The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Wow, that's like a textbook example of a scam letter.
Calling an unknown seller "brother"? Yeah, that also tripped my paranoia switch!

That said, I've routinely bought things from amazon (.com or .co.uk) with shipping via friends outside the EU, last time even via a relative of an inlaw family member. Never had any issues. Evidently without intention to scam anyone; with a private seller I would have brought up the plan beforehand to see if s/he had any issues with it.

BTW, back in the day I did have a PayPal address with a friend in NY that I'm pretty certain was verified.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, that's like a textbook example of a scam letter.

How is it a scam?…the guy paid for the guitar and based on my experiences it’s not all that unusual. I’ve had similar requests from well known buyers here on the AGF. He might be scamming the Brazilian government by acquiring an imported instrument without paying a tax but all the seller has to do is transfer the funds to an account before shipping. I do that as a safeguard on all my internet sales.

That said I don’t think anyone should proceed with an internet transaction that they’re not comfortable with because there are absolutely lots of scammers out there.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
How is it a scam?…the guy paid for the guitar and based on my experiences it’s not all that unusual. I’ve had similar requests from well known buyers here on the AGF. He might be scamming the Brazilian government by acquiring an imported instrument without paying a tax but all the seller has to do is transfer the funds to an account before shipping. I do that as a safeguard on all my internet sales.

That said I don’t think anyone should proceed with an internet transaction that they’re not comfortable with because there are absolutely lots of scammers out there.
I agree completely. Nothing about this set off my scam radar. The buyer paid and asked that it be shipped to a certain address. The request for help that it be received at said address before Mar 21 could simply mean his friend had already purchase airline tickets an that was the latest date it could be received so they could take it with them. Don't see how any of this is a scam. A scam to me is someone trying to get you to send them something for nothing. Don't see any of that here.

But I also agree if you are uncomfortable with a transaction, for any reason, cancelling is justified.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-12-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Calling an unknown seller "brother"? Yeah, that also tripped my paranoia switch!
It's a pretty common way for Spanish/Portuguese speakers to address people when their English isn't very good/they are running things through a translator. "Boy" is another one which is a bit more off putting the first time you hear it, but again pretty common.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I've shipped to a freight forwarder before. As long as you're shipping to the verified address, what happens after is not your problem or worry. If it was to a specific address and you got it there it's all good.

That message didn't look like a scam to me. It sounds like he was just trying to set it up to have it brought to him.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Rather than depend on Reverb, have payment be by wire transfer. Once you have the funds in your account proceed with the transaction.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-12-2024, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Double post
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 03-12-2024 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:26 PM

I would have asked Reverb if it was OK to ship.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:42 PM

I smell no fish. It's not as if no one in Brazil plays guitar.

Reverb escrows the money, so you're not risking losing it by shipping the guitar to Jersey. Reverb gets the money as soon as the deal is closed. When you send a tracking number, the money is released to you. Fast.

If you're not sure, ask the folks at Reverb. Their customer service is prompt.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-12-2024 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I smell no fish. It's not as if no one in Brazil plays guitar.

Reverb escrows the money, so I don't see how'd you'd be risking anything by shipping the guitar to Jersey. They get the money as soon as the deal is closed. When you send a tracking number, the money is released to you.

If you're not sure, ask the folks at Reverb. Their customer service is prompt.
Yeah, heck, go ahead. What could go wrong?
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 PM

Maybe I am a *******, but how is this a scam? Because they said the name of another country? And what do you care happens to the guitar after it is purchased, shipped and accepted, and the money is deposited in your account? Are feeling like something is going to happen after the guitar arrives to the person in NJ? That can happen on any sale, and the person who would be planning on doing something fishy sure as hell would not start saying fishy things in advance just so you could get nervous. Are you sure they aren't just being conversational and friendly? Reverb protection is the real deal, and Reverb almost always sides with the buyer. If you are nervous, document your shipping process, and use reverb shipping. I am just not sure how this is a scam.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 03-12-2024, 08:16 PM

If the check is no good and you've shipped the guitar. what then? I once had a $20000 from Canada bounce - after 2 months. I called the bank and they explained how it can take that long to clear. I wouldn't touch the deal unless I was convinced that once Reverb gets the money, you will receive it or they have to make it good if it takes a long time to bounce or to fully clear.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, heck, go ahead. What could go wrong?
1. Reverb could go out of business and have all its assets seized overnight.

2. The global monetary system could collapse, rendering all legal tender worthless.

3. An asteroid with an overactive pituitary could pulverize Earth.

But all that could happen no matter who the buyer is.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-12-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If the check is no good and you've shipped the guitar.
There is no check. It's all direct transfers. You're not cleared to ship until Reverb has the money. That's one of the reasons a lot of us do business through Reverb.

Quote:
what then? I once had a $20000 from Canada bounce - after 2 months. I called the bank and they explained how it can take that long to clear.
I understand your concern, but there's sinply no check to clear. That's exactly why so many people use Reverb. It can't happen.

Quote:
I wouldn't touch the deal unless I was convinced that once Reverb gets the money, you will receive it or they have to make it good if it takes a long time to bounce or to fully clear.
There's no check to bounce. Reverb has the money. They transfer it to you as soon as Reverb gets the tracking number.

What's nice about Reverb is that what happened to you can't happen through them. The money is escrowed before you ship.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Once payment clears
What's needed here is a clear, simple, quantifiable definition of this phrase.

Mine might be "cash in my hand with no legal way of it being removed".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion