The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 01:14 PM

Default Where to turn now that D'Addario no longer making EXP strings?

Looking for suggestions for a replacement for the out of production EXP17 strings.

I stumbled on the EXP17 a couple of years ago as a replacement for EJ17s, which on my guitar were a little too bright or brassy sounding. I find the EXP17 to start off with a little more mellow sound and also to have a little lower string tension and better comfort/playability.

I am reading that the replacement for the EXP series is the XT series, but the supposed improvement seems to be "sounds closer to EJ" which doesn't sound good to me.

Wondering if anyone could share another set that might give a similar sound and feel to the EXP, compared to EJ.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2022, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I didn't know that, Thanks for sharing!

D'Addario also now has an XS series. I've got a set that I haven't strung up yet. They're coated and a little more costly than the XT series but I don't know how that translates into tone. I just bought an Ibanez AAD300CE that came with factory-installed XT light-gauge strings and it's my first experience with this string. I'm not all that impressed with the XT set. I've always liked the tone of D'addario EXP and EJ strings!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-21-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:04 PM

I would also like to have this information as I only have 1 more set of EXP 17's in house.

I did not like the XT's at all as they reminded me of one of the reasons I dislike Elixirs...too slippery.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

I believe that XTs are "treated" whereaas XS are coated. As EXPs were coated, then XS would seem to be the new replacement

Whether there is any difference is EXP and XS is for others to judge but bear in mind that Martin and D'addario and other makers frequently "remarket" essentially the same products.

Strings, like soap powder, are consumer products and treated much the same by their marketing departments.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Looking for suggestions for a replacement for the out of production EXP17 strings.

I stumbled on the EXP17 a couple of years ago as a replacement for EJ17s, which on my guitar were a little too bright or brassy sounding. I find the EXP17 to start off with a little more mellow sound and also to have a little lower string tension and better comfort/playability.

I am reading that the replacement for the EXP series is the XT series, but the supposed improvement seems to be "sounds closer to EJ" which doesn't sound good to me.

Wondering if anyone could share another set that might give a similar sound and feel to the EXP, compared to EJ.

Thanks!
I'd turn to Elixir Nanos, but I've been using them for years so I'm a bit too opinionated to offer any other suggestions.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

XS. EJ's are my go-to string but I never like EXP or XT. They sounded dull and didn't last long enough to justify the cost for me.

I put a set of XT's on my GP-28 and they are fantastic. The opening zingy period wasn't zingy at all but really lively and they sounded great for 5 months then dropped dead.

I'll be trying them on my other guitar soon. I think they might be my new go-to string!
Old 05-21-2022, 03:22 PM

Strange how all of us hear differently. I don't think that XTs and EJs sound anything alike; the former I love while never caring for the EJs.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:45 PM

I like Martin Lifespan over the D'Addario long life strings.
They last longer and I like the way they sound.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

DR Sunbeams
Old 05-21-2022, 05:36 PM

So yes, doing some more research, sounds like some folks feel the XS is the closest current product D'Addario has to the EXP, so I will give that a shot.

In researching this a little further, I found this graph published by D'Addario. The marketing here is "look, our new XT are much closer to our EJ in brightness!" Can't find a similar graph including XS

Old 05-21-2022, 05:42 PM

I bought a ten-pack of EXP's when the announcement was made; I couldn't believe they'd deep-six such a popular string. In the meantime I'd shifted my Martins over to Retros, so I figured I'd have more time with the EXP's. Unfortunately, I strung the final pack last week.

I'm going to try Retros on the two guitars still using ESP's, and go from there. But as much as I like the Retros, it will seem strange not having at least one guitar using PB strings.

Last edited by bufflehead; 06-05-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I used a couple of sets of the XS pb strings on the D18 and the E6D. Decent sound, actually a pretty nice sound. In the end, though, the DR sunbeams seem to like my guitars, and I like them.

Ymmv
Old 05-22-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd turn to Elixir Nanos, but I've been using them for years so I'm a bit too opinionated to offer any other suggestions.
I too would recommend to try Elixir Nanos, although I've used them for 15 years as well (interspersed with other strings).
Old 05-22-2022, 08:15 AM

I really like the XS strings.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Lowden strings are worth checking out. They are a tad pricier than the D’Addario XTs and are also treated as opposed to coated but they last a good stretch of time and feel better to me than the D’Addarios.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion