The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately Italy is out for most of international instruments manufactur so many people order on web.
I have thunk to order directly from Curt Mangan , but after found string in Switzerland near Italy I prefer to buy there.
Playing 2 hour a day what should be CM Monel durability ?
Old 05-24-2022, 01:27 PM

Upgrade.
The Swiss shop addice that for shipping of Curt Mangan monel round core Willys occour dame weeks because they have 4 innstock but notte in The same place .
Old 05-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Another update...

After more than a month I am convinced the Mangan Monels sound better than they did when I put them on my OM. This could be due to a number of factors (my ear included) but is consistent with what a few others have noted before. Once these are ready to come off I have a few other sets I have been waiting to try, but I like these enough to order extras now.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:59 PM

Well, thanks for your time making this nice comparative montage.

I once compared Monel with D'Addario EJ when I briefly owned a
The Loar LH-700 Vs archtop, but I never thought to compare with Elixir nano.

I now have Monel on a Martin OODB and like them, but I did not try any other
strings on it so far.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Excellent comparison. I strung my Collings 001 with some Martin Retros (lights) and a week later I am super super stoked. Dials back the overtones a bit and it’s slightly more compressed as well.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 AM

I can't think of two more opposite strings sonically! They don't sound anything alike. Nice playing! Always loved Ian Anderson's style on Wondering Aloud which was a song about his young daughter from the early days 50 years ago.......yikes! In fact I had an Ian Anderson model from Martin on loan for a few days. A haunting guitar I've looked for for decades. You could use nylon strings or steel. He used 0 and 00 Martins.

Last edited by hifivic; 05-25-2022 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drathbun View Post
I'm super happy with my Elixir PB HD Lights on my Gibson SJ200. However, after having heard Laurence Juber promote Martin Retro Monel strings, I thought I'd give them a try on my Martin 000-28vs since that is my fingerstyle guitar. Since doing an A/B test is a challenge with strings, I thought I'd use a video to hear the differences.

I recorded a series of strumming, fingerstyle and flatpicking on the 000-28vs with one-month-old Elixir PB HD Lights in open standard tuning and with a capo at 2, 3 and 5. Then I changed strings and used the same audio setup and settings and recorded the same snippets. Then I cut the video together with the short guitar sections next to each other Elixir then Retro. There is NO audio processing at all. I recorded with a Rode NT1 condenser mic on one channel and the iRig Acoustic Stage on the other through my Zoom UAC-2 interface. The video was shot with a webcam rather than my usual iPhone 7 Plus so I could record directly into my VideoPad Video editor.

After listening back and feeling the differences between the strings, here are my findings. First, this is the Retros after being on the guitar for exactly five minutes. I'm sure they will change. Also, I've used Elixirs for more than a decade because my skin chemistry destroys strings FAST! I can kill a set of Martin SP's (awesome strings) in hours. So if the Retros last longer than a couple months I will be switching to them for the Martin.

The Retros feel softer. I assume that is both because of the lighter gauge and softer metal. The HD's are .013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053 with 168.5lbs of tension and the Retros are 012, .015, .025, .031, .041, .054 with 156.79lbs of tension. The Retros also sound more "open" and balanced. I'm liking the bell-like tones I'm getting especially with the capo at five for fingerstyle pieces like "Scarborough Fair".

I'll do the test again in about a month (if the Retros last that long) but I'm favouring them at this point over the Elixirs.

You won't find two sets of strings more different than those two.

I LOVE Monels.
I HATE Elixirs.
The End.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-13-2022, 11:55 PM

Update .
Curt Mangan Monel string round core 12-53 arriva at my home from Switzerland.
I’m very curious to try after end of life of Martin Retro set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion