The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 06:53 PM

Default About Capos

So I really want an alternate tuning capo but the only one I’ve seen has shall we say questionable reviews. What is a guitar hack with a really nice guitar to do?

Last edited by FOG01; 03-15-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
So I really want an alternate tuning capo but the only I’ve seen has shall we say questionable reviews. What is a guitar hack with a really nice guitar to do?
What's an "alternative tuning capo"?

If you are looking for a good capo of the regular persuasion then pick up a Dunlop Pivot.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-15-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:03 PM

So an alternate tuning capo frets each string Individually so I could tune down and capo up as it were to avoid excessive string tension.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:06 PM

If I remember correctly there’s a brand called the Spyder capo that has individual string adjustment.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-15-2024, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
So an alternate tuning capo frets each string Individually so I could tune down and capo up as it were to avoid excessive string tension.
That's a reasonable use of them, and they work just fine as long as you are playing open strings. But, remember, as soon as you fret a note in front of the capo, it's as if the capo weren't there.

You very well may already understand that, but it's a bit of a confusing issue... here's a somewhat recent thread on it: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653658

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-15-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
If I remember correctly there’s a brand called the Spyder capo that has individual string adjustment.

Wade Hampton Miller
It was an interesting capo for sure. It took some degree of patience to get things settled and in place but I got interesting results. I dunno where mine went...into the ether I suppose. I'm not sure if this is what the OP is asking about but I'm interested in finding mine and giving it another go!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion