The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 10:41 AM

Default Shipping: tips and tricks?

I am selling a couple of moderately priced guitars soon, and wondered if offering any shipping was practical. Let's say a guitar with street value around $1000.
I see threads on shipping costs, which is a bit scary. Aside from that, having not ever shipped one before, would like to know "protocols".
For a guitar with OHSC, what prep is required? Guitar in case, downtuned, any extra padding? OHSC inside a guitar box, with extra padding?
Suggestions on safe shippers with lower costs? "From" location would be WA state, if that matters.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM

I've shipped 70+ guitars and mandolins with no problems.

The single most important step in packing after shipping in a case inside a shipping box, is to immobilize the instrument inside its case. The guitar should not be able to slide around, even a little, inside the case. This is especially important if there's not much room between the tip of the headstock and the end of the case. Headstocks can get broken if the box is dropped on the end headstock down and the headstock hits the inside end of the case because the guitar was loose inside the case.

The guitar case should then be immobilized inside the shipping box by filling all the space around it with packing material like styrofoam peanuts or airbags.

If an acoustic guitar has an end pin, remove it and put it in the accessory compartment.

If the guitar is an archtop with a floating bridge, remove the bridge (mark its location before removing it with a couple small pieces of low tack painter's tape). The strings should then be coiled and put in something like a ziplock baggie so they don't flop around. They can be left attached to the tuners though.

I've always detuned the instruments. Not so much that the strings are floppy but enough to take tension off the neck. Some people argue that you don't need to do this, but again, all the instruments I've shipped were undamaged.

I'm in WA too and I don't think that factors into it, other than the shipping cost if the destination is on the other coast.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
I've shipped 70+ guitars and mandolins with no problems.

The single most important step in packing after shipping in a case inside a shipping box, is to immobilize the instrument inside its case. The guitar should not be able to slide around, even a little, inside the case. This is especially important if there's not much room between the tip of the headstock and the end of the case. Headstocks can get broken if the box is dropped on the end headstock down and the headstock hits the inside end of the case because the guitar was loose inside the case.

The guitar case should then be immobilized inside the shipping box by filling all the space around it with packing material like styrofoam peanuts or airbags.

If an acoustic guitar has an end pin, remove it and put it in the accessory compartment.

If the guitar is an archtop with a floating bridge, remove the bridge (mark its location before removing it with a couple small pieces of low tack painter's tape). The strings should then be coiled and put in something like a ziplock baggie so they don't flop around. They can be left attached to the tuners though.

I've always detuned the instruments. Not so much that the strings are floppy but enough to take tension off the neck. Some people argue that you don't need to do this, but again, all the instruments I've shipped were undamaged.

I'm in WA too and I don't think that factors into it, other than the shipping cost if the destination is on the other coast.
Pretty much nailed it, but for the love of all things holy, please don't use styrofoam peanuts. They're an absolute pain when unpacking a guitar and are terrible for the environment. Use bubble wrap, newspaper, airbags, etc, anything but styrofoam peanuts. There are some peanuts that are biodegradable that at least can be broken down in water, but they're still a mess when unpacking a guitar.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM

A few items to add into what's already been offered:

-Besides de-tuning, make sure the guitar case section that supports the neck has crushed newspaper or something similar under the guitar neck so that the neck is not actually sitting on that support. Also, fill the case headstock area under the headstock with crushed newspaper to provide support in that area.
Note: bubble wrap can possibly damage some finishes, so be careful when using this in certain critical places.

-Extra support at the headstock and tail area in the shipping box is important to guard against a hard landing. (yes, with end pin removed!).

If there is a pickup with battery, remove battery. Wrap in newspaper and secure in the instrument case pocket along with any keys or other objects so that can't move around.

Often folks will mark on the box which side should be place "UP". Headstock side "up".

Take pictures of your guitar when packing/packed and when it's boxed up. Hopefully you don't have to use them for any claim, but helpful to have just in case.

Packing like rags is not as helpful as bubble wrap or crushed newspaper which will offer more cushion for critical areas.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-23-2022, 03:35 PM

Default De-tuning

Shipping de-tuned is controversial. I tend to ship tuned to pitch.
The truss rod is usually left tensioned, and removing the balancing force of the strings, the neck may set in a permanent back-bow position, esp if the guitar is subject to hot conditions while being shipped.

Ideally, one would also losen the truss rod in this case, but who does that?
Losening the truss rod s creates a possible problem as the recipient may or may not be comfortable with adjusting the truss rod.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:41 PM

I always include a written note:
my name, address and phone number and the buyer's name, address and phone number, the guitar's serial number, valuation and lastly, the date.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
. Also, fill the case headstock area under the headstock with crushed newspaper to provide support in that area.
Not just underneath the headstock. Pack both sides really well. The headstock is a cantilever with a score (the nut slot) at its base. The box simply falling over could cause the headstock to whiplash and the headstock to crack at its base.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:46 PM

I bought a Southern Jumbo off of a guy on Reverb. It was in the OHSC but I think he just took it to the UPS Store and let them do the packing because it was sliding around in the box without any packing around the case.

When I got it the guitar was all jacked up. There was a crack in the side. Needless to say I returned it immediately. But I packed some styrofoam around the case so that it wouldn't slide around inside.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 05-23-2022, 04:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Martin ships their guitars up to pitch and that's good enough for me, most of the time anyway. I do confess that I might tune it down a whole step or so sometimes, especially if keeping it in the case is not a perfect fit. as much packing material around the head inside the case is a must. Unfortunately, remove the end pin is a great thing to do but if the guitar has electronics it's likely the input/end pin is not made to be removed so carefully pack that area between the case and the box.

To reduce costs a little bit, open an account with UPS and Fedex. Agree with one of the above comments about packing peanuts; I think there is a special place in hell for the person who invented those things.

But the one trick that I learned from a certified Marin repair person may be the best I know: always open the box from the BOTTOM, that way you are not fighting with packing material getting all bunched up when you try to remove it from the top. Opening from the bottom is way less messy and always easier.

Gene
Old 05-23-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Not just underneath the headstock. Pack both sides really well. The headstock is a cantilever with a score (the nut slot) at its base. The box simply falling over could cause the headstock to whiplash and the headstock to crack at its base.
Good catch.....that's very true!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-23-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I just sold a Larrivee which is making its way across country. I checked out various cost options, calculating shipping charges through UPS and third party vendors, Shippo and Pirateship. Ultimately, I ended up purchasing the shipping through Pirateship, which cost $97 to go from Maine to Utah, with $1800 insurance. Purchasing the same ticket directly through UPS would have been about twice that.

It is simple. You go to the Pirateship website, follow the steps, buy the ticket, print out a legit UPS form and put it on your package. I dropped off the package at a UPS Store and there was no issue. It turns out that the package has been delayed. In fact, Pirateship had more detaield informatiom that UPS provided. And Pirateship (through which I bought full value insurance) apparently handles claims in the event of loss. Not a bad deal.
David
Old 05-24-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the camp that supports the headstock and keep the guitar tuned to pitch. My take on it is that headstock damage occurs when the guitar box is dropped on the guitars back and the strings are loose along with no headstock support.

Allot of good advice here though.

And the expense of shipping guitars has gone extremely high and unless someone has shipped very recently their expense quotes are outdated. And I mean like yesterday.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-24-2022, 08:57 AM

I'll offer the Larrivee shipping recommendations at the link below

https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Shippi...trument_v2.pdf

They recommend tuning to pitch - they're likely to see a lot more guitars shipped to them by amateurs than I do so I take their advice.

Next guitar I ship I'll be tempted to offer one of those bluetooth trackers for a refundable $20 to the buyer when it gets sent back.

Also, I take pre-boxing pics and videos to document the guitar's condition just in case of a buyer dispute and to show the shipper that the guitar was properly packed up in case of shipping damage.

Last edited by jpmist; 05-25-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Jean Larrivée Guitars USA Inc. | Shipping Your Instrument
Old 05-24-2022, 09:07 AM

Guitar in the case, always. If I detune, it's usually only a half step down but I'm not convinced that it's necessary. I prefer the StewMac shipping kits (or whatever they call them). They include the box, top and bottom inflatable stabilizers and a stiff cardboard collar that slides onto the neck section of the case, shoring up the middle section of the box. If one wanted, there's room for extra stuffing. I have shipped/received many guitars in this manner over the years, and have never experienced damage.

Re guitar shipping costs - woof. UPS ground from NY to NC recently cost $125 (with full value insurance). Coast to coast just cost $230 including insurance.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

Last edited by rule18; 05-24-2022 at 09:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion