The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2020, 07:21 AM

I’ve left mine out during good humidity on Hercules stands. They seem to do the trick for me.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I've used an Ultimate Guitar Stand without any problems with my nitro guitars.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...0-guitar-stand
I have used Ultimate stands for years. For extra protection, always place a 100% cotton cloth between my guitar and the stand. All of my guitars are nitro finish and I have never had a problem.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:54 PM

Interested in the type of project that requires a guitar being kept in a stand.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-31-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
First off, I can't see any situation that would lead you to leave your guitar out for three weeks. Regardless of how long I have played, I can always put it back in the case. That said. I've been using a Cooper stand at the house. Haven't seen a problem. Then again I won't leave it in the stand all night. I also have one of the briefcase sized cases. Holds three guitars securely, in the same material that's in a guitar case.
I have five guitars and none of them are in their cases. I use Hercules GSP38WB Plus hangers on one wall in my office/music room which is environentally friendly with a normal yearly temperature range of 69-70F and a relative humidity between 45-55% all year round. They only time they go in a cage is if they travel with me.

As for a floor stand, a cheap one with linen or some other cloth is good. That's what I use when I have to put it down to answer the door or the phone... These Hurcules are fantastic. But I also do not have any guitars with a Nitro finish
Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 PM

When I picked up my new Gibson last week I was talking to the store owner about nitro finishes.

He told me about a customer who came in one day, "All my guitars are melting!"

After a little investigating it turned out all his guitars were on wall hangers - but not guitar hangers - he found some wall mounting tool hangers at his local hardware store.

You can guess the rest.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-31-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Hercules auto locking. It only grabs the base of the headstock and lest the rest hang. If you're overly concerned, you can use felt, linen or cork to insulate it where it does touch.
Agreed. I have a couple of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-foldable-yoke

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-31-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Interested in the type of project that requires a guitar being kept in a stand.
I play two of my guitars every day, several times a day. I don't want to have to un-case and re-case them every time. I also use stands, or did, before COVID-19, on stage.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Hercules.

My large floor stand is home made and lined with adhesive backed felt, about 1/4" thick. Most of my wall hangers are also home made and lined with leather.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Going to look into a few of the stands that secure the guitar at the neck and add a felt or linen material for added insurance.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2 guitar Hercules hanging stand. My only issue with those is that if you get a guitar with a slim headstock you'll have the guitar basically hanging by the tuners. I had that issue with a Collings D1A and that Hercules stand. You would take it off and see the grooves in the rubber from the gears of the tuners on the back of the headstock.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:32 PM

This is still the best hanger style guitar stand made. No mechanical parts to fail, no plastic parts to leech chemicals and become sticky. The rubber sleeves are inert and safe yet I make tubes from felt material and slide them over the forks as a precaution. I also put pipe insulation on the stand to allow hanging a mandolin on it without touching the metal. Can be ordered in chrome or black.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...MaAh06EALw_wcB
Old 11-01-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I have a 2 guitar Hercules hanging stand. My only issue with those is that if you get a guitar with a slim headstock you'll have the guitar basically hanging by the tuners. I had that issue with a Collings D1A and that Hercules stand. You would take it off and see the grooves in the rubber from the gears of the tuners on the back of the headstock.
Uncle Jesse, Are your Hercules stands older ones? Because they do make a model that has removable sleeves (pads) that narrow the gap between the pegs (yoke).

http://herculesstands.com/us/product...)/gs414b-plus/

I have 5 GPS38WB-Plus hangers that screw into wall studs and both my Joe Pass Emperor II Pro and DeArmond M75 have very narrow necks and there is no issue when using the sleeves.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Uncle Jesse, Are your Hercules stands older ones? Because they do make a model that has removable sleeves (pads) that narrow the gap between the pegs (yoke).

http://herculesstands.com/us/product...)/gs414b-plus/

I have 5 GPS38WB-Plus hangers that screw into wall studs and both my Joe Pass Emperor II Pro and DeArmond M75 have very narrow necks and there is no issue when using the sleeves.
I got it last year at guitar center. It was a double but didn’t have any additional parts so maybe it was an older model.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:04 PM

I would not trust any for any length of time
Old 11-02-2020, 02:13 AM

How comes that makers of stands don’t cover the guitar touching part with a fabric that is nitro save?
This is a problem for many many years now, there are lots of damaged guitars (I have one too) and it should not be so difficult to solve that problem. Imagine the interior of a guitar case would damage the finish!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion