The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-15-2022, 12:39 PM

Default Soundhole Plug

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a soundhole plug to use during guitar construction. Something to keep debris and spay finishes out during construction. Right now I'm using a piece of springy foam in the hole and adding a piece of cardboard on top of that. It works but is a pain to get in and out and seat properly.

I've seen in videos that the larger guitar companies use what looks like a rubber inset but can't find one for sale anywhere. Maybe my google search skills are just poor.

I'm interested in what this group knows/uses and if there's a commercial one out there.
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2022, 02:21 PM

I've always used a piece of foam and a yogurt lid or something like that. It takes me about 15-20 seconds to get it in or out.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:38 PM

What you're looking for is a feedback buster. E.g.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/search_d...s=f1f60a_11681

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-15-2022, 05:35 PM

I make up a big ball of paper towel, sometimes previously used, newspaper would probably work. I lay a fresh sheet flat on top of it just under the sound hole. The whole thing is a friction fit. The edges of the sound hole are still accessible to finishing material.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniscalco View Post
I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a soundhole plug to use during guitar construction. Something to keep debris and spay finishes out during construction. Right now I'm using a piece of springy foam in the hole and adding a piece of cardboard on top of that. It works but is a pain to get in and out and seat properly.

I've seen in videos that the larger guitar companies use what looks like a rubber inset but can't find one for sale anywhere. Maybe my google search skills are just poor.

I'm interested in what this group knows/uses and if there's a commercial one out there.
Thanks!
You can try a D'Addario Screeching Halt sound hole plug, but they don't fit every soundhole size.

It's much easier to simply stuff an old discarded soft cotton bath towel into the body.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 PM

A foam rubber block and a piece of stiff cardboard. I have made many from discarded string packages.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think some people blow up a balloon inside the sound-hole when finishing.
instagram
Old 05-18-2022, 06:35 AM

The problem with using a plug is if you're spray finishing it prevents you from sufficiently applying finish to the sound hole edge. Since this is exposed end grain the edges need to be finished.

The stuffed towel method still allows access to the sound hole edges while keeping all the garbage out of your work.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
I think some people blow up a balloon inside the sound-hole when finishing.
I tried this once, aside from preventing the soundhole edges from receiving finish, the nitro deteriorated the balloon after the first coat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
soundhole cover