The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar stand that won’t damage nitro

What do you guys recommend for a guitar stand that won’t leave any marks or imprints in nitro? I typically leave mine in the case but I’m working on a project that will require me to leave it out for a few weeks.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't fully trust the material used on any guitar stand which comes in contact with the instrument, regardless of what users or manufacturers say and regardless of the finish on the guitar.

A simple solution is to purchase a functional stand and cover the foam/rubber material at the contact points with cork cut from a thin sheet of cork.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:46 PM

Hercules auto locking. It only grabs the base of the headstock and lest the rest hang. If you're overly concerned, you can use felt, linen or cork to insulate it where it does touch.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:21 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-guitar-stand

This is the stand you want. One of the best on the market. Certainly one of the sturdiest, if not the sturdiest, on the market.

I own 2 of these stands. Very high quality. They will not harm your nitro finish. My Yamaha is nitro. Zero issues. The manufacturer explicitly guarantees that the material they use will not harm your finish.

Best of luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-30-2020, 05:31 PM

I wrap the leg tubing in old cotton T-shirts tied with wool yarn and cover the back stop with an old sock.

Not attractive but the guitar covers most if it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 10-30-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:26 PM

I would not trust any stand that has rubber touching the guitar, with any of my nitro lacquer guitars.
I have two stands that I use but only for a short time and then the guitar is back in it's case.

Leather or cotton covers would be good.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I've used an Ultimate Guitar Stand without any problems with my nitro guitars.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...0-guitar-stand
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-30-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-guitar-stand

This is the stand you want. One of the best on the market. Certainly one of the sturdiest, if not the sturdiest, on the market.

I own 2 of these stands. Very high quality. They will not harm your nitro finish. My Yamaha is nitro. Zero issues. The manufacturer explicitly guarantees that the material they use will not harm your finish.

Best of luck
I am looking but I see no guarantee.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
I am looking but I see no guarantee.
A quote right from the manufacturer’s website:

“It’s also super safe for all types of finishes, including vintage nitro”

Does this officially amount to a clear guarantee? All I can tell you is that I contacted them before purchasing and they told be in no uncertain terms that the materials touching the guitar are inert and would not cause problems for any finish.

My nitro finished LL56 sits on the stand often. Zero issues.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-30-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
A quote right from the manufacturer’s website:

“It’s also super safe for all types of finishes, including vintage nitro”

Does this officially amount to a clear guarantee? All I can tell you is that I contacted them before purchasing and they told be in no uncertain terms that the materials touching the guitar are inert and would not cause problems for any finish.

My nitro finished LL56 sits on the stand often. Zero issues.
No. Not a clear guarantee. -But I am jaded!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I don't fully trust the material used on any guitar stand which comes in contact with the instrument, regardless of what users or manufacturers say and regardless of the finish on the guitar.

A simple solution is to purchase a functional stand and cover the foam/rubber material at the contact points with cork cut from a thin sheet of cork.
I wholeheartedly concur with purchasing a functional stand, preferably one that has a nice thick soft foam. Then go to your local craft store and purchase a roll of artists double sided "acid free" mounting tape. The type professional photographers and framers use to mount art. Then get some nice undyed (natural) linen and using the tape to secure the linen to the foam pads, wrap it around several times to make sure that the foam is completely covered and cannot come in contact with the instrument. The extra thickness of the linen wrapped several times over the foam just gives your baby a softer resting place when you are not playing it.

The craft store probably sells the linen too. Otherwise go to a JoAnn Fabric or a similar merchant for the cloth.

The double sided preservation tape is 100% acid free and guaranteed. And it's not that expensive.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:22 AM

I cut an old hand towel into wide strips and wrapped/zip tied them around all contact areas...that one from Sweetwater looks worth trying out, though...
Old 10-31-2020, 03:59 AM

Hercules. Better than anything else out there. All these owners i see wrapping their stands in pieces of fabric, hilarious!

There's no need to with Hercules, they're perfectly safe imo.

Last edited by LeftyKev; 11-03-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

First off, I can't see any situation that would lead you to leave your guitar out for three weeks. Regardless of how long I have played, I can always put it back in the case. That said. I've been using a Cooper stand at the house. Haven't seen a problem. Then again I won't leave it in the stand all night. I also have one of the briefcase sized cases. Holds three guitars securely, in the same material that's in a guitar case.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyKev View Post
Hercules. Better than anything else out there.
+1 I have a few and a bunch a gibsons, they don't harm the finish

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion