The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Frankly, I consider a rig like that minimalistic for a professional-sounding set-up, and I applaud "The Kid!" for considering his audience, rather than solely satisfying himself on stage. I find that all too often, amateur solo performers don't consider the audiences' listening perspective when putting together what many refer to as a "P/A", which by definition is "public address",,,,,. What sounds "wonderful" on stage, may sound a heckuva lot different to an audience member who's 30-40 feet away (or more), especially outdoors. When "pro's" put together a show-rig, they plan for the best sound possible, right to the back-row. Better sound,,,happier audience,,, happier venue management,,,,, more repeat bookings,,,happier performer.
Thanks man, my schedule definitely reflects all of that.

I had a thought the other night...

I play an upscale restaurant every Wednesday night with a duo partner, and the manager said that there had been a couple complaints about too much low end. I realize that it takes bass frequencies longer to manifest than high frequencies, so I set a loop with beats, guitar, and a bass line, and take a quick walk.

What I've realized is that different demographics have different opinions on what "sounds good." I asked the manager if he thought there was too much low end a few weeks ago, and he didn't think so. Yet there ended up being a couple complaints nonetheless.

What I realized is that, the upscale crowd there doesn't like their music bumpin'. So now I make the necessary adjustments and everything still sounds great, even though it's not where I want it "feel-wise."

It got me thinking about all of the Bose "claims," and what I've observed by playing through their various models. It's a nice even sound. It doesn't defy the laws of physics like some would lead you to believe, but it definitely throws the sound out in a wide pattern and sounds pretty even.

That said, (in my opinion) there's no punch to the system. It just doesn't have that "live" feel that I dig about live music. It's there, it's able to be heard around the room, and also easier to "tune out,..." and THAT's what a lot of people consider good sound. Like listening to a live band on a radio.

Now I'm not try to rattle anybody's dentures with my PA, but I do like to feel live music even at lower volumes. I just don't get that from the Bose and SA220 systems.

I heard a pair of RCF EVOX 8's on my friends outdoor patio acoustic duo gig last night. The club owns the system and supplies it to the acts.

I got out of my gig just in time to catch their last song, and they sounded fantastic even half a block away. The duo is two acoustic guitars and no loops.

I checked out the system and told him that it sounded great. There you have it. I told him it sounded great and even asked what the system was.

What I didn't say was that I'd blow a pair of those muthafuquas up if I ran my show through them. I could tell that, although they handled two acoustic guitars very well, I wouldn't suggest putting much more through them.

So at $1700 per side, they sounded great for that purpose at a particular volume. I also didn't mention what I would have purchased instead for FOH with a $3400 budget that would have SLAYED that system, or a system like it (read: Bose)

People don't say that stuff because it's an uncomfortable conversation. Telling somebody that things could sound better to their face isn't easy. I mean, we'll argue to death with somebody on a forum about it,... but not in person.

I got a buddy a gig at a restaurant that I play at a lot. He's young and a very talented songwriter, but his cover tune game needs some work. Mainly singing the actual melodies to make the songs recognizable. His voice is also a little "quirky," but I dig him.

Well, he bombed there and he got his remaining three gigs canceled. The first thing that he said was, "WYF?? They all told me that I sounded great...!!!"

I asked my buddy who is the part owner and executive chef, why he told him that he did great despite the fact that he didn't, and he said, "C'mon dude, we tell everybody that..."

My point is, that pretty much everybody is going to tell you that you played great, that you sounded great,... that your Kung-Fu is the best. Even if it isn't.

Put your tower up against a comparably priced pro level system, and not only listen to it, and play through it yourself (with someone who knows what they're doing) and see/hear for yourself. Try it in various situations too.

Hell, maybe I'm just talking *****. Maybe I sound like garbage, and nobody has the heart to tell me. Take it all with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-17-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:56 PM

Despite all the gear I have at my disposal, I never go for a sound that would be considered unbalanced,,, or more precisely, unnatural. I'm VERY conservative when it comes to the use of subs. As far as I'm concerned, if the subs are predominantly noticeable, they're being over-used. In my book, they should sound like a fully natural extension of the music,,, and the only time you'd really notice they're there, is when you turn them off, and you notice a void in the sound,,,,,,turn them back on, and it sounds "full" and natural again.

If you've ever had the opportunity to hear a good symphony orchestra "Live",,, you'll understand what I mean when I say you hear the "weight" of the orchestra,,,, even in the quietest passages. Subs, should be used with that example in mind, otherwise, you will experience "listener fatigue". This is true with any 'distortion" of natural sound.

Regarding the Bose system and its' ability to spread the sound around,,, well that's been their (Boses') "raison d'etre" since roughly 1970,,, when they first came to market with the Bose 901's.(I had a pair of those too). The cabinets were a five-sided design. Each cabinet had nine full-range 4" drivers. The front of the cabinet had a single 4" driver facing the listener. The rear of the cabinet was a slightly wedge-shaped affair, with four drivers in each of the two facets of that wedge. The idea was to place those cabinets in front of a wall,,, near a corner, The rear-facing drivers would then "reflect" sound off the walls behind. In effect, the listener would be getting 11% direct sound, and 88% reflected sound. I presume they're using a somewhat similar approach with the L1's. Here's some images;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bose+...FsfSjwS1irXoCA

Back to the subs for a minute; restaurants and bars can have very different requirements when it comes to sound. I think it's best to "lay low" while customers are eating and conversing,,,, that's primarily why they're there. Once that part of the evening is over, that's when I start to turn up the faders slowly, and gradually. When folks are ready to party, and possibly dance,,,, that's the time to pour it on. I think it's important however, to keep an eye on all the patron's reactions. If only a handful want to "party" and dance, then I'd aim the mains at the dance-floor.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Despite all the gear I have at my disposal, I never go for a sound that would be considered unbalanced,,, or more precisely, unnatural. I'm VERY conservative when it comes to the use of subs. As far as I'm concerned, if the subs are predominantly noticeable, they're being over-used. In my book, they should sound like a fully natural extension of the music,,, and the only time you'd really notice they're there, is when you turn them off, and you notice a void in the sound,,,,,,turn them back on, and it sounds "full" and natural again.

If you've ever had the opportunity to hear a good symphony orchestra "Live",,, you'll understand what I mean when I say you hear the "weight" of the orchestra,,,, even in the quietest passages. Subs, should be used with that example in mind, otherwise, you will experience "listener fatigue". This is true with any 'distortion" of natural sound.

Regarding the Bose system and its' ability to spread the sound around,,, well that's been their (Boses') "raison d'etre" since roughly 1970,,, when they first came to market with the Bose 901's.(I had a pair of those too). The cabinets were a five-sided design. Each cabinet had nine full-range 4" drivers. The front of the cabinet had a single 4" driver facing the listener. The rear of the cabinet was a slightly wedge-shaped affair, with four drivers in each of the two facets of that wedge. The idea was to place those cabinets in front of a wall,,, near a corner, The rear-facing drivers would then "reflect" sound off the walls behind. In effect, the listener would be getting 11% direct sound, and 88% reflected sound. I presume they're using a somewhat similar approach with the L1's. Here's some images;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bose+...FsfSjwS1irXoCA

Back to the subs for a minute; restaurants and bars can have very different requirements when it comes to sound. I think it's best to "lay low" while customers are eating and conversing,,,, that's primarily why they're there. Once that part of the evening is over, that's when I start to turn up the faders slowly, and gradually. When folks are ready to party, and possibly dance,,,, that's the time to pour it on. I think it's important however, to keep an eye on all the patron's reactions. If only a handful want to "party" and dance, then I'd aim the mains at the dance-floor.
I'm starting to learn slowly but surely. Thank you so much for your advice and guidance. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Updated rig!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZJ1uIwQ

https://imgur.com/gallery/FVrHyiM

https://imgur.com/gallery/a5WUxND
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM

Need to find a source to buy an Atlas QR-2 and and Atlas QR-2F. The “F” is the flange that the QR-2 mounts to. It mounts to the pedal board, replacing the big heavy round metal base.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM

The Atlas QR-QF (Flange) exists! It screws into your pedal board and uses the Atlas QR-2 as a quick release. It's a great option for mounting a mic stand to a pedal board. Calling Atlas didn't help much, but Full Compass is able to order it now because a very diligent rep was able to add it to their system and get it for me.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Can you explain a little more about the mic mounted to the pedal board? I'm curious to know more details about how you do this. Perhaps a pic once you've got it going.

ps It's always great to see a ToneDexter in someone's rig!
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Can you explain a little more about the mic mounted to the pedal board? I'm curious to know more details about how you do this. Perhaps a pic once you've got it going.

ps It's always great to see a ToneDexter in someone's rig!
The Tonedexter is a must have now. I literally redesigned my whole setup around it. Built everything into flight cases for a fast and efficient setup.

Here is the QR2 and QR2F pics. You need both.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IwoF88O

I just moved the Tonedexter over and the QR2F to the front right corner to get my mic stand closer to me. Less of a boom arm extension
Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM

Newest version of my board.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kiBxaxF
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM

I see that yorkville sub has a frequency
range up to 150 hz using a hf rolloff.
Do you use it that high.? One would think
you could pick up some low end guitar
at that freq.? Wish they didn't weigh almost 80 lbs.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post

Sunday, June 12th 2pm-5pm.

Updated rig:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Newest version of my board.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kiBxaxF
If you don't mind, I am just wondering about the cost of all this. You have mentioned that your rig is "paying off" with more gigs and increasing charge. Are you still able to come out ahead financially with this amount of equipment overhead?

Steve
Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
If you don't mind, I am just wondering about the cost of all this. You have mentioned that your rig is "paying off" with more gigs and increasing charge. Are you still able to come out ahead financially with this amount of equipment overhead?

Steve
We're supposed to come out ahead?? Oh no...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I see that yorkville sub has a frequency
range up to 150 hz using a hf rolloff.
Do you use it that high.? One would think
you could pick up some low end guitar
at that freq.? Wish they didn't weigh almost 80 lbs.
I use an external crossover. More control. I loop beats with an Akai XR20 and bass lines with a Boss OC3. The sub is pretty important on a lot of gigs. Not every gig, but there are certainly many that benefit from it.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-17-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post

Steve
Absolutely. I didn’t buy everything all at once. I put it together piece by piece over time. I also gig a lot.

Having a great set list and a fantastic live sound generated a lot more work for me. Also playing at an appropriate volume.

Some of my gigs are very low volume. A lot of nice restaurants want music, but don’t want to blow the customers away with volume.i can create a full sound at reasonable volumes. Having a bigger system working well within its limits beats a small system shouting its head off.

Even at lower volumes, there’s a weight to the sound.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-17-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
We're supposed to come out ahead?? Oh no...
Maybe not supposed to, but I do this full time, so unfortunately I have to!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification