The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-22-2023, 05:27 PM

Default Luthier oopsie

so I took two guitars to a reputable luthier/guitar tech for some setups. One is a cheaper Ibanez, the other is a nicer Yamaha.

They said they would evaluate both guitars and call within a couple days with a quote for the work to be done before doing it, then about a week and a half turnaround to get it all done. Ok, that works.

A few days go by, and I still never got a call about a quote. I called them, more than anything to inquire about upgrading to a bone saddle and nut on the cheaper Ibanez, if it's not too late. They recommended the new saddle, saying it would improve the sound, but said the nut made less difference. I asked to add a new saddle on the Ibanez to the work order. They said OK sure, they'd put a new saddle on the Ibanez, plus the setup work for it and the Yamaha, and that they'd call me within a couple days with that final quote first.

Another week goes by, and I finally get a call. "Hey, we're calling you to let you know we actually got your guitars done last week, and are just now getting around to calling you to come get them."

I said, oh, well I thought I'd first get that call you mentioned with a quote before doing the work, but no big deal, I'm mostly just glad it's done. What work did you end up doing?

"well, we did a setup and installed a new nut and saddle on your Yamaha, plus we did a setup on your Martin."

Huh? I asked for just a setup on the Yamaha, not a saddle or nut. Plus, I don't have a Martin, my other guitar is an Ibanez. That's the one I asked for a new saddle install!

They act a little panicked, and say they'll call right back. At they end of the day, they call back, and say, "OK we got that setup and saddle on your Ibanez after all, plus just the setup on your Yamaha."

I have yet to go pick it up. But, my question for you guys is, what the heck? Should I be concerned generally, or about anything in particular? Should I ask specific questions, like, "did you just put the original nut and saddle back onto the Yamaha?" What other questions should I ask, or issues should I look for?

(and, yes, for a split second, I thought about just rolling with it, and going down and pretending like some random Martin was mine....)
Old 03-22-2023, 05:36 PM

Go get your Martin, no just kidding. You did the right thing but ask those questions.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:19 AM

Hahahaha! Yes nice score

The first thing I do is have you fill out a little tag with your name, number, email and so on. Then I write on the tag the work to be done and then tie the tag off on the case handle of the guitar. That way nothing gets mixed up.

I admit though a couple times in the past when I failed to tie off a tag or something like that I had to wait for the customer to call in and ask about the guitar, "Oh which guitar?" "The 12-String Yamaha." "OOOOH That guitar yeah yeah that one sure I'll have it done by the end of the day..."

It happens.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:31 AM

When you pick them up, 1) verify the work they did is what they are charging you for, and 2) did they do the work you wanted done? If they didn’t do the work you requested, or they charge you for something they didn’t do, I would sort out the bill, pay them and find a different luthier. A person less inclined to knee-jerk, self undermining reactions (as I occasionally am: It’s the Scot’s in me) might fill out a tag itemizing the work yet to be done, hang it on the guitar and make them finish the job. If they managed to do everything you wanted, and the communication errors where because their office person is a space cadet, I might continue working with them. It depends on whether this was a one time goof up or if it is how they do all their work.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:32 AM

Stuff happens.

I once sent off my daughters saxophone for a cleaning and a quote for any repairs that may be needed. A few weeks later I called and was told. There was a mistake it got a complete repad and reconditioning. Because it was our mistake we will only charge you for the cleaning.

Good honest repair shop.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:38 AM

yea.. Frustrating.

ya know some of these guys are really good

some are "meh" about getting back to you but do decent work.

and some you don't even want to walk into their shop.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The first thing I do is have you fill out a little tag with your name, number, email and so on. Then I write on the tag the work to be done and then tie the tag off on the case handle of the guitar. That way nothing gets mixed up.
When I take a guitar in for work, I type up a memo on what work I want to be done, with my contact information. I put one copy in the strings of the guitar in its case, and I hand the other to the repair person, and we talk about it at drop-off. The first time I did this, the repair tech thanked me profusely, both when I dropped it off and at pickup.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
When I take a guitar in for work, I type up a memo on what work I want to be done, with my contact information. I put one copy in the strings of the guitar in its case, and I hand the other to the repair person, and we talk about it at drop-off. The first time I did this, the repair tech thanked me profusely, both when I dropped it off and at pickup.
Oh yeah it was totally different when I used to work for the music stores in my area. They would print out all the necessary work needed and of course with a phone number I could call the client and ask questions, which often times I would.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:00 AM

Update!

so I go pick up my guitars. They confirm they did change the nut and saddle on the Yamaha, but didn't charge me for it, cuz I didn't ask for it. They confirm a new saddle on the Ibanez.

Both are set up well and playing a lot better, which is what I wanted all along, so I guess it worked out.

I guess I could have been more of a stickler about how this could have all been avoided if they had made that call with a quote before performing the work like they said they would, but whatever.

At that point, my only move left was to go full Karen and demand to speak to a manager, cuz where the heck is my Martin?!
Old 03-29-2023, 12:11 PM

Update:

so both guitars play better. You can tell they filed down the nut for sure.

But, both guitars are now prone to fret buzz - even more than they buzzed pre-setup.

This buzz occurs mostly just when strumming with a pick.

I took them back and another luthier at the shop adjusted the truss rod, which mitigated the buzzing, but also raised the action to higher than ideal. He said, "if it keeps buzzing, bring it back and I'll shim the saddle for ya, for a few bucks more."

But I'm thinking, I just spent a good wad of cash for you to fix the buzzing, but it didn't, and if anything, it got worse.

So I guess my question is, is it possible the luthier set the saddles too low?

Should it have been up to me to mention I mostly strum with a pick, rather than finger style? Does that make a difference? What's the differences/pros/cons of adjusting action via saddle shims, vs neck relief/truss rod? Would a saddle shim help with buzzing, while also keeping a relatively lower action (versus just raising the action via the neck relief/truss rod)? Could I be strumming too hard, and should I have to adjust my own technique?

(fwiw I haven't had serious issues with buzzing before/on other instruments that I didn't already know needed a setup.)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:25 PM

Every shop I've taken my guitars to has written down the scope of work and detailed description of the guitar..mfg model serial number and i get a copy.. When the call for the quote for the work they note it on the work oder date and time. You can also text or email confirmation of the cost. Your shop sounds a little loose with processing orders and that's fine until something goes wrong
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I would first slap a capo on 1 and see if that buzzing is fixed.
If it buzzes with the capo, truss rod, or saddle or both.
If the capo solves it, nut slots are possibly too deep.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:49 PM

Do you have the tools to measure action? If it's not buzzing on the open strings then the nut is not too low and it sounds like you noticed an improvement there so that's good. It's quite possible for a guitar to go out of adjustment after a setup and that is why I let people come back for minor tweaks to get it right even weeks after at no charge. It's all part of the set up fee.

If you can measure the string height at the 12th fret let us know. To measure relief pres and hold the 1st fret and they 14th fret and observe the airspace at the 7th fret. It should be about as much space as a folded dollar bill.

Yes it does make a difference on whether you use a pick or play finger style and in fact what thickness a pick you use too. I always ask about that. If you are the kind of player that bangs on open chords with a thick pick then I set the bass strings on the nut a tad bit higher and go for medium action not low, for example.

But for most set ups there is some buzz that needs to be tolerated if you want it to be as low as it goes. The buzz should only occur on the notes that you hit hard though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair