The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Bohemian Rhapsody in IMax

Not sure which section this belongs in, so mods feel free to move if necessary.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night in IMax. It's a must see for anyone who's a Queen fan or a fan of Rock and Roll in general.

If you have the chance to see it in IMax, go for it. The IMax is limited run in some theaters so don't wait too long if there's an IMax showing in your area.

It was wonderfully done and has some great behind the scenes info that a lot of us probably didn't know.

As Brain May was one of the producers, I have to believe that there's not a lot of license taken with the history.

Overall, a definite MUST SEE!

Thanks!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I learned that Freddie moved into my small west of London village in 1964 (when I was 16 and already playing in local bands.

He lived less than 20 miles away from me.

Brian May was born and raised in Hampton and went to the Grammar school that I would have gone to if not prevented by social streaming back then.
other musicians from the same school were Paul Samwell-Smith (bass) and Jim McCarty (Drums) who played in the Yardbirds (a local band that I knew well. Jim lived two doord down from our singer - so we often met in the street loading up our individual vans for gigs!

Phil Collins (drummer -Gemnesis etc) also played in the same area as my bands so we probably met a few times.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Brian May was/is considered the best guitarist by Steve Vai which is a pretty decent commendation considering that Steve Vai is probably the best technical guitarist on the planet.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Brian May was/is considered the best guitarist by Steve Vai which is a pretty decent commendation considering that Steve Vai is probably the best technical guitarist on the planet.
It's a toss between him and Jimmy Page. Probably May had a longer prime.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM

I saw the movie on Saturday. Not in IMAX, but in the largest auditorium at our best local movie theater. I enjoyed it a lot.

The actors who got cast look remarkably like the band members they're representing, particular the actor who's playing Brian May. It was clear that the actor can play guitar, as well. I'm sure he got coached as to the precise hand positions for the various songs, but he moved like an actual musician, not like an actor pretending to be a musician.

whm
Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 PM

since i haven't seen it, are they lip syncing or are they actually singing and playing the music?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-06-2018, 03:43 PM

Saw it over the weekend at our local IMAX theater and really liked it.

They definitely mess with the actual timeline of events, but I guess that's necessary to squeeze everything into a two hour movie. I also wish they could have explored a bit more of the non-hits, but not enough time.

I've also read some criticism that Freddie takes too much of the blame for "breaking up the band" especially since both Brian and Roger had, in reality, put out solo projects before Freddie did. Also that the non-Freddie members of the band are pretty sanitized.

I loved seeing Mike Myers get a role in the movie because of Wayne's World.

Still, it's all about the music.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
since i haven't seen it, are they lip syncing or are they actually singing and playing the music?

play music!
The singing is a combination of Rami Malek, Freddie Mercury and a fair amount of Marc Martel.

bohemian-rhapsody-biopic-sounds-like-freddie-but-its-marc-martel

Edited to add this video, which was one of the video auditions that Marc Martel did to get the gig of singing in the movie. Pretty impressive Freddie Mercury impersonation!

Last edited by matt986; 11-07-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Add another video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN