The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Engelmann and Madagascar Rosewood

Has anyone has this combo before? I am thinking of having an OM 14 fret built with those tonewoods.

Hoping for an OMJM sound but on steroids.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpalomo View Post
Has anyone has this combo before? I am thinking of having an OM 14 fret built with those tonewoods.

Hoping for an OMJM sound but on steroids.
Depends on the luthier and how the guitar is built and braced but I would imagine that this guitar could be warm and a bit dark sounding - in a good way. So many variables. If you can articulate to the builder what tone you are looking for, he/she should be able to tell you if those tone woods are the best choice to deliver on what you want. Have fun with the journey.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-07-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I have an Engelmann and Madagascar Saddle Pal from Lamehorse guitars. As Jaymarsch posted, it depends on how the guitar was built. Being a parlor sized guitar as well as a unique build style, the guitar I have isn't a cannon, but the notes fly off the top with little effort. It has good sustain (especially for a smaller guitar) and the Engelmann gives it a warm smooth tone that I can only describe as "Creamy". It isn't overly bright, but it's also not as warm as Redwood or Cedar. I think the Rosewood gives it more sustain as well as exhibits overtones that I find pleasing.

I have other guitars with Adi, Carpithian, Redwood and Sitka, and my little Saddle Pal emits my favorite combination of both warmth and crispness that I attribute to the Engelmann top. I will say though, if you want volume and a higher register, perhaps a different type of spruce should be chosen.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

First post John, welcome to the forum!

I have a Wingert E in Engelmann and Madagascar. NGD thread is here - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480228

I told Kathy I wanted a guitar that was sensitive for light fingerstyle, and that enhanced the trebles a bit more than other guitars I had. Kathy recommended rosewood for the B&S based on another guitar she knew I liked. We tapped four sets of maddy and the set we chose had a much glassier tap tone than the others. I had thought we’d go Italian for the top but Kathy suggested a set of Engelmann she had and the result is 100% of what I wanted.

I chose Kathy as a builder based on playing her guitars, and also finding her to be wonderful to deal with. The important conversations I then had with Kathy were about sound and playing style, and the selection of wood followed that. I’d say the characteristics brought by a specific builder and the individual pieces of wood will be major influences, but what is essential is to go into the speccing of the guitar with a clear idea of what sound you are looking for; then maybe let the builder guide you as to how to achieve it.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=nootis;6758738]I have an Engelmann and Madagascar Saddle Pal from Lamehorse guitars.

Man that's a beautiful back, old Madi with the ink lines and spider webs....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion