The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Handheld Recorders, Which one?

I've got a Tascam DR05 and a Zoom R8(Tabletop)
I find the Zoom just to much to have fun with but I'd like to build on the DR05 handheld idea.
I like the DR05 for ease of use and it sounds decent but would like to move up in audio quality but not in complexity

I'm just recording guitar and Vocals one person and any effects will be added from the computer

Recommendations?
Old 10-27-2019, 12:53 PM

I have the DR-100. It's mics are better than the DR-07 and DR-05 and it has XLR jacks for external mics, and excellent mic preamps as well as phantom power.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Hi Chris,
The DR-05 has omni mics which may be contributing to what you don't like about it.

It is possible to use external mics through the mic input jack. The DR-05 has phantom power to the jack which is turned on via the menu system. It's not an ideal solution, though.

I'm curious about what you don't like about the R8; it has a small learning curve and once you set up your normal configuration you can save it as a template.

You can up your game with a better handheld, but the R8 with a couple of mics or even a single stereo mic might get you what you want.

I'm concerned because you may have purchased your R8 at my suggestion!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Chris,
The DR-05 has omni mics which may be contributing to what you don't like about it.

It is possible to use external mics through the mic input jack. The DR-05 has phantom power to the jack which is turned on via the menu system. It's not an ideal solution, though.

I'm curious about what you don't like about the R8; it has a small learning curve and once you set up your normal configuration you can save it as a template.

You can up your game with a better handheld, but the R8 with a couple of mics or even a single stereo mic might get you what you want.

I'm concerned because you may have purchased your R8 at my suggestion!
lol...Maybe
I have used it with Dynamic and condenser mic's but honestly, I've had better luck with the DR05 for fast easy recordings..
I've been trying to use the R8's internal mic's but can't seem to get it to record now.. or be able to listen through headphones
The DR05 press record and your there the R8 you have to start a new project....track...blah blah lol
I never tried to use the internals mic's and listen to the playback through headphones before..I just record and then take the SD card to my computer to adjust.
Just seems more complicated than I need..
I'm even looking at the Zoom H2N for ease of use.. I just don't think it will sound better then the DR05
I'd like to find a point and shoot...but with great sound, I don't think I really need multi-tracks...effects... it's just me and a guitar
Someone mentioned the Shure MV88+ in another thread but I'not sure I want to trust my Motorola for great sound...
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM

Not sure about whether the DR-05 has an external mic input. But I think to really get the best out of any of digital recorders, it's best to use an external mic. Even the venerable Shure 57 is likely to give better sound than the internal mics. A decent condensor mic will likely be better. A decent mic preamp will help even more, but not as much as the mic.

I've had most of the digital recorders since the early 2000s. Including the Zooms R8 and H4n, Tascam DR-44 (broke, but likely my fault) and DR-40 (one I have now), Sony d-50, and more. The internal mics give a decent recording, but not nearly as good as using an external mic.

I'd shoot for a Tascam unit with XLR inputs, and use a decent mic (which can cost as little as $50 or so used).

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Not sure about whether the DR-05 has an external mic input. But I think to really get the best out of any of digital recorders, it's best to use an external mic. Even the venerable Shure 57 is likely to give better sound than the internal mics. A decent condensor mic will likely be better. A decent mic preamp will help even more, but not as much as the mic.

I've had most of the digital recorders since the early 2000s. Including the Zooms R8 and H4n, Tascam DR-44 (broke, but likely my fault) and DR-40 (one I have now), Sony d-50, and more. The internal mics give a decent recording, but not nearly as good as using an external mic.

I'd shoot for a Tascam unit with XLR inputs, and use a decent mic (which can cost as little as $50 or so used).

Good luck.
The DR-05 has a 1/8" TRS input for microphones and supplies phantom power or condensers made to use "lavalier" configuration.

Some stereo mics are made specifically for this type of use:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...CM_Stereo.html

I have a Hosa splitter to use two small condenser mics with my DR-05, but it's not the most convenient thing to use. I have A Zoom R24 and use that for more complex mobile recording projects.

The OP's R8 is really not that complex once you use it a few times, but I understand someone wanting a "point and shoot" recorder. The Zoom H series and recorders like the DR-05 fit the bill, but there are compromises you have to accept for the recorder one-piece format.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

This latest version of the Tascam DR-100mkIII is a good recorder with improved internal microphones and preamps and they have just dropped the price $100.

I have used the Tascam DR-44WL a fair amount. This unit is no longer made. I have plugged a couple of Audio Technica AT4050 large diaphragm condenser mics into the external XLR connectors and made 3 very good sounding piano CDs using this device. I have really been surprised at how good these recordings sound. But the built-in mics are not very good.

I have tried to use the built-in mics for voice and guitar recordings and have been very disappointed.

I think these small recorders work quite well for excellent sound as long as you use decent outboard mics.

The Zoom H6 has larger and better quality onboard microphones and actually offers a little better sound compared to the Tascam units. So this might be the way to go if you don't want to use external microphones.

I personally like using external microphones. I like being able to place them where voice and guitar sound best. You can't do that with a recorder and built-in mics attached to a tripod.

Just my two cents.

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Eric Skye

Maybe a little off topic, and/or over budget, but if you have have external mics that you like, and like the idea of a simple high quality stand alone recorder that you can use with with or or without batteries, the Sound Devices MixPre series is pretty impressive. I'm very seriously considering buying a MixPre3 ii https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-3-ii/ I have a friend with the first generation of the MixPre, and I've borrowed it to play around with and was super impressed with it's quality and simplicity. But no internal mics and probably twice the price of the Zoom stuff.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Maybe a little off topic, and/or over budget, but if you have have external mics that you like, and like the idea of a simple high quality stand alone recorder that you can use with with or or without batteries, the Sound Devices MixPre series is pretty impressive. I'm very seriously considering buying a MixPre3 ii https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-3-ii/ I have a friend with the first generation of the MixPre, and I've borrowed it to play around with and was super impressed with it's quality and simplicity. But no internal mics and probably twice the price of the Zoom stuff.
Actually this seems like the direction ill go, high quality recordings and not much more Tascam has to Dr10L that looks like something, but it does not take xlr which isn't a deal breaker but i would like a little better mic than a lav to record vocal and guitar
Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Actually this seems like the direction ill go, high quality recordings and not much more Tascam has to Dr10L that looks like something, but it does not take xlr which isn't a deal breaker but i would like a little better mic than a lav to record vocal and guitar
Hi all, i decided on the Zoom H2n for ease of fast recording but not totally happy with that decision but we will see when it gets here
I mainly will be using this for self improvement.

Last edited by CASD57; 11-01-2019 at 10:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD