The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-01-2022, 03:01 PM

Very well done, Glenn. Great song, great songwriter and your rendition presents the song beautifully.

Thanks for the post.

Roger
Old 05-01-2022, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Very well done, Glenn. Great song, great songwriter and your rendition presents the song beautifully.

Thanks for the post.

Roger
Thank you Roger!

I'm glad you took the time to watch and comment. Much appreciated. I'm so pleased that you feel this came across well! Thank you for taking time!

I hope all is well for you and your family. I know this has been a busy time for you; I hope things are coming together well for you. And I hope the winter weather is starting to ebb and that spring is just around the corner.

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 08:31 PM

Hi Glenn! That is one of my favorite tunes by a great, but generally unheralded singer/songwriter. Another favorite J.D. Souther song is "White Rhythm And Blues." Are you familiar with that one? Anyway, well done as always. Thanks for sharing!
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 05-01-2022, 08:43 PM

Such a beautiful blend of voice and strings, Glenn! The background to this was very orchestral in the truest sense. I'm in awe of how you piece these together and bring your finished product to us!!
Thanks so much!! Hope you are well.........
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Hi Glenn! That is one of my favorite tunes by a great, but generally unheralded singer/songwriter. Another favorite J.D. Souther song is "White Rhythm And Blues." Are you familiar with that one? Anyway, well done as always. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Nate,

Thank you! I'm so glad you recognize this song and know of JD Souther! I am familiar with his song, "White Rhythm and Blues," yes! I am working right now on his song, "Faithless Love" that Linda Ronstadt sang way back. I was never that fond of Linda Ronstadt's version, though I liked much of her music, but JD Souther's version of this song is really something. I just figured it out this afternoon, so I'll be working this week on recording it.

Thanks for watching and for your kind comments, Nate! Much appreciated. I hope all is well for you and your family!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Such a beautiful blend of voice and strings, Glenn! The background to this was very orchestral in the truest sense. I'm in awe of how you piece these together and bring your finished product to us!!
Thanks so much!! Hope you are well.........
Fred
Thank you Fred!

How nice of you! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out okay!

It's true, some of these multi-camera videos can get a little complex, and this was one of those challenging ones. There were 11 video tracks in Adobe Premier that I had to edit down to one video, so it was a little involved. My computer tends to freak out because it's a little much, processing all those tracks at once. Fortunately, most of what shows up in the end is the first, central track of me singing and playing the guitar.

Thanks for taking time to watch the video and to post comments here, Fred! It's much appreciated! I am doing reasonably well. I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-02-2022, 05:24 AM

Very nice Glenn. I didn't recognize this song by its title but knew it once I heard you starting to play it. Please keep posting these gems.

Tom
Old 05-02-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
Very nice Glenn. I didn't recognize this song by its title but knew it once I heard you starting to play it. Please keep posting these gems.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you for being willing to watch the video even when you weren't sure whether you knew the song! And thank you for taking time to comment here; it means a lot! I'm very pleased that you felt this came out well!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I’m a big JD Souther fan so really love this, Glenn. Is that a Sheppard you are playing? Gerald makes a beautiful guitar. Nice when gorgeous guitars make it into the hands of talented players and you have some beauties. Thanks for posting.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-02-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I’m a big JD Souther fan so really love this, Glenn. Is that a Sheppard you are playing? Gerald makes a beautiful guitar. Nice when gorgeous guitars make it into the hands of talented players and you have some beauties. Thanks for posting.
Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne!

Thank you for watching and for your comments! I'm glad you thought this came out well! I, too, am a JD Souther fan from way back! How interesting that you are, too!

Yes, the main acoustic part in that song was played with a Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria that I bought used from Billy Boy on this forum a fair number of years ago now. The higher part played on capo 5 was played on an Olson SJ that I also picked up used from a fellow AGFer.

That Sheppard is a really lovely guitar. I do appreciate it and I'm glad you do, too!

Thank you for your kind words, Jayne! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-02-2022, 07:34 PM

Nicely done, Willow. I could hear the Eagles easily doing that song back in their heyday. Souther has that cowboy cool vibe wrapped around his handiwork, and it came through beautifully in your rendition.

Good looking acoustic, beautiful sounding too. And I see you broke out the reverse-burst Strat I love so much! Really wicked looking bass guitar! What the heck is that?

Good work, Glenn. I expect nothing less from the GlennWillow Sound and Screen Studio! 🎶😎🎶

frank
Old 05-02-2022, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Nicely done, Willow. I could hear the Eagles easily doing that song back in their heyday. Souther has that cowboy cool vibe wrapped around his handiwork, and it came through beautifully in your rendition.

Good looking acoustic, beautiful sounding too. And I see you broke out the reverse-burst Strat I love so much! Really wicked looking bass guitar! What the heck is that?

Good work, Glenn. I expect nothing less from the GlennWillow Sound and Screen Studio! 🎶😎🎶

frank
Hi Frank!

Thank you!

I'm so glad you took the time to watch this and thought it came out okay!

The main acoustic is a Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria that I bought used from a fellow AGF-er a fair number of years ago now.

The bass is a neck-thru Carvin bass that I bought quite a few years ago. I didn't spend the money for a fancy flamed maple top, it's just alder, like a Fender P-Bass, but the pickups sound quite good. It's a very good sounding bass, better than I deserve, but I am finally learning to play it after all these years. I actually enjoy getting it out and figuring out a bass line these days.

Yes, that reverse-burst Strat is a Strat Pro II that I picked up a year or two ago. I love the character of the pickups in that guitar, and it sure is pretty with the maple fretboard in contrast to that dark blue body. I really love this guitar!

I don't know if the Eagles ever did this song, but they sure could have. JD Souther songs that the Eagles did cover are: "Best of My Love," "Victim of Love," "Heartache Tonight," "New Kid in Town" and "How Long." He's also written for other artists, such as Bonnie Raitt, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood and Jackson Browne, and he did a duet with James Taylor, "Her Town, Too."

Thank you for your time and kind words, Frank! I really appreciate your taking time to listen and comment! I hope all is well for you and your family!

- Glenn
Old 05-03-2022, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

This song is actually one of my FAVORITES, and you do a fantastic job on it! Gonna get the music to it NOW and give it a try, though dont expect to come close to your rendition of it! Thanks for reminding me of this!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxstringer View Post
This song is actually one of my FAVORITES, and you do a fantastic job on it! Gonna get the music to it NOW and give it a try, though dont expect to come close to your rendition of it! Thanks for reminding me of this!
Hi Richard!

Thanks so much! I appreciate your taking time to listen and really appreciate your comments here! I am so pleased that you enjoyed this!

These chords from Ultimate Guitar are what I started with. The original key for this song back in 1979 was in the key of A. But that means the highest note he hits in the song was a high A note, and that is WAY up there! On his more recent recording in 2011 (he was age 60 at the time) he dropped the song a half step lower, to G#. In other words, he played it in G with a capo on the 1st fret. I figured, well, then I'll just playing it G and forget the capo.

So you can change the key down two half steps right on ultimateguitar.com. Those are the chords I used, so you shouldn't find this too hard. If the key of G is still too high, then transpose it to D (which you can still do on ultimateguitar.com) and use a capo to get it where it works for you!

I'm so pleased that you're going to give this song a shot, Richard! How cool is that!!!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-04-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Glenn,

Your multiple, musical gifts shine so brightly on this. I mos def remember this song! I was a young critter in school but I remember it well. Such an amazing effort from a classy dude who keeps the bar raised high in presenting such good tunes! (the vocal harmonies were my fav part)

eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell