The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2023, 12:03 PM

AeroUSA
Besides EQ features and max volume I don't hear any difference between the K8.2 and the CP8. How do you feel the K8.2 is better? With acoustic guitar/vocals do you really hear a "punch" difference?
Old 02-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
AeroUSA
Besides EQ features and max volume I don't hear any difference between the K8.2 and the CP8. How do you feel the K8.2 is better? With acoustic guitar/vocals do you really hear a "punch" difference?
Yeah the extra volume and superior build quality just make the whole thing better and takes longer to start breaking up. I love the K8’s.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Because I played today and needed an all in one, 15lb speaker to take on the subway.

I will say this though. There is no way that the Everse is 450w and the JBL is 150w. They are much closer than that.
It is just for short transients… the average is going to be the same or almost.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-25-2023, 01:44 PM

AeroUSA
With Acoustic guitar do you really need more than the CP8's 124dB? I never play anywhere near clipping or breaking up with that speaker.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
AeroUSA
With Acoustic guitar do you really need more than the CP8's 124dB? I never play anywhere near clipping or breaking up with that speaker.
I guess it’s a feel thing. The K8 just has a more robust sound I guess. I used the CP8 last night and it sounded great too.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It is just for short transients… the average is going to be the same or almost.
There’s definitely more headroom regardless of volume. Whatever that means. The app is ridiculous though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I guess it’s a feel thing. The K8 just has a more robust sound I guess. I used the CP8 last night and it sounded great too.
I’ve heard people mention a battery pack and all that…my issue with all this? I don’t want to bring a mixer out and all that. I don’t play solo so much (I’m more a drummer or use this as a backup amp almost) so it’s highly inconvenient. Plus all the decibe numbers out there are ridiculous. The Everse 8 claims to be like 10db louder than the JBL and 3 or so less than the CP8, but it doesn’t seem to translate. Yamaha has a new stage pass portable coming out (like 25 pounds) that claims to be a few decibels louder than this thing. So I’ve always found it funny people throw those numbers out when they clearly aren’t meaningful. I just legitimately want a loud speaker with a mixer built in. The Everse 8 is pretty awesome and it pretty much works for me especially if I use a separate guitar amp for certain stuff. But their advertisements in my mind are kinda false. But it does sound good, and it has very very good throw, which to me is sometimes better than volume.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:16 AM

Default Everse Mixer Question

What's the difference between the level setting at the MAIN screen and the volume setting at the SPEAKER screen? Both appear to boost volume across the channels but they don't mirror each other.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 02-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
What's the difference between the level setting at the MAIN screen and the volume setting at the SPEAKER screen? Both appear to boost volume across the channels but they don't mirror each other.
This confused me at first, because EV doesn't believe in documentation, preferring musicians embark on a journey of discovery. If you drill down a little you'll see they control different parameters apart from volume, and I think the designers see Main as the main place to adjust volume.

I think of the Speaker settings as baseline settings for the physical PA. There's basic bass/mid/treble options on the main Speaker screen, plus volume. But lower on the screen you see X-over/Location/Function/Mode. The latter is music/speech etc.

On Main, the volume control is this great tall vertical thumbwheel where it's much easier to fine-tine the setting. At bottom you'll also see the PEQ option which opens another screen with lots more more tone-shaping features. (Don't miss being able to switch between PEQ and GEQ on the Everse; I see only GEQ on my 30m).

What I always tell new users is not to make the mistake I did: You can mute sound at Speaker, and Main, and the individual channel. I didn't get the difference between Speaker and Main and thought I had a dead PA (30m in my case) because I'd muted at Speaker and was staring angrily at my Main channel with volume turned all the way up.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:38 PM

I believe you’d look at it from a gainstaging perspective. Most people I know keep mains at zero unless they need a bit more signal. It’s a gain of all the outputs I believe, where the volume is the actual speaker volume you use to fine tune volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
This confused me at first, because EV doesn't believe in documentation, preferring musicians embark on a journey of discovery. If you drill down a little you'll see they control different parameters apart from volume, and I think the designers see Main as the main place to adjust volume.

I think of the Speaker settings as baseline settings for the physical PA. There's basic bass/mid/treble options on the main Speaker screen, plus volume. But lower on the screen you see X-over/Location/Function/Mode. The latter is music/speech etc.

On Main, the volume control is this great tall vertical thumbwheel where it's much easier to fine-tine the setting. At bottom you'll also see the PEQ option which opens another screen with lots more more tone-shaping features. (Don't miss being able to switch between PEQ and GEQ on the Everse; I see only GEQ on my 30m).

What I always tell new users is not to make the mistake I did: You can mute sound at Speaker, and Main, and the individual channel. I didn't get the difference between Speaker and Main and thought I had a dead PA (30m in my case) because I'd muted at Speaker and was staring angrily at my Main channel with volume turned all the way up.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
I believe you’d look at it from a gainstaging perspective. Most people I know keep mains at zero unless they need a bit more signal. It’s a gain of all the outputs I believe, where the volume is the actual speaker volume you use to fine tune volume.
Me, I rarely touch the Speaker settings on my 30m. The volume control with a tiny horizontal line on that screen is too crude for me to fine-tune, especially live. It defaults to 0db--and I leave it there. As it does on all the other screens, including Main and the channels, where I do my tweaking. Comparing specifically the Speaker to the Main volume controls, the tall vertical thumbwheel on the latter at right is so much easier to work with. I do all of this on a smartphone fwiw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EV.jpg (27.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Chriscom; 02-26-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Me, I rarely touch the Speaker settings on my 30m. The volume control with a tiny horizontal line on that screen is too crude for me to fine-tune, especially live. It defaults to 0db--and I leave it there. As it does on all the other screens, including Main and the channels, where I do my tweaking. Comparing specifically the Speaker to the Main volume controls, the tall vertical thumbwheel on the latter at right is so much easier to work with. I do all of this on a smartphone fwiw.
I’ll have to experiment with that and see if there’s any noticeable volume effect or sound difference between using the Main volume vs mains. I agree, their little scroll wheel thing is cool but they’ve chosen the worst option for the speaker volume.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I could never figure this out either. I just leave the "Main" at zero and use the Speaker volume.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
I’ll have to experiment with that and see if there’s any noticeable volume effect or sound difference between using the Main volume vs mains. I agree, their little scroll wheel thing is cool but they’ve chosen the worst option for the speaker volume.
I wonder a little if EV is using different terms or different architecture or something than what might be a standard approach. I just find it really hard to believe the Speaker volume is intended as the primary setting for that, the ergonomics don't make any sense.

Now, I expect raising the volume either on the Speaker or Level on the Main screen just... raises or lowers the volume. What would be different are the other tone-shaping options I described above, like PEQ options available in Main, vs. the basic bass/mid/treble sliders and the X-Over option and all that available in Speaker. (on the Everse. The options are a bit different on my 30m).
Old 03-26-2023, 08:39 PM

I heard one for the first time tonight. Live in a small church. For a 1 man band it seems like an excellent option. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. I am intrigued by the FX EV offers. I have more PA gear than I know what to do with (many powered 10s, a couple 12s, 18" sub, 12" subs, lots of mixers, Yamaha THR30IIA, Stagepas 1k and 600i, LR Baggs Synapse, Harbinger MLS900 to name most of it), but either the Everse 8 or EV 30M is on my radar.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I heard one for the first time tonight. Live in a small church. For a 1 man band it seems like an excellent option. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. I am intrigued by the FX EV offers. I have more PA gear than I know what to do with (many powered 10s, a couple 12s, 18" sub, 12" subs, lots of mixers, Yamaha THR30IIA, Stagepas 1k and 600i, LR Baggs Synapse, Harbinger MLS900 to name most of it), but either the Everse 8 or EV 30M is on my radar.
I use mine at outdoor farmers markets a bit and it’s perfect and not too loud but I still have more volume. The effects are actually pretty good honestly. I use the short and wide doubling, reverb with short delay, and just delay a bit. People who complain about the price might have a valid thing to say, but it’s literally all in one. I can pack up and be gone in five minutes with this thing. It’s awesome!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification