The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Default Zoom H2N settings...

Your favorite for vocal and guitar?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Do you mean how it's aimed, or what?

If you are asking about the audio file settings, (on my old H2) I use 24-bit depth, non-lossy (WAV) format, and 48k sample rate, or perhaps 44.1k if you will never be syncing to ~24fps video.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Do you mean how it's aimed, or what?

If you are asking about the audio file settings, (on my old H2) I use 24-bit depth, non-lossy (WAV) format, and 48k sample rate, or perhaps 44.1k if you will never be syncing to ~24fps video.
Stuff like do you prefer xy or ms or 2ch or even 4ch over the other mic settings,. Maybe distance from singer etc
Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Your favorite for vocal and guitar?
Hi CASD57

To record someone playing acoustic and singing, I mount My H2n about 18" away (or my H4n or H1n depending on the project) on a tripod and run it in the X/Y setting, I usually elevate it and aim down from about forehead high at a point just under the chin and above the guitar, in line with (and above) the neck/body joint and the mouth. Here's a picture of my original Zoom H4 in a similar config, which works well with it too. I tape the lyrics/chord chart so they don't look down. In the picture below the front leg of the tripod is between his legs, and about 1" from the chair (it's a cheap little Sam's Club $20 tripod which easier to carry and store than a mic stand). This is for audio recording not video.

I monitor it with earbuds to dial it in, and then I just leave it alone and record.

I have tried recording with it pointed straight on, but angled from the top gets a better sound/balance for me.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stuff like do you prefer xy or ms or 2ch or even 4ch over the other mic settings,. Maybe distance from singer etc
@ljguitar's setup is a good place to start, and a usable stand that lets you experiment with distances and angles will really make a difference. Take some notes so you can repeat the setup when it works.

4ch will almost certainly introduce more noise and possibly phase issues - i.e., if it's just you, the only thing that the back 2 channels will add is noise and room reflections, though there's always a chance that it might be some ambience you'd want (the roar of the crowd ). But, IME, it's hard to use in all but a few situations, and those will be in good spaces or possibly even outdoors.

MS might work though the difference depends a great deal on how it's mixed and converted to XY, since that's what you have to do to make it listenable. The best answer I can suggest is to try it and compare. It does require post-processing to create a stereo file you could share. And, for me, I've never had a space that made it worth the trouble (and I have a decently treated room at home). However, I would still give it a try just so you understand what it does differently, and whether the mix-down to stereo gives you more control over how much of the edges (i.e., the far LR) are included.

P.S. (Edit) I see the H2n (vs my old H2) allows finer control over the stereo width even in XY mode, assuming I'm parsing the manual correctly. You might try just changing the width settings (since it's obviously using MS mics internally) and even something like a narrow stereo setting with the recorder on its side, e.g., with one side aimed more up and the other down to record more of the vocal in one side and guitar in the other perhaps. Getting the balance between the two is the tricky part on a single mic or single point recording setup, so it might give you some flexibility in mixing, i.e., vs. the typical XY setup that is recording in the horizontal plane.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 11-11-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi CASD57

To record someone playing acoustic and singing, I mount My H2n about 18" away (or my H4n or H1n depending on the project) on a tripod and run it in the X/Y setting, I usually elevate it and aim down from about forehead high at a point just under the chin and above the guitar, in line with (and above) the neck/body joint and the mouth. Here's a picture of my original Zoom H4 in a similar config, which works well with it too. I tape the lyrics/chord chart so they don't look down. In the picture below the front leg of the tripod is between his legs, and about 1" from the chair (it's a cheap little Sam's Club $20 tripod which easier to carry and store than a mic stand). This is for audio recording not video.

I monitor it with earbuds to dial it in, and then I just leave it alone and record.

I have tried recording with it pointed straight on, but angled from the top gets a better sound/balance for me.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

I've got a camera tripod like that one..The H2N will screw to the top so I should be able to raise it and point it down with no problem..
I'll try this and then try the different mic settings...
I appreciate guys
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've got a camera tripod like that one..The H2N will screw to the top so I should be able to raise it and point it down with no problem..
I'll try this and then try the different mic settings...
I appreciate guys
Hi CASD57

I discovered that tripods are usually less 'intimidating' to people who get nervous when the 'Record' button is pressed.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD