The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2024, 09:31 AM

Default Positive Grid Spark Live

I preordered the new Spark Live. No, I don’t need it. Yes, it is primarily designed for electric guitar, but it will work equally well on acoustic. I have the Spark Mini, the Go, so I know what to expect. It will be fun!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...newthread&f=16https://www.positivegrid.com/products/spark-live
Old 01-29-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I preordered the new Spark Live. No, I don’t need it. Yes, it is primarily designed for electric guitar, but it will work equally well on acoustic. I have the Spark Mini, the Go, so I know what to expect. It will be fun!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...newthread&f=16https://www.positivegrid.com/products/spark-live
Cool...Look forward to your thoughts!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-29-2024, 10:44 AM

For me, going electric means using a big jazz box arch top with a floating pickup, and playing jazzy fingerstyle. I know from my experience with the smaller Positive Grid amps that the effects chain will do that really well. I also know that I can get a very nice acoustic sound.

One thing I am excited about is the two banks of four presets. I can have one bank preset for acoustic and the other for jazz box electric.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:40 PM

Interestingly, the Spark Live has disappeared from Sweetwater's website except as a bundle with the wireless system or footswitch or both.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Interestingly, the Spark Live has disappeared from Sweetwater's website except as a bundle with the wireless system or footswitch or both.
I suspect this is due to high demand. Positive Grid has had issues in the past satisfying orders, so they may be shipping the first boxes to those who've purchased the whole kit.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:38 AM

This link shows all the models that will be available after updating to firmware and app versions that support the Spark Live. There are asterisks by all the ones that are unique to channel to on the Spark Live amp:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-...mp-Effect-List
Old 02-01-2024, 04:46 PM

Deleted because image link didn’t work.

Last edited by lkingston; 02-01-2024 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Image link didn’t work.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:04 PM

Curious to hear your thoughts once you get it. My Son-in-law has a Spark Mini and I played around with it once and really liked it.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
Curious to hear your thoughts once you get it. My Son-in-law has a Spark Mini and I played around with it once and really liked it.
I certainly like my Spark Mini (which I use mainly with acoustic guitar). If it sounds the same only louder, I’ll be pretty happy. That plus the vocal channel, and the stereo FRFR inputs.

The main appeal though I think is for the type of acoustic guitarist who uses a pedalboard as a part of their sound.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:22 PM

I am super excited about getting this amp. I really love playing with the Mini at home and find that it is the perfect size for practice and working out tones and effects. It is nowhere near enough sound to gig with though, and the Cab means extra stuff to carry and set up.

I think what I like about the Spark Live the most is being able to work stuff out on the Mini, then transfer the sounds to the Live for gigging.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I am super excited about getting this amp. I really love playing with the Mini at home and find that it is the perfect size for practice and working out tones and effects. It is nowhere near enough sound to gig with though, and the Cab means extra stuff to carry and set up.

I think what I like about the Spark Live the most is being able to work stuff out on the Mini, then transfer the sounds to the Live for gigging.
Ya I feel your excitement! I have Mini and Go. Live on Preorder,
Glad I didn’t buy the Cab.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:55 PM

Well the Spark Live came today. Just the amp. Not the battery or the wireless pedalboard.

The sound is quite amazing. As a Bluetooth speaker, it sounds clear and balanced down into the bass frequencies, which sound like a subwoofer system. Hands down the best portable Bluetooth speaker I have ever heard.

I am one of those who wants a processed, bigger than life acoustic guitar sound, and it does that nicely. Most acoustic (and electric) guitar amps have a built in high pass that keeps the guitar from sounding tubby, but you can use a sound hole cover or a Godin Multiac and keep the bass. This one lets you EQ that back in with an inserted bass EQ. I do a lot of fingerstyle thumb bass with walking bass lines and this am does that very well. It also can do that full range ambient sound that fits things like my Hans Zimmer Gladiator arrangement.

It also does electric guitar well and might be just the thing for a hybrid electric acoustic guitar.

The kickstand is very practical, as is the speaker stand mount.

I am looking forward to getting the battery and the wireless pedalboard.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:08 PM

Another point about this amp is that it is quite multipurpose. It would be very strong for bass or keyboards (within its power and size class of course), and I play both those instruments.

Also, the frequency response goes down low enough for a stomp pedal or something like a Roland Handsonic.

Last edited by lkingston; 03-22-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:27 PM

The battery came today. It just pops in with a single screw that you can loosen/tighten with a coin. Hardly any extra weight, and I love that it is so easily replaceable!
Old 03-23-2024, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Got mine yesterday as well. Can you test something for me? Whenever I go into the mixer it loses the mic sound and changes it to line for some reason. I have to unplug and plug it back in to work again. Seems like a bug

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification