The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Usually the General Discussion, then Play & Write, Show & Tell and then the Custom section.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Old 05-24-2022, 04:15 PM

I have OCD so I always start at the bottom and in a specific order. The forums I look at are as follows:

Open Mic
Record
Electric Guitars
Archtops
Custom Shop
General Acoustic Guitar Discussion
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-24-2022, 05:13 PM

Ditto the others with New Posts. I rarely go past Page 1 and almost never go to a specific forum to see what's there. It'll show up in New Posts just fine for me.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-24-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I usually use Today on the AGF as my starting point and go wherever the subjects look interesting.
Me too. I probably read less than half of the posts, and respond to less than half of those. Same way I browse every forum I'm on.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:34 PM

As a mod, I am all over, but I have to say I am so surprised at how few of you mentioned the Custom Section. There are some of the most singularly beautiful guitars being built there then you could ever imagine and everyone is so friendly and forthcoming with sharing their expertise.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
As a mod, I am all over, but I have to say I am so surprised at how few of you mentioned the Custom Section. There are some of the most singularly beautiful guitars being built there then you could ever imagine and everyone is so friendly and forthcoming with sharing their expertise.
I forgot about that section! I don't have the funds for one but I've followed a few Taran build threads as Rory Dowling's workshop is less than an hour from where I live and I'd love to one day own one.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:20 PM

Regularly:
General Discussion
Other Musical Instruments
Listen
Play & Write
Open Mic

Everything else is hit or miss.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Back when I administrated the forum and had to read every new post, I got in the habit of hitting "New Posts" and then loading all of the pages of new posts, to get a momentary snapshot of the forum that I could read through at leisure. I still do it, so that means I read material from practically all the subforums.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:37 PM
Get off my lawn kid

General, Play/write, record, Show & Tell, Open mic, the classifieds (once in a while) and the custom shop forum to drool over the pictures.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-24-2022, 09:02 PM

From the bottom up - daily:
  • Open Mic
  • Electric Guitars
  • Other Musical Instruments
  • Archtops
  • General Acoustic

Occasionally:
  • Events & New Releases
  • Acoustic Amplification
  • Carbon Fiber
Old 05-24-2022, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:

I get a lot of vicarious pleasure from people’s build threads. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-25-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

There was a time when I picked and chose on my interests and they almost always went something like this:

General Acoustic Guitar Discussion
AGF Classifieds - Guitar
Carbon Fiber
Acoustic Amplification

And that was about it. The last two would wax and wane in frequency depending upon if I was currently an owner of or considering a new carbon fiber guitar(s) or a certain amplification system(s). I like staying abreast of the latest and greatest in amplification systems since it changes and improves so fast.

These days I tend to just go to Today on the AGF as it gives me anything new that I haven't already seen (I tend to visit several times a day) and I pick and choose from that if there is a new subject of interest or new replies on posts I've commented on. It has also 'introduced me' to subforums that I previously ignored like Open Mic.

I also have set up on the mobile phone Tapatalk app so that I get alerts for anyone who quotes something I posted as well as any new guitars posted. This ensures I don't miss out on something I'm interested in! And I've learned how to subscribe to individual threads so I get alerts anytime a new post.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I usually go for the Custom Shop first (sometimes that's all I do). General Discussion second, then Classifieds or Carbon Fiber. Very rarely anything else.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I always check the Custom Shop. Ever since I saw some of Mark Hatcher's creations, I always check on his builds. There's something about his aesthetic that resonates with me. I may never be able to afford a custom build but I enjoy looking at them.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion