The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 07:44 AM

Default Slot head pros and cons

I really love the look of a "traditional" style guitar, and in particular the slot head style. I have an 1800`s J. Howard Foote parlor with a slot head, and a Larrivee 00-60 (spruce/ Indian rw), which is really pretty.

J. Howard Foote was a distributor, so I'm not sure who made the instrument, but it has a crack free top, and Brazilian back and sides with some minor cracks, so it is pretty well made.

Anyway, what are the pros and cons of the slot heads? I do know there are fewer good tuning machines available for these guitars, and hole spacing can be an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:55 AM

I find them a bit of a pain to re-string; getting the string started around the shaft, at a good angle from the nut, takes more effort than a solid peghead. But it's not such a big deal that I've sworn off my slot-head Dobro or Ashborn.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

To me the stringing difference is the only difference. I have found that using an electric string winder solves the problem.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrets View Post
I find them a bit of a pain to re-string; getting the string started around the shaft, at a good angle from the nut, takes more effort than a solid peghead. But it's not such a big deal that I've sworn off my slot-head Dobro or Ashborn.
Yep, string changes are a relative pain in the beam, regardless of whatever techniques have been devised to make the task less onerous. I'm personally not interested in the 'traditional look' either.. A nice paddlehead can look just as attractive as any slothead, to my eyes.

The one area I do like and prefer slotheads is with nylon-string instruments,
Old 05-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Maybe I'm looney but I've never found my slot head to be difficult to restring, it's different yes but I certainly don't find it a pain or that it even takes much longer.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

….I like how much more ergonomic tuning is once the guitar is strung up….I also believe that the increased break angle over the nut adds some additional responsiveness and helps a player get a bit more with a lighter touch….cons??….perhaps not as sturdy as a solid headstock??…string changing has always been a non issue to me….
Old 05-22-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
I also believe that the increased break angle over the nut adds some additional responsiveness and helps a player get a bit more with a lighter touch
Why do you believe that?
Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 AM
Eric Skye

I'll be the contrarian and say, that in addition to slotheads looking way better, they're much easier to re-string and tune. Assuming you're going to pre-cut the strings before re-stringing any guitar, a guitar that has the tuning buttons all facing the same direction is just easier. Same with tuning, all tuners are facing the player.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Why do you believe that?
…I mainly believe it because it’s what I have experienced….as to why I think I’ve experienced it ….I think a stronger break angle loads more tension on a saddle or nut and results in a snappier response that requires less force to set things in motion….as I stated I think it adds a”bit more” responsiveness…..and yes I believe that a specific solid headstock guitar might very well be more responsive than a specific slot head in the final tally depending on other factors…
Old 05-22-2022, 09:15 AM

Having played and changed strings on classical guitars for about 50 years, I was a little surprised at how much trouble I had on my first slothead string change. Second (and more) were much easier, no harder nor more time consuming than paddle head or classical.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

And what could possibly be more gorgeous?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NB3.jpg (39.4 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 05-22-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 AM

Maybe its lack of practice changing the strings on my 000-15sm, but I know I have to try REAL hard to keep the slothead from taking a beating from the strings…and it still is in danger every time.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I just got my first slothead in 35 plus years of playing about 3 months ago, so I was a little apprehensive for my first string change. Quite honestly, I did not find it any more difficult than the 100's of string changes I have made over the years on solid pegheads. I watched "Silly Moustache's" tutorial, and it worked like a charm. An e-winder did seem to help more on the slothead, as it allowed me to concentrate on the string wrap instead of on winding. Plus, as noted above, they do look pretty cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220406_130406534.MP.jpg (38.9 KB, 430 views)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:48 AM

On my slotted Martin 016NY, I've had two different sets of OEM tuners literally come unglued. There aren't a lot of other choices for slotted-head individual tuners, so I've now got a set of 2X3 Schaller tuners that are way too frou-frou for this otherwise-austere instrument, but they work. But I'm not happy about it.

Couch Standards
Old 05-22-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I'll be the contrarian and say, that in addition to slotheads looking way better, they're much easier to re-string and tune. Assuming you're going to pre-cut the strings before re-stringing any guitar, a guitar that has the tuning buttons all facing the same direction is just easier. Same with tuning, all tuners are facing the player.
I completely agree on the restringing and tuning as I always pre-cut strings. I have 6 00/000-12 frets and 2 are open, and 4 are paddle heads. I don’t think there’s any difference in tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion