The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-11-2018, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think we can make that happen Joel....
What’s the admission price, Tom? I’m in 😉

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I fist became obsessed with Sobells around 16 years ago. The internet was in its infancy and there was little information regarding them barring a few revered quotes from Martin Simpson in the odd guitar mag. Indeed, part of the allure was the mystery that seemed to surround them, at least to a guy like me who was used to Lowdens and Fyldes etc.

I remember calling Stefan all those years back and asking how much one cost - 2K - twice as much as a Lowden at the time! In the end I cracked and got one (a Model 0) and that guitar was the instrument that changed me into someone very serious about playing guitar as a hobby. It was on a different planet to anything I'd laid hands on previously. It kick-started my GAS (gee, thanks for that - not!), and I ended up buying one from Martin S, a lovely scantling BRW Model 1 that he brought along to a workshop.

I would have killed (well, not literally...) to have seen a video like this back then. It's stuffed full of very valuable information straight from the horses mouth, and you get to hear the guitars played expertly as well, and well recorded. What's not to like?

And also, nothing wrong at all with people who think before they open their mouth...

Cheers,
Steve
You got a scantling back Steve? I did not know that! Stefan was building one of the first ones last time I visited and it looked gorgeous!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
You got a scantling back Steve? I did not know that! Stefan was building one of the first ones last time I visited and it looked gorgeous!
You know me Michael - it's long gone! I sold it quite a few years ago as I moved towards a less direct sound.

Stefan has been building scantling guitars for years. It's very, very diffficult to tell that these are multi-piece BRW guitars, so good is the woodworking and matching; the BRW is very dark. Even the sides are doubled horizontally. The BRW is such high quality that Stefan felt obliged to make guitars from it, despite their small size.

I still have a video up of me playing mine, 9 years ago - audio sounds horrible these days!

That was the guitar Martin used on "Kind Letters".

People reading this who haven't played a Sobell really ought to try. It's very difficult to get across how unique the sound is. The most identifiable builder to my mind. Rory Dowling is very heavily influenced by Stefan and Nigel Forster, although Nigel's guitars have very much their own sound these days.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

People reading this who haven't played a Sobell really ought to try. It's very difficult to get across how unique the sound is. The most identifiable builder to my mind. Rory Dowling is very heavily influenced by Stefan and Nigel Forster, although Nigel's guitars have very much their own sound these days.

Cheers,
Steve
That is very true. There is nothing like Stefan's work. Both Rory and Nigel have their own beautiful thing going. In fact I was really taken with what Rory is pulling out of maple these days

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM

Love these videos Michael - perfect production and the mix of excellent luthiers, wonderful guitars and a fabulous player are a real treat.

Any scope for further Luthier Stories - Fylde, Lowden, Brook perhaps
Fender 'Nashville' Telecaster
Gordon Smith GS1.5
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
That is very true. There is nothing like Stefan's work. Both Rory and Nigel have their own beautiful thing going. In fact I was really taken with what Rory is pulling out of maple these days

All the best

MDW

My, that Taran sounds great. People really need to get past their Maple aversion as a tone wood, I own a maple Kinnaird OM that I believe is one of the best sounding guitars I own certainly, but among the best I have heard. I believe you own a Maple Kostal which is fantastic and now this Taran Maple among many others.

My belief is that Maple may be one of the very best tonewoods especially in a talented luthier's hands! Just my opinion.

maple.jpg

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-13-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Love these videos Michael - perfect production and the mix of excellent luthiers, wonderful guitars and a fabulous player are a real treat.

Any scope for further Luthier Stories - Fylde, Lowden, Brook perhaps
Shhh... I may be planning something... it will be our secret for the time being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

My belief is that Maple may be one of the very best tonewoods especially in a talented luthier's hands! Just my opinion.

Attachment 12940
Absolutely Tom, I couldn't agree more! Not just your opinion, mine too.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop