The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-18-2021, 12:19 AM

Default John Gorka thread

I stumbled on to John Gorka on YouTube a few years ago. I guess he flies a little under the radar, seems to be more on the East coast and I’m in San Francisco.
This guys has some good stuff, seems to play small venues.
I recorded this one, “Love Is Our Cross To Bear.”
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/l...ross-to-bear-1
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 08-18-2021, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I have a number of his albums from the late '90s.
I used to frequent a record (CD) shop with a young lady who knew my interests and would select CDs for me to buy She would give me albums to try, and either return them or return to pay for them. A nice trustworthy arrangement which cost me quite a lot!

I used to song some of his songs - the only one I can remember is "Carnival Knowledge" -a very clever and sad song, but too complex for most audiences to "get"
Old 08-18-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

BruceBubs suggested I do this John Gorka song quite a while ago. I think it's a very sweet, touching song.

- Glenn
Old 08-18-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I stumbled on to John Gorka on YouTube a few years ago. I guess he flies a little under the radar, seems to be more on the East coast and I’m in San Francisco.
This guys has some good stuff, seems to play small venues.
I recorded this one, “Love Is Our Cross To Bear.”
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/l...ross-to-bear-1
Nice job on this.

In researching John Gorka songs in the past I have come across this song many times. He certainly is a fascinating song writer, songs written in some depth.

- Glenn
Old 08-18-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I was fortunate to see JG in the late 1980's at a little outdoor music festival in Seattle (could have been Tacoma; I was visiting friends there and they said "You have to come here this guy John Gorka; we're taking you...").

He was so shy but clearly "going somewhere" with his music. He would hardly look out at the audience. He had just released his first CD, "I Know".

After that I bought all his CD's for the next decade or so (I did finally stop but I have 7 anyway). My wife and I had the chance to see him in Raleigh, about a decade ago. He was touring with Eliza Gilkyson, Lucy Kaplanski (she does some great backup harmonies with him on some of his recordings), and one other fellow who's name I forget.

I've been enjoying his stuff all these years. I still have a car with a nice CD system and I carry 3-4 of his around all the time. On a plane too (I still use my portable CD player when traveling and I always have a couple JGorka CD's on me).

His lyrics are witty, "smart", can be deep, but not preachy. Definitely a bit of a "thinking man's" musician. And yes, the lyrics/music can be oh so sad. Indeed, my friends in Tacoma, who first turned me on to him with such glowing praise, later told me they had to stop listening to him b/c so many of the songs he was producing were so sad. Honest but........ as my wife often says to me "Maybe a little too much honestly around here.....".

JAG

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
I was fortunate to see JG in the late 1980's at a little outdoor music festival in Seattle (could have been Tacoma; I was visiting friends there and they said "You have to come here this guy John Gorka; we're taking you...").

He was so shy but clearly "going somewhere" with his music. He would hardly look out at the audience. He had just released his first CD, "I Know".

After that I bought all his CD's for the next decade or so (I did finally stop but I have 7 anyway). My wife and I had the chance to see him in Raleigh, about a decade ago. He was touring with Eliza Gilkyson, Lucy Kaplanski (she does some great backup harmonies with him on some of his recordings), and one other fellow who's name I forget.

JAG
I saw John in the late 90's in Atlanta, touring with Cheryl Wheeler and Cliff Eberhardt (I was touring with Eberhardt's GF at the time, and we were a couple hours away so we we able to meet up). All those folks are really talented and know how to connect with an audience.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Discovered him through Windham Hill compilation albums - one of the 'Winters Solstice' series - it was unusual the hear vocals on these mostly instrumental albums - his 'Christmas Bells' was just beautiful - bought several albums - my favourite is 'Temporary Road'.

Glenn does a wonderful job with 'If I Could Forget To Breathe'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-18-2021, 10:30 AM

Default One of my favorites...

Based on what I know, which isn't everything, John Gorka is just about the best singer/songwriter going. My wife won't listen to him because he's too sad. That's just one of the reasons I love him. Playing live, I've seen his shows fill the room with laughter. And I love to be drenched in that rich baritone voice.

His early work hits me the hardest. Here's a gritty complaint against gentrification from 1994. It also launches a subtle blow against a certain NYC property developer and TV celebrity who later came to dominate all our lives, while insulting him in the perfectly indirect way- forgetting his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhig0mC10go
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Musical minimalist

One of my favorites from the 80's era....I'll have to get busy and record one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell