The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 06:26 AM

Default Taylor Tone: V Bracing and Elixir HD Lights

Taylor guitars have always been known for their characteristically bright and articulate tone compared to other manufacturers like Martin and Gibson (meaty warm “wall” of sound). The Taylor tone originates from the use of Sitka spruce on the vast majority of their lineup, and has been emphasized through construction/design decisions and factory string selection.

My theory is that over the years, Taylor has sought to emphasize this bright and clear tonal distinction through certain design changes. For example:

During the mid 2010’s, Taylor worked with Elixir to develop HD light PB nanoweb strings (13-53). The HD lights paired light gauge bass strings with medium gauge treble strings, emphasizing the volume of trebles. These were installed on all factory GA guitars. Then, in 2017, Taylor discontinued the selection of HD lights in favor of true lights (12-53). The reason partially had to do with bracing changes, as seen here:
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarfor...p?topic=8358.0

(From playability perspective, lights are more enjoyable to me, and I also like their high-end resonant fragile sparkle compared to mediums.)

The return to regular lights was soon followed by the introduction of V class bracing, which to my ears results in a similar perceived tonal shift toward the brighter side of the tonal spectrum by boosting the resonance and volume of treble notes.

If I were to speculate, it seems like Taylor in the 2010’s had been experimenting with options specifically to boost their characteristic tonal profile. While strings can be easily changed, bracing is built into the guitar and locks that tone in. Both the HD lights (as stated in link above) and the V bracing were marketed as tonal improvements and industry innovations. I guess that is true from Taylor’s perspective in terms of emphasizing the Taylor characteristic bright and clear sound.

Taylor sure likes to innovate, and also presents their innovations as product differentiation that makes their guitars special and unique. Opinions may differ about string type, string gauge, bracing structure, and guitar brands more generally. However, from HD lights to V bracing, it is clear that Taylor is on a mission to establish itself as the ever-innovating manufacturer in search of a bright and articulate tone.

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 09-25-2021, 03:26 PM

I bought a Taylor 914 V class from a dealer in NY. The guitar came with 013 ( medium Elixir string), it was intriguing to me.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:34 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
I bought a Taylor 914 V class from a dealer in NY. The guitar came with 013 ( medium Elixir string), it was intriguing to me.
I use an 814ce V-class and switched from Elixir lights to their medium-lights (12-56) and the tone filled out wonderfully. There's a lot of power.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-25-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I use an 814ce V-class and switched from Elixir lights to their medium-lights (12-56) and the tone filled out wonderfully. There's a lot of power.
For some reasons, either Taylor or the dealer installed 013 medium PB elixir on my 914ce . It might make the guitar sounds “fuller and louder”..
Old 09-26-2021, 08:03 PM

I bought a 614 Builder's Edition a while back that came with light gauge strings on it. It didn't play or sound quite like I wanted it to, but I figured I'd wear the strings out before I changed them. I even played a few shows with it, even though I wasn't supper happy with the sound.

Well the strings were finally getting a little old recently. I've been using PB HD Lights on all of my acoustics for years, so I put a set of them on it last week, and now it's much better. I really like the HD Lights. I'm not sure why Taylor got away from them.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:04 AM

I play my Taylor 914ce with D'Addario XT medium strings (13 - 56). In my experience, a lot of the brightness of the Taylor sound is due to the use of Elixir strings. If you want a more warm and mellow sound with a Taylor, or any other guitar strung with Elixir, change the brand of the strings.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
I play my Taylor 914ce with D'Addario XT medium strings (13 - 56). In my experience, a lot of the brightness of the Taylor sound is due to the use of Elixir strings. If you want a more warm and mellow sound with a Taylor, or any other guitar strung with Elixir, change the brand of the strings.
I completely agree with this, but would add that changing the gauge to medium is important too. I still use Elixir on my 814ce, but have been using medium/lights (12-56) and sometimes Martin Retro mediums (13-56) and the "brightness" is pretty much absorbed. The Taylor website strongly recommends using only light gauge strings, but a quick call to their 800 number and a tech will tell you mediums are fine.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-28-2021, 09:53 AM

I agree oP. Andy has found a way to make even a GP dreadnaignt sound like a Taylor despite it being a non-Taylor shape and size (relatively).

Some don’t like him and I didn’t at first but I find despite being a bit hippy he’s actually usually spot on with the details. I do suspect that the strings and brighter tone are part of the sales pitch.

Bright guitars with strings thsg last months longer sound very bright and Alive in a store bs a Martin with dead strings for example.

I like the Martin strings on my Taylor for a week about then they die. I like the elixirs after they break in and they sound good for a long while and j ended up just paying for them now as my go to due to them being ‘Taylor’ sounding.

But yeah, Taylor doesn’t need to be Martin and vice versus. No need to be offended at V bracing, frankly I like it.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I completely agree with this, but would add that changing the gauge to medium is important too. I still use Elixir on my 814ce, but have been using medium/lights (12-56) and sometimes Martin Retro mediums (13-56) and the "brightness" is pretty much absorbed. The Taylor website strongly recommends using only light gauge strings, but a quick call to their 800 number and a tech will tell you mediums are fine.
To mention that I play medium strings was stupid. I play medium strings, because I play in CGDGAD and DADGAD. With standard tuning light strings are pretty ok.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion