1 Active and I quite pleased with the electric tone now.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraDuncan View Post
I think my local shop would do a nice job on something like this. I didn’t know there was a barn door version of the Anthem. Also a pricey system but I have an anthem in my vintage Guild F512 and it sounds very nice so at least if I spend the money I know I’ll like it. Just not sure about the Aura system. Thanks!

I *have* noticed that the overall output level of the Anthem is decidedly less than most of my other acoustic/electric guitars but it sounds great.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb7 View Post
I could not get what I was looking for with the Taylor ES2 in my 514ce. Adding a parametric eq was just what I needed. I went with the Empress parametric eq pedal. I added a LR Baggs M1 Active and I quite pleased with the electric tone now.
Th ES2 isn’t my favorite system but it’s not bad, and certainly better than what I’ve got. I’ve got plenty of outboard tone shaping I can do. But if I spend that kind of money I’d rather love it!
Old 03-27-2023, 07:22 AM

My 2000 Taylor 310CE has the Onboard Stereo Blender. Many years ago, I was reading here that some people were wiring the K&K Pure Mini bridgeplate pickups into the Prefix preamps. I chose the same approach and at the time, really enjoyed the sounds my guitar was producing. Today, however, I find it is not quite to my liking any longer. My ears are now favoring the Rare Earth Mic Blend, and I am considering installing one into that instrument. I also have a 2002 Big Baby with the same preamp and K&K setup. That guitar is presently set up with Nashville tuning.

Maybe I need a different amplifier for them? They are being sent through several stages of preamps starting with my Rane AP13, going to my Ultrasound AG50DS2, and that gives me a post-efx line out to an ISP Stealth power amp which is powering my Daedalus Audio C-81.

I use the AG50DS2 for an effects loop for my pedalboard. I will say the Rare Earth equipped guitars are absolutely perfect through those amps.
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Boss RC-50
Old 03-27-2023, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraDuncan View Post
My 2000 Taylor 310CE has the Onboard Stereo Blender. Many years ago, I was reading here that some people were wiring the K&K Pure Mini bridgeplate pickups into the Prefix preamps. I chose the same approach and at the time, really enjoyed the sounds my guitar was producing. Today, however, I find it is not quite to my liking any longer.
I was actually wondering if folks are able to jury-rig systems in this way. That’s an interesting solution and I had actually specifically wondered if I could swap out the internal mic for k&k sensors. Apparently so….but then it still gets mated to a 20-year-old preamp design that’s a pain to dial in. Still food for thought.

My Lowden has a Highlander pickup in it, and it’s actually a pretty nice and natural sounding system (especially considering the age). But I *really* need an onboard volume control and I wish there was some way to do that. I use an LR Baggs outboard preamp with it but that’s a total pain. I do lots of tweaks on the fly.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjojox View Post
I was actually wondering if folks are able to jury-rig systems in this way. That’s an interesting solution and I had actually specifically wondered if I could swap out the internal mic for k&k sensors. Apparently so….but then it still gets mated to a 20-year-old preamp design that’s a pain to dial in. Still food for thought.

My Lowden has a Highlander pickup in it, and it’s actually a pretty nice and natural sounding system (especially considering the age). But I *really* need an onboard volume control and I wish there was some way to do that. I use an LR Baggs outboard preamp with it but that’s a total pain. I do lots of tweaks on the fly.
Wiring in K&K pickups to the microphone portion is a possibility. My other guitar was having humming issues with the blender, and it turned out that the mic on the body of the preamp was the problem. I sourced another Fishman blender and got it wired in and most of the hum went away. Most.

I prefer having the mic and bridgeplate pickup due to my playing style. I'll continue to use the 310CE as it is equipped, but I think I have retired the Big Baby from live shows.
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Boss RC-50

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification