The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 07:05 PM

I'm the OP - thanks but Gibson Custom Shop 1957 SJ-200 due any day now.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-13-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:31 PM

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone's reading...
There has been some recent discussions about the Avian line.

They went out of business a few years ago. Too bad, my Ibis is my favorite guitar.
Recently, a website offering a more limited line of Avian guitars popped up...A glitzy site but with little to no information to support whether or not they are actually the same company as the original, or even if they actually have any guitars to sell.

I'd be suspicious about the "new" Avian at this point.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM

I liked the sound sample I heard on Dream guitars some yrs ago but the appearance was a real put off. There are so many good sounding guitars that appeal to me why would I buy one I didnt like the looks of? Im responding to the comment of them closing for lack of business. If a person loves a guitar or it does something unique you want it to do, fine, I get that.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I've had a mahogany-back Skylark for several years and I agree about the styling - it still puts me off a bit. A soundhole in that general vicinity can be done in a more attractive manner. McPhearson certainly did that, albeit at 10 times the price.
That being said, each guitar has its voice - in this case a sweet warm/bright tone with unusally full low strings for what is essentially a 00-size guitar with a very nice neck and action.
So many good guitars out there!
Old 01-31-2022, 04:03 AM

I'm thinking about buying one. The company is still in business or back in business. They have a store in Shenzhen, China. I am going to visit there next week.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
I'm thinking about buying one. The company is still in business or back in business. They have a store in Shenzhen, China. I am going to visit there next week.
Let us know how that works out. I used to own one and it was a great guitar for the money.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:36 PM

Default The new AVIAN GUITARS are worth it

Of course, I'm biased. I designed these guitars and the new iterations of them are very good. I just got a sample of the latest builds and the quality is very good, for both playability and fit and finish. Check out reviews of them, play one if you can find one. Ask for them, so that more shops carry them.
I just signed on as chief designer and technician, and I am designing new models to bring designs for adventurous guitarists to available (but not cheap) pricing. I have designed for Fender, Jackson, Breedlove, AMIC, and others, but these are the best acoustics I've designed for any company. They incorporate many of the things I've developed over the past 50 years, and express the tonal flexibility I've aimed for. Some may be unusual looking to some people. they have a million dreadnoughts and jumbos. These are designed for comfort and tone, and playability. Again, don't take my word for it; find one and play it, or check out the reviews, Youtubes, and online posts. I've been gratified and honored by the positive responses I've received.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 PM

I owned one of their multi scaled guitars and it was awesome. One of the few affordable multiscale guitars out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion