The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Runaway Train-Soul Asylum

Evening all. I’ve been working on Runaway Train. It’s a fairly easy song to strum along to, perfect for me as a beginner. But there is a lick at the end of the first chorus that I’m trying to figure out. I have watched multiple YouTube videos and also looked at tab and it is almost universally omitted from each of those.

Can anyone familiar with the song help me figure out what he’s doing or point me to a source that has the info?

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320drvr View Post
Evening all. I’ve been working on Runaway Train. It’s a fairly easy song to strum along to, perfect for me as a beginner. But there is a lick at the end of the first chorus that I’m trying to figure out. I have watched multiple YouTube videos and also looked at tab and it is almost universally omitted from each of those.

Can anyone familiar with the song help me figure out what he’s doing or point me to a source that has the info?

Thanks

Dave

You’re bringing me back to my teenage years. I’m trying to understand what lick you’re talking about since the only lick that comes to mind after the first chorus is a bass guitar lick.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:54 PM

This video really highlights it. It is a bass thing. I'm sure you could leave it out and be okay. You could also just play it on the git. It does turn the song around nicely I think.
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Ditto Looper
Old 09-03-2018, 12:52 AM

Default Runaway Train-Soul Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelETC View Post

This video really highlights it. It is a bass thing. I'm sure you could leave it out and be okay. You could also just play it on the git. It does turn the song around nicely I think.

Man i had second hand embarrassment when he pointed at the bass player for that lick.

For the OP, it seems like a simple 4 note lick E, D, E, D, and then B. So open E, fifth fret on A string, then 7 fret, then back to fifth, and slide down to second fret on A string.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Man i had second hand embarrassment when he pointed at the bass player for that lick.

For the OP, it seems like a simple 4 note lick E, D, E, D, and then B. So open E, fifth fret on A string, then 7 fret, then back to fifth, and slide down to second fret on A string.
Yes, that's it - more or less.

The break is on a G chord, and the fill may be easier (if playing on one guitar) like this:
Code:
(G)              C
|3--------------|-----
|0--------------|-----
|0--------------|--------
|0---0h2---0----|------------
|2-----------2--|3------------
|3--------------|----------
 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1
Old 09-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try these out.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write