The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Berklee Online: Early Impressions

I recently realized I had a few months of Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits remaining and decided to enroll in Berklee Online’s Professional Guitar Certificate. Right now I’m a bit more than halfway through the first 12 week term and I thought I might share some initial impressions primarily because I was unable to find many reviews of the program before enrolling myself.

First, some background: my undergraduate and graduate education was in residence although I have since attended both masters and doctoral level programs that were a combination of online and seminar content so I’m not a stranger to distance learning. Also, I’m not a professional musician; I’d call myself an intermediate player with some background in piano.

Overall, my experience with Berklee has been enjoyable. The online interface is well-done and, despite heavy traffic right now, relatively glitch-free. The instructors are great and do a good job of being personable, encouraging and available. The content has also been very good although I do think most students will find themselves choosing to focus on the recorded assignments rather than the large amount of material presented each week. Really, some of these concepts will need repeated review rather than the quick brush they get in a single-week format.

Compared to my other online learning experiences, I find Berklee Online a bit over-regimented. There are multiple assignments due during the week as well as live classes (which can be viewed later ... attendance is optional) and there’s no way to work ahead since each week is “locked” until the preceding Saturday. That makes it difficult to flex one’s schedule to accommodate real-life conflicts.

Overall, I’m enjoying my time and I am learning some valuable concepts and skills. It’s important to note there aren’t any “lessons” in the certificate program; the assumption is you already have basic playing skills. It’s also important to note that because of the GI Bill I’m essentially getting paid to take these classes. Would I do this on my own dime? No. Honestly, although I like the program to date I cant see the cost of tuition being justified for most players. I’m sure there are many Berklee Online programs, degree and certificate, (music production comes to mind) that may be worth the tuition but for guitarists there are simply too many less expensive options to justify the cost of the program in my opinion. A single term's tuition would pay for a lot of one-on-one instruction.

Well, that’s my early impression. If anyone’s interested in follow-up as I get further into the program let me know and I’ll update this as I move through the program. I expect to be done next spring.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review, 89bruin. Though I am not considering the program, it was interesting to read your take on it.

I have a friend who attended Berklee in the 1970s. It seems to me, particularly with a school such as Berklee, that a huge part of the experience is the constant daily interaction between students - the jam sessions, study groups, and such. None of that could be fully reproduced in an online forum, assuming that was a part of the online Berklee package. From what I understand, many students who attended on campus often found bands to tour with before they finished their degree programs. Also, the personal interaction one-on-one with the likes of instructors such as Mick Goodrick and Pat Metheny could never be duplicated even via Skype.

This, to me, raises a very serious question about certain aspects of education of this nature, post COVID-19. Will students who can attend the actual physical schools still have this kind of access?

Anyway, for the way you are using the program, it seems as if online is perfectly satisfactory. For someone such as my friend, total immersion was (and probably still is) of very real value.

I purchase lessons from Jake Reichbart:

(https://www.jakereichbart.com/guitar...r-lessons.html)

and

(https://www.youtube.com/user/jreichbart).

His lessons on a given tune arrangement typically run from 90 - 120 minutes, and sometimes more. The lessons consist of a download video that runs 2 - 3+ GB or a physical DVD. He goes far beyond teaching the student to mimic what he does to play the tune. Instead, he explains what he is doing and why in depth, along with many alternative ways to consider playing the same passages. I would say that each lesson is probably the equivalent of at least a month worth of weekly lessons when you consider how much of that 1/2 or full hour is taken with getting set up, greetings, etc. and that Jake just goes, rather than constantly repeating himself as one might in a face to face lesson. You can replay any portion of a video as often as needed. His lessons assume you already know how to play guitar, and therefore don't wast time on what a C scale is or where the notes are on the fretboard.

Additionally, he has a couple of 2 hour videos, each focusing on the nuts and bolts of arranging for fingerstyle jazz, jazz harmony, and jazz improv. These are separate from the tune lessons so he doesn't have to take time away from those lessons to explain this stuff. Again, these assume you already know at least basic diatonic harmony and that you know your way around the fretboard.

These lessons are perfect for not having the teacher physically present because the nature of the material and his method of teaching lend themselves well to the media. What Jake is essentially doing is teaching you "how to fish" rather than giving you a fish (i.e. rather than TAB and a video showing you where to put your fingers and when, he is showing you how to roll your own). There is no written material with Jake's lessons. The videos are it, one long video constitutes a lesson.

However, what one learns from Jake is probably quite different from what you are getting at Berklee. I have heard (read) comments from a few people who have taken Berklee's online songwriting course(s), and all comments were quite positive, though all agreed with your assessment of the regimentation and amount of work each week.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Thank you 89Bruin for your thoughtful review. I have often considered taking a few of Berklee’s online guitar courses but couldn’t justify the cost. It seems their programs are aimed at the young professional or professional to be, which I’m not. Glad you are enjoying the experience. What a great way to utilize your GI benefits. I look forward to hearing more of your ongoing progress. .
Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Anyway, for the way you are using the program, it seems as if online is perfectly satisfactory. For someone such as my friend, total immersion was (and probably still is) of very real value.
Tony, good point & I forgot to emphasize that: no matter how slick the interface, there’s just no way you’re going to experience any sense of “community” from these courses ... unless you’re someone whose only social interaction is with Facebook.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Tony, good point & I forgot to emphasize that: no matter how slick the interface, there’s just no way you’re going to experience any sense of “community” from these courses ... unless you’re someone whose only social interaction is with Facebook.
That would certainly be a sad way of life. Unfortunately, depending on what this so-called "new normal" turns out to be, we may end up having to settle for something at least partially along those lines. But, then, here we are in a forum.

I suppose my days of playing in bands is likely long over with. I am quite content arranging and playing solo fingerstyle jazz and pop. It is like solving a puzzle, only instead of just looking at it when you are done, you get to play it any time you want and hear it all over again, changing bits of it here and there as it matures through the playing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM

Default Berklee Online Update 2

I thought I’d update my original post since I’m nearing the halfway point in Berklee’s Advanced Professional Guitar Certificate program:

Overall, I stand by my original impressions. The online interface and the instructors are the strong points of the program. I still find it artificially regimented and the live classes are largely pointless (it’s good they’re optional).

Although I still think the cost/benefit ratio should discourage most folks from paying for this program out of pocket I would offer the following advice for prospective students:

1) If you’re an active player immediately ask to substitute another course for the level 1 introductory chords and scales courses. There are far better resources and methods to learn this material without paying Berklee and dealing with the pain of recording some astoundingly uninteresting chord and scale etudes.
2) Berklee’s course guides generally imply that the course can be completed with an acoustic guitar. Unfortunately, that assumes you own an acoustic with a cutaway for many assignments.
3) It’s not unusual for the weekly material to have more than one can easily work through and do it justice. Plan on jumping straight to the assignments and pick up the rest once those are done.
4) Be aware up front that there are often multiple assignments that need to be recorded (video required) each week. This gets TEDIOUS. I’m not suggesting there’s a better way given Berklee’s format but it does get old.
5) The “Advanced Professional” moniker is a bit of a conceit. There are some professional players in the classes but there are mor folks who range from rank beginner to intermediate players. Really, if you’re dedicated and own a guitar you can complete this program.

Still, I’m essentially getting paid to do this and I’m getting lots of playing time and exposure to different styles. I’m thankful to have the opportunity but I still think most people would be better served investing in private instruction.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 PM

This will be my last update on the Berklee online program since I’ve just finished the certificate program. I don’t have much to add other than two observations: the worst course (and it wins the distinction by a mile) in the Berklee program was Advanced Acoustic Guitar Techniques and the best was Introduction to Classical Guitar (which is far more than an introduction). Overall, I’ll reiterate my previous advice: don’t pay for this program out of your own pocket; it’s not bad but there are far better ways to spend your instructional dollars.

If anyone has specific questions about my Berklee experience you’re welcome to send me a PM.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write