The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-22-2021, 07:22 PM

Default NFMMHA (Fender Micro Mustang Headphone Amp) Day - I’m in love!

I just did a search and I am not the first on AGF to have purchased this, but IMO, it deserves another thread. Holy Moly!

This $99 gadget just arrived from Sweetwater today and I am incredibly impressed. I’ve tried headphone amps in the past and have been totally underwhelmed. But this little gadget - holy cow! Never mind all the emulations and effects- it just sounds great - just like a plugged in amp. And it’s blue tooth enabled, so I can stream from my iPad and play along.

This is an incredible piece of engineering. The controls are intuitive and based on multicolor leds. I’ve only played with it for an hour, so you might want to check some online reviews out there that may be more comprehensive.

For me, it’s the perfect practice amp. I am looking forward to many hours of playing time on this one.

Best,

Rick

PS - I play in a very confined space - no cables to trip over! Plus, you can walk all around the house while playing if you so desire.

PPS - Prior threads on the FMM:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=609999
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6675753

Last edited by srick; 04-23-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:50 PM

Rick, congrats on the NFMMHA (wow, that's a mouthful)! I just checked it out. Lots of great reviews. It seems similar in concept to the Vox AmPlug devices.

The ability to stream music to it through your headphones is great.

How did you come across it? I didn't realize Fender had one of these.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:37 PM

I've got both the Fender Mustang Micro and Vox Amplug 2 Clean.

The Fender hall reverb is a big step up.

Being able to step through many amp models is another big plus, though I like the Amplug 2 clean "orange" Twin quite a bit (there are three choices). Head to head, favorite amp vs favorite amp, the Micro wins.

The Fender build quality is much better

The Vox has a pre gain control but the volume knob on my guitar works just as well with the Fender.

You would think with as few features as the Amplug 2 implements that the UI would be intuitive, but it isn't. The Micro is dirt simple to use.

Now any decent Bluetooth speaker is a decent tabletop battery powered amp. I have found the $75 (on sale right now) Klipsch Groove a good choice after trying quite a few. Most of the Bose have too much compression (to protect the tiny speaker drivers) and I had to update the firmware on my Revolve Plus to get rid of half a second delay on the aux input (I guess someone at Bose thought having the same latency on Bluetooth and AUX was a good idea???).

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-23-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How did you come across it? I didn't realize Fender had one of these.
Well, funny thing Dru, I saw it referenced on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and it piqued my interest (have you ever visited that site? ). Then, I checked it out on Sweetwater.

I pulled the trigger immediately because I needed to reward myself for a job well done (in life and work). It turned out to be a great purchase.

I am looking forward to bringing the tele out on the deck, slapping on the headphones and playing along with Truefire lessons and videos on my iPad!

Best,

Rick

PS - I have one of the Vox amp plugs and, well, let’s just say it was a waste of money.

Last edited by srick; 04-23-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Now any decent Bluetooth speaker is a decent tabletop battery powered amp. I have found the $75 (on sale right now) Klipsch Groove a good choice after trying quite a few. Most of the Bose have too much compression (to protect the tiny speaker drivers) and I had to update the firmware on my Revolve Plus to get rid of half a second delay on the aux input (I guess someone at Bose thought having the same latency on Bluetooth and AUX was a good idea???).

Jon-

What a cool idea!

Rick
Old 04-25-2021, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Agree. I have an older VOX, and this is a quantum leap in user-friendliness and tone! And the BT is a definite bonus. Some will criticize its simplicity and lack of customizable tone shaping, etc....but honestly, its few presets (that are EASY to navigate) cover all my favorite tones easily. I can dig out my Line 6 effects if I want to get lost in 4000 tone parameters and modulations. Ill reach for the MMHA when I want to PLAY.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-25-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Well, funny thing Dru, I saw it referenced on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and it piqued my interest (have you ever visited that site? ). Then, I checked it out on Sweetwater.

I pulled the trigger immediately because I needed to reward myself for a job well done (in life and work). It turned out to be a great purchase.

I am looking forward to bringing the tele out on the deck, slapping on the headphones and playing along with Truefire lessons and videos on my iPad!

Best,

Rick

PS - I have one of the Vox amp plugs and, well, let’s just say it was a waste of money.
Rick, rewards for a job well done are what makes the effort worth it. I've never used any headphone amp before but I've read a lot about them. What Voc ampPlug do you have?
Old 04-27-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Rick, rewards for a job well done are what makes the effort worth it. I've never used any headphone amp before but I've read a lot about them. What Voc ampPlug do you have?
Just found it Dru - Vox AC30. It was a very noisy little device that never sounded right.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars