The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 07:19 PM

Default Looking for a Short Scale

GC was empty this afternoon, so I played several guitars. The staff was short-handed, so they all left me pretty much alone for an hour or so. I am mostly fingerstyle, but strummed a little too. I played the following:

Yamaha CSF3M
Martin LX1E
Taylor 12 Academy (not really short scale, but smaller body)
Taylor GS Mini Spruce Top/Walnut BS

Here's my take for anyone interested (everyone's taste is different, but IMHO )

Ratings:
1. Taylor GS Mini hands down for depth, warmth and not sounding like a toy guitar. Really quite extraordinary low end for the size.

2. Yamaha CSF3M such a surprise, but man this thing plays nicely and the sound was very comparable to the GS Mini, but not quite the warmth in the lows. Very nice mids and uppers without sounding thin and toy-like

3. Taylor Academy 12 was very nice and certainly worth the very affordable price tag, but just didn't sit as well as the GS Mini and the CSF3M.

4. Martin LX1E. "Little Martin". The smallest of them all, and I REALLY wanted to like this one since I am a Martin fan, but it just doesn't compare to the others in this class. It is fun to play, so 5 stars for that, but it really does sound like a toy even with the solid sitka spruce top.

All are affordable in the $450 - $650 range (new), but for me its the Taylor GS Mini for the win.

To each his/her own, but it was fun to actually sit and play them side by side uninterrupted after reading all of the reviews and listening to endless YouTube reviews.
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 PM

Interesting review and comparisons, so thank you for that. My own favourite short scale guitar in the sort of price range you mentioned ,is the Alvarez AP70.It punches above its weight and I particularly like the wider nut.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:40 PM

Thumbs up Interesting Assessment!

I think you are spot on with your assessment of the 4 guitars. I have 3 of them and only played the Academy 12 in a GC for about 5 minutes. The Little Martin is my wife’s.

So those looking for Short Scale guitars, you have 2 opinions here to consider.

The usual YMMV applies too...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 AM

The Academy is what is called "short scale" at 25" but not as short as the little monster. I think the sound of the Academy is great, as good as my Martin 00018. I am not a Taylor fan so Im not making a fanboy statement.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 AM

We don't know where you are, but the Teton parlor was my choice for a nice small guitar at $500. 1.75 nut width, 00 size (despite the name), 24.25" scale, and good sound and playability for a small bodied guitar. Mine is the now discontinued sunburst DVB version. https://tetonguitars.com/product-cat...ustics/parlor/

A dealer locator is on their web site. FYI, we've gone through two GS Mini's (both spruce and mahogany top) and I would pick the Teton in a heartbeat, speaking as Taylor fan. You just don't see them often in stores, since Teton is a regional company based in eastern Idaho.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:38 AM

Alvares AP (either 66 or 70) parlor.
Larrivée parlor.
Gibson L-1/L-OO; Martin OOO...
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

About a year ago I snagged an AP70 off Craigslist, $240. The fellow said he didn't play it much b/c it just "didn't click" with him. They always need a setup it seems. I went to have a look/listen and sure enough it seemed completely unplayed, but needed a setup. I quietly paid him, had the setup done, new strings, and I have to say it's quite the guitar for the $325 I put into it.

I love that it is a 00 size (in spite of the "parlor" in its name).

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-31-2020, 02:24 PM

Picked up an Alvarez MP610esb with hsc for <$300. Short scale 12 fretter with1 3/4" nut, love the neck and tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
short scale, taylor gs mini, travel guitar