The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Help me choose an inexpensive PA for home recording

I've tried singing and playing guitar with my blue yeti computer mic but the guitar even played softly drowns out my vocals. I need a small pa system so I can mic myself and bring up the volume of my voice so I can record with my guitar.

Just using the blue yeti mic and singing close to the mic this is the result

Looking to spend no more than a few hundred for a mic, mic stand and PA. Recommendations and advice welcome!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
I've tried singing and playing guitar with my blue yeti computer mic but the guitar even played softly drowns out my vocals. I need a small pa system so I can mic myself and bring up the volume of my voice so I can record with my guitar.
I'm not sure I understand what you're attempting to do. If you're simply going to run one mic through a PA, you're going to have the same problem. I think the solution to your issue likely has more to do with mic positioning than anything else. You have the mic too close to the guitar and too far from your mouth. You need to play with the positioning of the mic until you achieve the balance you desire.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're attempting to do. If you're simply going to run one mic through a PA, you're going to have the same problem. I think the solution to your issue likely has more to do with mic positioning than anything else. You have the mic too close to the guitar and too far from your mouth. You need to play with the positioning of the mic until you achieve the balance you desire.
Tried positioning the mic close to my mouth but my voice isn't very strong and my guitars are strong.

What I'm thinking of doing is having 2 mics. One mic for my voice going into a PA where the PA boosts my voice in the background then playing my guitar near the other computer mic which picks up both the PA and my guitar.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Looking to spend no more than a few hundred for a mic, mic stand and PA. Recommendations and advice welcome!
Perhaps more info will help.

First you are wanting to play an sing at the same time ,yes?
You are using the Yeti with just the table top stand ?

If so then Jim is correct the mic position is likely the problem, if you are playing and singing at the same time, the general rule is the mike needs to be closer to your mouth than the guitar. ( if you have just the table stand , you might look into one of the clamp type booms for the yeti mic which are cheap like $15 to $25)

The exact position depends on your specific vocal and playing volumes
But you can start with the mic diaphragm just below chin level (and a pair of headphones will help) and go up or down from there until you get the balance you like

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tried positioning the mic close to my mouth but my voice isn't very strong and my guitars are strong.
How close to your mouth? I'm doubtful that you sing so low that if the mic were right in front of you mouth your voice wouldn't be able to compete with the guitar.

Quote:
What I'm thinking of doing is having 2 mics. One mic for my voice going into a PA where the PA boosts my voice in the background then playing my guitar near the other computer mic which picks up both the PA and my guitar.
I've never seen this done but it strikes me as a bad idea because to get the volume you need, the PA would have to be really loud and you'll have reflections flying all around the room and landing on your mic.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the insight guys, I was able to fix the problem with mic placement.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Here's how the clip sounds now with better mic placement

And another clip I wrote this afternoon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD