The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2023, 01:48 PM

Default Anyone try the Soundpaint VST for your DAW?

I've been using Soundpaint for about year and I always liked it. The interface is pretty cool and unique and you get a free piano and some ambient instruments too. But, recently, they updated to version 2.0 with a new tech called HAL (Hyper Acoustic Legato) and it's quite amazing when playing with a MIDI keyboard.

Here's an example of a sax I bought ($20... not bad) that uses it:

Now, I really don't know how to play sax, but I was just messing around. This is one take on that solo too. I imagine if put more time into researching a bit more how saxes play solos, it would be even better. (The background track is my own too... pretty simple though.)

Anyhow, I'm just giving a heads up.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-13-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I've been using Soundpaint for about year and I always liked it. The interface is pretty cool and unique and you get a free piano and some ambient instruments too. But, recently, they updated to version 2.0 with a new tech called HAL (Hyper Acoustic Legato) and it's quite amazing when playing with a MIDI keyboard.

Now, I really don't know how to play sax, but I was just messing around. This is one take on that solo too. I imagine if put more time into researching a bit more how saxes play solos, it would be even better. (The background track is my own too... pretty simple though.)

Anyhow, I'm just giving a heads up.
I downloaded it and am waiting for a cello. I need cello and sax and maybe the flute. Very expressive just using the mod wheel. the owner has a video on his site that shows some sax playing tricks. It would be great to have swam instruments for 20bucks that don't need two expression pedals and cost an arm and leg. O yeah...harmonica and accordian would be nice as well.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 01-14-2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
I downloaded it and am waiting for a cello. I need cello and sax and maybe the flute. Very expressive just using the mod wheel. the owner has a video on his site that shows some sax playing tricks. It would be great to have swam instruments for 20bucks that don't need two expression pedals and cost an arm and leg. O yeah...harmonica and accordian would be nice as well.
You already had it or you just downloaded it?

Yeah, the tech is promising especially considering this is just the first iteration of it. It's already quite good.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-14-2023, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a nice sounding instrument but it lacks articulations that would give it a better sense of realism. Does that program not have articulations for the various instruments?

However, it's certainly better than what was available 20+ years ago. I recorded this song back around 2000. I didn't have the money to hire a sax player. The solo was the best sax sound we could manage at that time. It's a bit cringe to my ears now.

Contrast that against this song I recorded in 2019 for which I hired a professional session sax player and that 2000 song feels so much worse. I should redo that song from 2000 one of these days and hire the same sax guy.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-14-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You already had it or you just downloaded it?

Yeah, the tech is promising especially considering this is just the first iteration of it. It's already quite good.
as v2 was being announced as coming, I downloaded v1, installed it, then updated to v2...all for free. I've tried the piano and it's pretty good, but a piano is not in need of the expression of a sax, so it's kinda of hard to evaluate. but his videos blew my mind at what he was able to accomplish with just a modwheel. Seems he's creating vst instruments based on instruments in his collection thus far. Like I said when the cello comes I'll get it, the sax and maybe the flute.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-14-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's a nice sounding instrument but it lacks articulations that would give it a better sense of realism. Does that program not have articulations for the various instruments?

However, it's certainly better than what was available 20+ years ago. I recorded this song back around 2000. I didn't have the money to hire a sax player. The solo was the best sax sound we could manage at that time. It's a bit cringe to my ears now.

Contrast that against this song I recorded in 2019 for which I hired a professional session sax player and that 2000 song feels so much worse. I should redo that song from 2000 one of these days and hire the same sax guy.
listening to his videos and looking at the program, it has articulations but they're done by ai, depending on velocity and the modwheel. It might not be a swam, but it comes close for alot less and much easier to manipulate . It ain't easy playing swam with expression pedals, or faders.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 01-14-2023, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
listening to his videos and looking at the program, it has articulations but they're done by ai, depending on velocity and the modwheel. It might not be a swam, but it comes close for alot less and much easier to manipulate . It ain't easy playing swam with expression pedals, or faders.
Articulations by AI wouldn't work for me. I'm not good enough on keyboards to pull that off. I tend to work phrase by phrase and then add the articulations in the midi editor window after the phrase is laid down. Once all the articulations are in place, I roughly get the dynamics sorted and then do a final polish with either clip gain or volume automation.

But like I said, it's a much better sound than what was available in the past. For $20, you really can't hate that sax.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-14-2023, 02:48 PM

Here's another quick example:

Sax solo is at the end. Again, I really don't know what I'm doing and not great at keyboard either. It's kind of easy to play.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-14-2023, 07:42 PM

These guys have been doing some really great stuff. The J8X package is just over the top for the price. The Braam PKG is so cool and such an epic start to ambient and cinematic stuff. For $15.00 the ambient noise is worth every penny. Like many have said I'm waiting for a cello and solo violin. Bass violin as well.

I'm not a keyboard player by nature so the added level of touch and after touch makes things so much easier on me.

Spectrasonic's Atmosphere and Omnisphere change my music making. Arturia Analog and Pigments was the next quantum leap. Soundpaint is clearly next in line.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

It certainly seems promising thanks for the heads up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD