The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 08:30 AM

Default acoustic strings

phosphor bronze or 80/20 for Martin ooo18. Brand and/or what other strings
Old 02-21-2024, 08:40 AM

Might try some Martin Retro's.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:45 AM

D'Addario XS, phospher bronze. My new (very) favorite string.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:48 AM

Just answered this in two other threads. There must be something going around.

What my ears and fingers like aren't necessarily what yours will like. So experiment. If you like playing, you'll go through lots and lots of strings.

Your post will net you lots of recommendations, of course. Try 'em all.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:50 AM

PS -

Most strings sound good. I've been playing since '68, and only once have I ever taken a set off after a minute of playing.

(And for some players, they're beloved strings. We all have different ears.)

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Dave View Post
phosphor bronze or 80/20 for Martin ooo18. Brand and/or what other strings
Hi Dave…
String experiments are among the cheapest guitar costs available. To me they are not a mystery. I did this 40 years back when Nashville Straight strings (never coiled and sold in a long thin box) went away.

I had to figure out what I was going to string my D-28 with. I had used them in both Bronze (80/20) and Phosphor Bronze. They also had nickel for electrics but I didn't have an electric back in those days.

I suggest you get a couple packs EACH of generic, uncoated (any brand) 80/20, phosphor bronze and one zinc (yes). The zinc are the retro style acoustic strings people speak of in the forum.

If you run them from fresh-out-of-the-box to death, you will know what you like on your guitars, and then you can zero in on the particular brands…or style (coated or not).

If you do this for each guitar, you'll soon know how strings respond on your instruments, with your hands playing them.

Otherwise you are just listening to us post the results of our haphazard explorations and current favorites.

Have fun playing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

DR Sunbeams.

Always Phosphor Bronze; I’ve never liked 80/20s on anything so I quit trying them.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:45 AM

D'Addario Light gauge Phosphor bronze
Old 02-21-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
. . . Otherwise you are just listening to us post the results of our haphazard explorations and current favorites. . . .
'Zackly.

And our results and favorites will not be what your results and favoritesz will be, because you're not wearing our ears.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Everyone's ears are different, but I have been using John Pearse 600L Phosphor Bronze Lights on my acoustics since the 1980's. I've switched around and tried several brands along the way, but I always come back to the Pearse strings. They just have a nice richness to them. For what it's worth, I hate the sound of new strings until they get a couple hours of playing time for the overt zingyness to go away. After that it's bliss until it's time to put on a new set.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-21-2024, 10:06 AM

acoustic strings

Most of my six-string guitars wear Elixir PB HD Light gauge, except for a couple that don't like them.
Elixir HD Light gauge combines Medium trebles with Light bass strings.
Elixir HD gauge = {.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .052}.
Might be worth a try, but I haven't owned a dreadnought for nearly 50 years.

I favor large Jumboes, and used a lot of Medium gauge strings from different manufacturers over the years, so the slightly fatter treble E and B strings are familiar territory. But being large body (17" lower bout), a good Jumbo doesn't need Medium bass strings, and the overall effect is to make the sound more balanced anyway. And I think Jumboes start life better balanced than most. And a Grand Concert is essentially a small jumbo shape too. The 412 is a short scale, but sounds larger with the rosewood B&S.

And my older hands appreciate the slightly lesser tension.

I also fingerpick using my nails and like the results.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-21-2024 at 10:18 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 02-21-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

The choice of strings, wrapping material, gauge , and coated/uncoated is a constant challenge, and the many and various string brands keep changing and introducing New! different, better etc., just to keep us chopping and changing ... and I fall for it too!

I believe that string choice is as personal as your choice of underpants!

FWIW - I usually try various new wonder strings ten go back to Daddario E16s and Ej17s or Martin MA540 and MA550.

(Choice of underpants not stated!)
Old 02-21-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I believe that string choice is as personal as your choice of underpants!

(Choice of underpants not stated!)

Andy,

Thank you for not sharing.

Especially if you've heard the joke about the doctor and underwear.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-21-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dave…
String experiments are among the cheapest guitar costs available. To me they are not a mystery. I did this 40 years back when Nashville Straight strings (never coiled and sold in a long thin box) went away.

I had to figure out what I was going to string my D-28 with. I had used them in both Bronze (80/20) and Phosphor Bronze. They also had nickel for electrics but I didn't have an electric back in those days.

I suggest you get a couple packs EACH of generic, uncoated (any brand) 80/20, phosphor bronze and one zinc (yes). The zinc are the retro style acoustic strings people speak of in the forum.

If you run them from fresh-out-of-the-box to death, you will know what you like on your guitars, and then you can zero in on the particular brands…or style (coated or not).

If you do this for each guitar, you'll soon know how strings respond on your instruments, with your hands playing them.

Otherwise you are just listening to us post the results of our haphazard explorations and current favorites.

Have fun playing.

This response should be on Auto-Answer to any thread asking what strings I should use. I can't tell you what YOU will like on your guitar, only what I like on mine (and even that changes).
Old 02-21-2024, 12:01 PM

For some years now, I've been on a bit of campaign to coax my fellow players away from the standard phosphor bronze or 80/20.

I've always found PBs to sound clangy and brilliant. Yes, you get heard, but it's not a relaxed sound. What else is there?

For starters, try Martin Monel. From the website: "Made from monel, a nickel-copper alloy, our Retro acoustic strings provide a reduced pick attack that allows the guitar's tonewoods to be heard—not overshadowed."

Try silk and steel strings. A bit mellower - and with less tension, they're easier on the fingers and hands. Here's an explanation and comparison:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog...silk-and-steel

Here's what I ended up with for fingerstyle: "La Bella's Silk & Steel sets are made with silver-plated copper wire, hand-wound over a middle layer of pure Italian silk filament and an inner steel core. Preferred by fingerstyle guitarists for their soft touch and sweet tone, these strings have less tension than standard steel, bronze or brass wound strings."

(One caveat: If you don't play them often the silver plate tarnishes and your fingertips turn black. So play them more!)

As someone said, strings are just the cheapest way to explore the different sounds your guitar can make. But first, try moving away from the standard phiosphor-bronze sets. There are some wonderful other sounds out there.

=K

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion