The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Default Mad respect for you guys up north: How do you do it?

I feel like the apocalypse has come to Texas, as I’ve never seen cold like this. Up till now, I’ve been impressed by my house humidifier, but it can’t keep up with this weather. As an emergency measure, I had to move all of the guitars into our guest bedroom, in which I’ve been able to maintain 45-50% humidity.

How are you guys coping, especially those of you from the south? And for you Northerners, why oh why do you put up with this on a regular basis?

[IMG]89305A65-305F-412C-8391-0452B1B74272 by Jared Wood, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]6679B217-913E-4446-AB53-51977F338553 by Jared Wood, on Flickr[/IMG]
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:37 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

We are in the midst of the longest sub-freezing cold snap in at least 40 years. Started Monday and isn’t expected to end for another week. And to cap it off we’re slammed by 8 to 12 inches of snow today, which is crazy for Oklahoma. This time of year we are usually sunny and in the 50s. Thanks to this weird weather the heater’s running virtually nonstop and my house is dryer than it’s ever been.

So how are my guitars doing? Fine. But I’ve had to double down on my humidification efforts.

As you can see from the pic of my Govee devices, RH in the house is about 15%. Thanks to my Vornado humidifier, it’s 10 points higher in the master bedroom where the guitars are kept in their cases. And with Humidipaks and Herco clay humidifiers in the cases, both guitars are safely in the +/- 49% range. My low maintenance humidifying system (refill the humidifier tanks every three days or so and swap out Humidipaks every 4-6 weeks) is paying off big time this winter.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I don't "put up" with this. I enjoy it..I enjoy the quiet after a snowfall, I enjoy the way the trees look with snow on them, I enjoy snowshoeing, and cross country skiing in both daylight and moonlight. There's a peace in the winter and a sense of time standing still. You have to dress for it. Layers, warm coat or jacket, good gloves, boots, etc.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-14-2021, 01:43 PM

I grew up in southern Oklahoma, so I understand.

That’s a cool digital monitoring system. I may need to get one of those.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Default BBBBRRRRRRRrrrrrrr...

JPricewood, I posted about this yesterday down in the Open Mic room...

We're in the Hill Country between SA and Austin...out in the country on top of a hill, wind blowin' through out little old farm house right now. Humidity has been in the mid 20's along with the temps for several days, temps are dropping down to single digits tonite...if you aren't from TX, you don't understand. I lived most of my life on the coast, so low humidity was never much of a problem. Up here in the hills I really only watch it in the winter when the heater is on. Instruments in cases with humidifiers.

How are we coping?
Just like we do in hurricanes...just a winter-cane. Trying to protect pipes from freezing and bursting is my biggest concern.

We are not set for and our homes are not built for sub 32 degrees.
My toes were numb, fingers stiff, and guitar strings hurt to touch...so, back in the cases with humidifiers over here. Can sit on the computer to pass the time...still not actually playing.

Road's are iced over, Tailgate's froze, gate won't close...we ain't going no where.
C'mon summer!

One northern fella suggested washing your hands in hot water to get the fingers thawed...in case you are wanting to play.

How are ya'll holding up?
Old 02-14-2021, 01:45 PM

Mad respect for you guys up north: How do you do it?

jpricewood,

Simply put, we do what we have to. Besides, the weather changes over the course of the year. It's actually not boring either. In the middle of my 74th year on spaceship earth, and not planning to go anywhere else. Could be worse, one of my sons is currently freezing in Wisconsin. I live in Masssachusetts, and always have, minus some time working for Uncle Sam's Army.

As for guitars, I use the Oasis tube system and keep my guitars in their cases, and they winter with Oasis humidifiers and a hygrometer in each case. And they stay there when not being used. Currently in the middle of a very 'dry' indoor season due to the constant dry heat served up by radiators. When the situation is the opposite in summer humidity, the guitars are still in their cases, but without the Oasis humidifiers as Mother Nature provides that. In times of really wonky humidity, I lean on one of my laminate guitars, usually my Epiphone EJ-200.

Edit > And the thermostat is set to 62 degrees year round. And no air-conditioning - a choice.

So that's kind of it. Oh yeah, please be careful driving on icy roads, If you are not used to it, it can be a disaster. I saw the pictures from the Fort Worth highway a few days ago.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-14-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
JPricewood, I posted about this yesterday down in the Open Mic room...

We're in the Hill Country between SA and Austin...out in the country on top of a hill, wind blowin' through out little old farm house right now. Humidity has been in the mid 20's along with the temps for several days, temps are dropping down to single digits tonite...if you aren't from TX, you don't understand. I lived most of my life on the coast, so low humidity was never much of a problem. Up here in the hills I really only watch it in the winter when the heater is on. Instruments in cases with humidifiers.

How are we coping?
Just like we do in hurricanes...just a winter-cane. Trying to protect pipes from freezing and bursting is my biggest concern.

We are not set for and our homes are not built for sub 32 degrees.
My toes were numb, fingers stiff, and guitar strings hurt to touch...so, back in the cases with humidifiers over here. Can sit on the computer to pass the time...still not actually playing.

Road's are iced over, Tailgate's froze, gate won't close...we ain't going no where.
C'mon summer!

One northern fella suggested washing your hands in hot water to get the fingers thawed...in case you are wanting to play.

How are ya'll holding up?
San Marcos area? That’s one of my favorite spots in Texas.

We are doing okay. We still have power, and I have a four-wheel drive truck, which helps. I hate it though. We can’t go outside because we don’t own any winter gear, can’t play baseball, can’t do anything other than worry about pipes and pool equipment freezing.

Give me hurricanes and tornadoes any day over a week of this.

This also sums up how we are doing:
[IMG]7EC0FC7E-781E-42F6-84F3-596DE602C3D1 by Jared Wood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by jpricewood; 02-14-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Rev. Roy, that is a way cool set up...
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 PM

So that's kind of it. Oh yeah, please be careful driving on icy roads, If you are not used to it, it can be a disaster. I saw the pictures from the Fort Worth highway a few days ago.

Don
.[/QUOTE]

That happened about 15 minutes from me. Very sad, especially because many of the victims were healthcare workers. My wife is a healthcare worker, but thankfully, she exits I-35 before the section where the crash happened.

People around the country make fun of us, but we just aren’t used to dealing with this. We are specialized for heat.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Glad you enjoy it.
Actually, I love winter too...but typically have to travel to Colorado or New Mexico these days to experience it. It is MUCH easier to enjoy when the home you live in is built for winter weather...

So, what's this winter storm like to Texans?

Imagine living in a Tiki Hut in Alaska and your wardrobe consists of flip flops and shorts, that dampens the "oh boy this is great" spirit a bit.

On a positive note, we haven't seen a mosquito in weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I don't "put up" with this. I enjoy it..I enjoy the quiet after a snowfall, I enjoy the way the trees look with snow on them, I enjoy snowshoeing, and cross country skiing in both daylight and moonlight. There's a peace in the winter and a sense of time standing still. You have to dress for it. Layers, warm coat or jacket, good gloves, boots, etc.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Yes, live near San Marcos, the Whitewater Amphitheater, Gruene Hall, and Guadalupe River.
And yes, glad you have electricity and hope it continues...we do have power, and a wood burning stove that we are huddled around. Life's pretty good.
And like hurricanes,
This too will pass.

JPricewood said: "San Marcos area? That’s one of my favorite spots in Texas.

We are doing okay. We still have power, and I have a four-wheel drive truck, which helps. I hate it though. We can’t go outside because we don’t own any winter gear, can’t play baseball, can’t do anything other than worry about pipes and pool equipment freezing.

Give me hurricanes and tornadoes any day over a week of this."
Old 02-14-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm north of you but Kansas City is not real north. That said the thermometer has been hovering between 0 and 8 degrees. Used to live in central California. Wife's job moved us here. My motivation was retirement. Now with Covid, she works from home. I keep house and play guitars. Met the wife in '82 had already been in a gigging band for four years. Continued gigging steady till '06-ish With things slowing down and members dying. Started studio. Kept the same schedule. Just in a studio situation. Difference was, she knew where to find me if she needed me. Yes the cold is a different animal to deal with. Don't know how I'd handle it if I had to get out and go to work in it.
KarenB is right about the peace and quiet after the snow. We get out and walk our Saint Pyreneese pup in it. She loves it. 6 mo old pup 103 lbs. You'd be surprised what you can deal with.
For me, retirement was worth the move. Down side was, leaving my studio in California. I think about setting one up here. But I don't know. I don't do things like the kids today. And don't want to. I'm sure there are more like me out there. Just havent found any yet. The current situation doesn't help. So like everyone else I'll bide my time. Building my solo repertoire. Playing things I always wanted to, but couldn't. For one reason or another. Coming up with what I think is a pretty slick style. Don't know how original it is. But I think it's unique. And I can do it from the warmth of my living room.
No stranger to woodshedding. So the time spent practicing, will keep me ready for .....What's next?
Old 02-14-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
I feel like the apocalypse has come to Texas, as I’ve never seen cold like this.
Sorry about that. We try not to let it get past Wyoming. We're not getting above zero today.

One of the most humorous episodes I can recall was when I lived in Austin, and the roads got covered in snow and ice for a few days. Texans had no clue how to drive on it. Or when not to drive on it.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I agree with this^.

I lived most of my life in California...where most of the state has two seasons: “green” and “brown”. And perhaps because the weather is almost always welcoming of outdoor pursuits (and because there are so many people there), it seems like the natural rhythms of the seasons are overridden. There isn't a “going in” season, or a “quiet” season in much of the state.

i moved to the Northeast 5 years ago. Love the snow and its beauty and quiet. Love the way it propels one inward. Love the way it promotes an ease and quiet in the long nights.

And, the houses are well insulated here, so it is often more comfy in my house here with temps in the 20’s than it was in my parents house in Southern California when the temps got into the 50’s.

Last: eventually you learn to dress for the weather here. A friend says, “there is no bad weather, just bad clothing.” More true than you can imagine. In California, “layering” meant two or three layers of cotton shirts, and that doesn’t cut it when the weather is genuinely cold.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:34 PM

What beautiful guitars! Smart move to put them all in the same room where you can more easily control the environment rather than all throughout your home.

How do we get through the winters up here? With hope that summer is coming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion