The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
It's really not that much of a hassle to keep them in cases. I live about 1/2 mile from the ocean below San Francisco. I keep the cases humidified and pull 1 or 2 guitars out at a time. Whereas low/high humidity can impact guitars, I think we tend to think a bit too much about the issue at times. My guitars hold up great, but i can tell when they're getting a bit moist. A day or two in the cases, they are back to normal.
I don’t think San Francisco has the low humidity issues that southwestern or north eastern regions do. Might not be a hassle for you, but it will ruin my enjoyment. For example, sometimes while I’m cooking I’ll just grab a guitar and play while I’m waiting. No way would I do that if I had to go trudge upstairs, open up the case, bring it downstairs and then put it back after five minutes of playing.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Western Wisconsin across the river from MN/STP pumping 6 gallons a day into the house, RH between 25 and 30 percent. Guitars sound even less expensive. Thinking a summer project might be to build a controlled climate guitar cabinet.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:33 PM

Well, I'm glad you all are happy up north, but I may consider moving from Fort Worth to Fort Myers, FL to be with the rest of my family after this winter is over.

We are supposed to see -4F on Tuesday. I've never seen negative digits in my life! Not to mention, I'm a biologist who specializes in reptiles and fish. This weather is terrible for reptiles and fish.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I guess I'm just used to it. I grew up in a farm house out on a hill. I don't mind the cold that much. I know how to dress for it. The high today was nine below. The wife and I went out this morning, picked up a cup of coffee and drove around a while. Picked up one of those pre-made pizzas that you bake yourself and came home. A typical below zero Sunday. I went outside to do a few things, tried not to stay out in it too long.

As far as guitars, I should say instruments, because guitars aren't the only thing. We have a whole house humidifier that honestly struggles to keep the humidity above 35% when it is this cold. But I don't obsess over it. I realize that instruments drying out is a process. They don't self destruct just because the humidity drops under 45% for a few days. It takes time to dry out. I have a violin that belonged to my grand father that has made it through a hundred Iowa winters and is still playable. In a few days the humidity will come up again, before my guitars, ukuleles and my violin fly apart, and all will be well. It happens every winter.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-14-2021, 04:58 PM

I don't know how common dehumidistats are in houses and apartments, but, in my apartment I have two dehumidistats on the walls, near the bathrooms, that control high humidity by automatically turning on the bathroom fans when the humidity goes above the set level. If I want to know the accurate humidity level in that area of the apartment I turn the knob down until the bathroom fan turns on and then read the humidity % level. I start thinking and doing something about increasing humidity when the level reads below 30%.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:08 PM

I've lived in upstate NY for just shy of 70 years now and I hate cold and hate snow. What do I do? I suffer.

But the family is here, from the great aunt to the grandchildren. But winter only lasts for 6 months here. Humidity is a constant battle. I wouldn't consider a car without all wheel drive.

Summer is nice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-14-2021, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

To me dealing and being involved with nature in it's many forms helps me feel alive and involve with the world. A person does get used to the cold to some extent. What the OP is feeling is something we may feel in late fall until we get toughen up for winter. More clothes helps. You can always put on more clothes but you can only take so many off in the heat.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Where's the "Like" button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
Well, I'm glad you all are happy up north, but I may consider moving from Fort Worth to Fort Myers, FL to be with the rest of my family after this winter is over.

We are supposed to see -4F on Tuesday. I've never seen negative digits in my life! Not to mention, I'm a biologist who specializes in reptiles and fish. This weather is terrible for reptiles and fish.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Every year here in Chicago I swear it is my last. But, here I am fifty plus years later. Guitars stay in their cases, particularly in this protracted cold snap, and we bundle up when we venture outside.

I am long over the “snow is pretty” mentality, but I still love the Midwest!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Every year here in Chicago I swear it is my last. But, here I am fifty plus years later. Guitars stay in their cases, particularly in this protracted cold snap, and we bundle up when we venture outside.

I am long over the “snow is pretty” mentality, but I still love the Midwest!
Well my one visit to Chicago (a long four day anniversary weekend some years ago) was great! Even in August we had to go to the Northface store and buy a couple fleece pull overs. I guess they don't call it the windy city for nothing? But it's a great town...food, drink, sports, entertainment, it's all there. And I'm really not a "city boy". But I had a blast and hope to go back one day...but not in the winter? The one thing about Chicago that really stood out to me was the people. Very warm and welcoming...a lot like southerners. That and the city was very clean. Very little if any trash anywhere. Oh yeah...and the neighborhood at the corner of Oak & Rush Streets. I spent a week there one afternoon!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:37 PM

30 years ago I went to Chicago to visit an old girlfriend. Left Savannah Georgia, and it was 71°. Arrived in Chicago and it was 5°. If not for the cold Chicago could be the perfect city. I’m convinced the cold is why Chicago is one of the best bar cities.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

After 32 years of east coast winters, including a weather-related car accident that came close to killing me, I'm happy to never see snow again (except maybe a day-trip up to the mountains).

Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
After 32 years of east coast winters, including a weather-related car accident that came close to killing me, I'm happy to never see snow again (except maybe a day-trip up to the mountains).

Yeah but instead of worrying about humidity affecting your guitars you have to worry about fires burning them up.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Cases all the time (even in summer) double or triple element homemade MI strength in case humidifiers. Two steel strings in case covers as well - classical in a pretty tight sealed ABS.

Humidifiers are re-charged about ever 4-5 days.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Yeah but instead of worrying about humidity affecting your guitars you have to worry about fires burning them up.
Ha! Thankfully, I'm in Sacramento, which is flat and isolated from most natural disasters (I call our area the "Kansas" of CA). And I'm with you about leaving my guitars out on racks and stands, so thankfully, this area is perfect for that. Summer days are HOT, but evenings are cool... so I actually have to run a dehumidifer in the summer b/c we run a house fan to pull in the cool, moist air. In the winter, we run two humidifiers, but it's been mild (low 60s), so they've barely turned on in the last month.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion