The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 PM

Default New Pedal for Acoustic Guitar

I have a Fishman Tonedeq and have had no problems with it. The only negative I can find is that the reverb and delay are on one button and the chorus/flanger/tremolo are on another.

I would like to add/complement the Fishman with some additional pedals. Do any of you have an recommendations?

Note: I play out 1/2 times a month, have a Taylor 414ce and Taylor mini Koa, and play all kinds of music (country, folk, rock, etc.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BamaLump
Old 09-11-2018, 01:53 PM

My acoustic board. I like one effect at a time in a row.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM

Electro-Harmonix Canyon delay. It has of course a delay, but also a looper, octaver, reverse, sample and hold, it is a really versatile pedal and a fair price for one that has tap tempo built in.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:27 AM

I think it depends on what you want out of an effect...

For what it's worth, I have chosen a board consisting of an EHX Freeze, Neunaber Wet Mono, Baggs Venue, and then Boss VE20.

Truly, the VE20 is the most useful if you sing. That thing is a beast, adds no noise and allows you to loop the mic, have phantom power, and all kinds of tone shaping. You can even point the mic at the guitar and lay down a guitar loop through the mic.

If you don't sing though, I love the EHX Freeze. If you need to, or want to, you can easily do the droning note to solo over, but also, you can hit it during a finger picked chord with the volume low and it will have a low accordion/organ droning in the background as you fingerpick. Honestly, there are many great ways to use that pedal.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:33 AM

I also like a separate pedal for reverb and I find the LR Baggs Align Reverb to be the best reverb I've ever used or heard:

As you can see, I have it set after my Boss AD-10. I love everything about the AD-10 EXCEPT the reverb (They call it "Ambience")

Good luck in your search,
PJ
Old 09-16-2018, 09:03 AM

I use a ditto mini into a diamond compressor into a strymon flint (reverb and trem) to a MXR Carbon copy to an abc switch ( bass mandolin guitar)
Two lines out to the grace Felix 1 line out to a pre for the bass. All goes to a pa mixer foh .
Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM

I'm also a fan of individual pedals.

The combo I use most often is my vintage BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay > BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus. Very important to have the DM-2 in FRONT of the CH-1.

My pedals sit in a BOSS BCB-6 case for ease of carrying and setup. My pedals (l to r):

* BOSS RV-3 Digital Delay/Reverb
* BOSS BF-3 Flanger
* BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
* BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
* BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay
* BOSS TU-3 Tuner
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 AM

I've been slowly developing an acoustic board for use in a band that plays psychedelic and ethnically flavored compositions and improvs. I have a couple of different guitars I've worked with through the pedal, but lately I've settled pretty exclusively on a Selmer Maccaferri style guitar with a piezo element in the floating bridge (a Gitane DG-300 with a BigTone pickup). It has the right eastern-sounding tone when played with a light pick and a short delay time.

The signal chain is a Radial PZ-Pre with the following in the effects loop:

Zoom MS-50G (for compression and/or tremolo)
TC Electronics Quintessence Harmonizer
EHX Mel 9 (mellotron emulation)
EHX Ravish Sitar (sitar emulation)
MXR Carbon Copy (on short delay time for tone thickening)
TC Electronics Flashback (for longer, more atmospheric delay effects)

All that goes back into the PZ-Pre, which gives me EQ, boost, feedback notch, phase reversal, HPF, and a second channel if I want to double on another guitar.

I go out of the PZ-Pre through the 1/4" amp output into an EHX Freeze pedal (for drones), and from there into a Fishman Loudbox Artist. I use the reverb on the Fishman to add a final, extra sense of space, and a little cut in the mid EQ, which has a different center-point than my setting on the PZ-Pre.

So far the gigs this band has gotten have been small enough for me to just play through the amp itself (the electric guitarist and the bass-player do the same with their amps, and the hand-drummer goes unmic'd). But I have the DI outs on the Fishman for the day we need to interface with a PA.

I have the PZ-Pre and pedals on a 15" x 20" Pedal Pad AXS III pedalboard. I like it, but it's getting a little cramped right now, especially since I would like to replace the Zoom MS-50G with dedicated compression and tremolo pedals. It's a work in progress!

Louis
Old 09-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

You're happy with the Tonedeq (minus the reverb/delay button issue) but you don't really state what you might be looking for, almost like you're not sure what you want and are looking for things you hadn't thought about. For performing I have found a volume pedal is indispensable. After that I only needs some EQ and preamping and effects. I used to have a large pedal board with a different pedal for everything but over time simplified and now we just use the Boss VE-8, a Neunaber Wet Reverb and an Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal. The Boss does the EQ, preamp, effects and notch for the guitar, wife's vocals and adds the convenience of a harmonizer and looper. We use the onboard reverb for both the guitar and vocals but the Neunaber does the really airy shimmer reverb on some songs. Boss also has tuner/mute and their Acoustic Resonance feature which is nice. When we want to travel very light we just take the Boss, the Bose S1, a guitar and a mic.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks for the replies...

I think what I'm asking is that I want to get to where I play Reverb and delay at the same time, but my fishman won't let me do that. Also, would it be better to have a pedal specifically designed for said effect?

Also, doing some research on the sequencing of pedals, I'd like to keep my fishman, use the reverb, eq and compressor. Can I set a delay and/or chorus pedal after that even when I'm plugged into the PA with the DI?

I'm still learning about all this so any advice would be appreciated.

BL
Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLump View Post
I think what I'm asking is that I want to get to where I play Reverb and delay at the same time, but my fishman won't let me do that. Also, would it be better to have a pedal specifically designed for said effect?

Also, doing some research on the sequencing of pedals, I'd like to keep my fishman, use the reverb, eq and compressor. Can I set a delay and/or chorus pedal after that even when I'm plugged into the PA with the DI?

I'm still learning about all this so any advice would be appreciated.

BL
The Tonedeq is really designed to be used as a stand-alone DI/preamp/EQ/Effects unit for acoustic guitar, so you're at a slight disadvantage trying to use it with other pedals. That said, there's no reason why you can't put a reverb pedal after the unit--at the 1/4" "amp output." Then you can use the unit's onboard delay into that reverb pedal (that's the usual order, although some people like reverb before delay--a matter of taste and the effect you're trying to create). This will work fine for going into an acoustic combo amp, or unbalanced into the line-in of a mixer, but it means you won't be able to send the full effect through the DI out of the Fishman (that will have only the delay and no reverb).

The Tonedeq is a nice unit used on its own. It has some limitations in terms of the effects it offers, but it does have the usual basic acoustic guitar stuff.

However, if you really want to explore more effects and more combinations of them, you should get a real multi-effects unit with more choices and options for signal path and various combinations. Either that or get a DI/preamp unit that has an effects loop and then put whatever pedals you like into the loop in whatever order and combination(s) you like!

Louis
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM

Here's my pedal train:

I can't see a big problem adding a standalone reverb, say, a Hall Of Fame or HOF Mini, after the ToneDEQ. Then just let the ToneDEQ handle the delay.

I really like the ToneDEQ for the compressor, boost & the versatile effects in one box. That said, I use effects very gently & am completely happy with the setup.

Frank
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Thanks for these replies. Another question:

So what I hear from some of you is that the delay should go before the reverb?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:17 PM

I've always run reverb before the delay, and all effects come before the looper. I'm sure you can put delay before reverb in your chain, though. I've never tried, so I'm not sure what differences it will make.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM

There really isn't a "What you should do.". We all have preferences, different string gauges, amps, guitars, a million other things, and different ears.

If you run it Reverb-> Delay, your Reverbed signal will get repeated over and over. If you run Delay-> Reverb, then your signal and it's repeats will then get reverb on top of them. The latter is prolly more natural in my opinion, but both are similar sounding and people adamantly like it both ways.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification