The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 04:40 AM

Default Songs that make people cry?

I once played the "Streets of Laredo" for some kids in Budapest (they spoke English). The idea was that they would learn to sing the song. But after I played it once and explained the lyrics, then played it again, some of them started crying. They begged me not to play it again and asked for a happy song. Of course I changed to something else (I forget which song; I probably knew at least one happy song). But I was wondering today: Have you ever played a song that reliably made at least some people cry? What was it? How do you feel about playing songs like that?
Old 05-18-2022, 05:08 AM

I have one.

John Prine, Summers End

I think wasn't so much the song, but that official video is a real tear jerker.

At the time I saw this my youngest granddaughter (16) was hospitalized for anorexia and, we had no idea how bad her health was until she was admitted.

Coming up on that video during those days was the last thing I needed to see.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 AM

Someone's going to try this, so I'll scoop them and say, "Whenever I sing, there's always someone who cries". .... Enough of that.

I cannot say that I have experienced people actually crying over the lyrics, but have had requests for happier music. In response to thee requests, I now have quite a bit of that, enough to realize that, more often, lyrics are not happy. My thought is that people are moved to create music more by unhappy events than by uplifting ones. When you are down, it is a way to bring yourself up. I've often said you can't stay unhappy when singing the blues.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:46 AM
Musical minimalist

I would certainly never perform a tune that was that potentially gut wrenching that it would produce that result. It's one thing to be deep and thought provoking, but outright sad is another.

That said, one tune that would fall into the avoidance category that makes me tear up every time is this L.J. Booth tune (he's not the composer)

Old 05-18-2022, 05:47 AM

Twenty years ago I wrote and performed a song for my father-in-law's funeral. It was very hard for me to keep it together while I played it, but somehow I managed. Everyone else in attendance was in tears. Later, I did a recording of the song, but I won't ever be performing it again.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Someone's going to try this, so I'll scoop them and say, "Whenever I sing, there's always someone who cries". .... Enough of that.

I cannot say that I have experienced people actually crying over the lyrics, but have had requests for happier music. In response to thee requests, I now have quite a bit of that, enough to realize that, more often, lyrics are not happy. My thought is that people are moved to create music more by unhappy events than by uplifting ones. When you are down, it is a way to bring yourself up. I've often said you can't stay unhappy when singing the blues.
"A way to bring yourself up"--exactly. Robert Frost said a poem would solve something for him in life..."a momentary stay against the confusion of the world."
Old 05-18-2022, 06:04 AM

I've made myself cry while trying to sing some songs I've written about dark times in my life. I don't perform though, but come to think of it I mostly play sad songs.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
Have you ever played a song that reliably made at least some people cry?
"Kilkelly"

Live version by Pat and Becky Egan on "Music At Matt Molloy's", recorded at Matt Molloy's pub in Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 05-18-2022, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

We play primarily assisted living facilities so there are often a few tears as people relate certain songs to lost loved ones or times in their lives. But the one song that is at once the most loved, the most sang by many and the most likely to induce some tears is the classic Elvis hit 'Can't Help Falling In Love With You'.

A few tears are expected for some songs at these places. We consider it a positive thing in that we are doing the song justice and even though there are tears on occasion, we've never been asked by anyone - staff or resident - to not play a certain songs. In fact, most thank us for bring back a memory.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Supermarket Flowers by Ed Sheeran leaps to my mind as a bit of a tearjerker. I'm not the biggest Sheeran fan (although I don't dislike him, either), but that is just a very well written song.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 05-18-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

When I played “Lakes of Ponchatrain” at a gathering of a group of Geordies here a few years back, several of them teared up. Even though it’s a song I associate with the Irish diaspora, it clearly struck a chord with the Northerners.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-18-2022, 07:08 AM

I had to stop singing Eric Bogles songs about the first world War, because I found I was making myself cry. This has become a bigger problem for me as I have aged. I find there is a very fine line between delivering an emotionally charged rendering of a song and breaking down entirely.
As far as the audience is concerned I recently had people in tears with "Crazy" and "The green, green grass of home".
Old 05-18-2022, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

John Prine's "Sam Stone", first heard when I got back from Vietnam.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-18-2022, 07:33 AM

I make people cry whenever, and whatever I play!

But I’m determined, and I will keep hacking away until there is barely a sniffle!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

…”Lydia”….a song written by Karen Poston and recorded by Slaid Cleaves on his “Broke Down” album is a heart wrenching song that’s brought many listeners to tears…..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion