The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2023, 02:06 PM

Default Seeking Advice On Guitar Processing

These short guitar clips are from very a basic singer/songwriter recording, just guitar and vocal. Guitar was recorded Mid-Side with two mics set to the appropriate patterns, about 14 inches from the 12th fret. I'm interested in suggestions on post production effects, particularly EQ, that might improve the overall natural sound. (I believe there may be some unpleasant ringing between 800 - 1200 HZ.) There are three tracks, one strummed and two fingerpicked, each unprocessed and under one minute long. Thanks.

001 - Fingerpicked
002 - Fingerpicked
003 - Flatpicked

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
Old 01-13-2023, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I did a quick listen to the fingerpicking take. Sounds nice to me, I think EQ would just depend on taste and how it sounds with the vocal. There were a few boomy notes, that I'd probably try to reduce with some dynamic EQ, and there's a bit of a peak around 4K, which isn't uncommon.

One thing I do notice is that this track is really wide, and phase correlation is hovering around 0. My guess is that you went really wide with the side level when decoding the MS, or that your side mic was hotter than it should be for a natural-sounding MS. On the other hand, ultra-wide can sound nice, and at least with MS, you have the mono compatibility still there. But you might listen to this in mono and see if you still like it. It'd be interesting to see your undecoded MS track.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:25 PM

Thanks, Doug. Very helpful as usual.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Nice overall. A bit boxy. Mike position experimenting will help that. Personally I prefer recording regular spaced pair mikes and keeping it post recording as hard right and hard left channels.
Example of one of my recording that sounds guitar realistic to my ears:
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/Blusey.mp3

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-13-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nice overall. A bit boxy. Mike position experimenting will help that. Personally I prefer recording regular spaced pair mikes and keeping it post recording as hard right and hard left channels.
Example of one of my recording that sounds guitar realistic to my ears:
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/Blusey.mp3
you're great man...beautiful
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 01-13-2023, 09:53 PM

Nice playing and nice sounding. For me there's definitely a problem somewhere around 120 Hz-150 Hz. I didn't put it on the meter so that's a guess. 4K a tad more, but also (for me) it needs something at or above 8K.

That's of course being picky. Sounds great as is!
Old 01-13-2023, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great Adrian,

If you want to get rid of the "cloud" sound get it at the source instead of post. Try again with a high pass somewhere between 60 to 75. Scoop mid range at 400 to 700. Boost air slightly at 4 to 8 or to taste.

Experiment with your source until you think it sounds killer. Then record. You've got time and there's no hurry. Get the source right and then in post you just sweeten and add any spacials you may want or need.

Billy
Old 01-13-2023, 11:43 PM

Just a quick listen & I felt it was too wide. A lot less of the S signal would help focus things better.

There were definite wolf tones around 150Hz & 1K (give or take, I didn't put it on an FFT). There's also a harshness in the 3k-4k range. I'd play around with mic position a little to see if you can get a more even sound before resorting to EQ.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-14-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I always (yes, always) run a HPF on tracks, save maybe a bass or kick, big djembe, i.e., something that might have close to subsonic content. Your acoustic guitar does not (unless you're a body tapper/drummer), but there's still energy in that track below the guitar's lowest fundamental, and that can affect any processing that comes later.

I kind of agree with the "too wide" comment. I've only tried a little bit of MS recording but in my small space, I have found it really only adds complexity, or maybe it's my own confusion . But, a solo guitar is pretty much a point source, so I tend to keep it fairly centered, and let any room reverb/echo (98% of the time DAW/IR) be the primary S content, even if I do put 2 mics on. I think it's more natural for the normal listener/observer, even though it's not what we hear (as the player) with our 180° ears right above the guitar.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:53 AM

Thank you all. If there's one thing I've learned it's that my 75 year old ears are not to be trusted. Other than relying on the opinion of others I'm not sure how to deal with that. I've boosted a narrow section in my equalizer and scanned through the frequencies and to me these tracks seem to have an unpleasant harsh ringing between 800 - 1000 kHz. Lowering that range, even notching it out, seems to remove it but now I'm wondering if I can trust what I'm hearing. Maybe I'll post my eq'd versions as well for comparison if no one objects.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

The 1st recording could use a high pass, too much bass for my ears. The 2nd two were better.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD