The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Alvarez Masterworks Dreadnought advice

Hello all, I recently purchased an Alvarez Masterworks parlor guitar-MPA66SHB and I am completely blown away by the quality and sound of this little beast. So much so I have GAS for a Masterworks Dread.

I am looking at either the MD60BG or the MDA66SHB. The problem is there is no place within 200 miles that I can play them for comparison. I understand the general difference in tone between spruce and mahogany tops but that can vary some by manufacturer and model.

Does anyone own both of these or have experience with both and could give me your comparable analysis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 PM

I do not own the MDA66SHB but was so impressed with the MD60BG I bought a second for the office. They are great guitars.

If you are patient you can grab the MD60’s off Reverb as b-stock or almost new condition. Fantastic value for a great guitar.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-11-2019, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the information. I will keep my eye out.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:39 PM

I bought an MD70CE five years ago.
It is the Spruce over Rosewood version.
I love mine.
The only guitar that I have that is “better” is an Alvarez Yairi made of the same stuff.

Hog topped guitars have a more “fundamental” sound.
That’s the only way I can think to describe it.
I find them to be a little boxy sounding in general.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

No comparative - I had the MDA66SHB all Mahogany for a while. Just amazing for the $. That one had an overtone series that was just very emotionally engaging and very sweet. Lyrical. This is subjective. But it was sensitive and you can fingerpick softly in the middle of the night so as not to disturb the family and the tone still came across. For the $ just an amazing value as I posted in another thread.

What do you like about the parlor? I take that it is not boxy small sounding? Is is very sensitive to very soft touch?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 PM

I've got a number of Alvarez guitars and a Yairi. The Alvarez models are MPA70, AD610 & AF30. The Yairi is FYM66HD. I love the variety of tonalities I get from these different guitars. The only two with the same wood types are the AD610 & AF30, both are Spruce & Mahogany, though they are both laminate b&s.

My primary guitar to play mostly is the FYM66HD, and when I bought it there was a Yairi DM60 model at the store that I got to compare it too. The two are quite different sounding, with the DM60 having more overtones, which to my ear make it sound brighter. The 66 has a more bell like quality, with more subtly to the tone. I would not call the 66 boxy at all, though in a laminate sided version perhaps it would have less depth of sound. I got the MPA70 to give me more variation on tone, which it really does, the brightness of a 60 model but with more depth in the bass as well, I feel.

Anyway, I would not want to buy another guitar that has the same fundamental character of sound to the one I already have. But that's just me. Maybe others would like to have a dread and a parlor with similar sound characteristics (well, really, the Alvarez parlor guitars are more of an OO size, since they are truly big for a traditional parlor guitar, but that's another discussion).
Old 10-11-2019, 11:33 PM

I like hog-topped guitars and have a few. But the MD60BG has a great traditional D18 jump right out there sound and look that made me reach for the wallet. And fwiw, in the parlor masterworks, I too liked the hog topped one.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
No comparative - I had the MDA66SHB all Mahogany for a while. Just amazing for the $. That one had an overtone series that was just very emotionally engaging and very sweet. Lyrical. This is subjective. But it was sensitive and you can fingerpick softly in the middle of the night so as not to disturb the family and the tone still came across. For the $ just an amazing value as I posted in another thread.

What do you like about the parlor? I take that it is not boxy small sounding? Is is very sensitive to very soft touch?
It is not boxy and small sounding at all. I am amazed by the warm full tone and volume this guitar produces. It almost defies logic. Lol!! I did add a John Pearse arm rest to be able to enjoy it's full potential since it is very sensitive to a resting arm. BTW, the John Pearse slim line junior arm rest fits the contour like a glove and looks good on it.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post

I have the MDA66 as well and would agree with this. In fact, I tend to play mine during the week in the evening after everyone has dropped off to sleep just for this reason. Great tone, but not nearly as loud as my other spruce or cedar topped dreads. I played the Artist version of the parlor (AP66?) in my local shop the other month and it was just stellar - boxy NEVER even came to my mind - if I was in the market for a parlor I think I'd grab it or the Masterworks version without thinking twice.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Don't own one but have played a few - the MD60BG is a traditional sounding dread very similar to the Martin D-18. So similar in fact that some folks don't see the need to spend $1000 more for the Martin. They are that good. I've had an AP66 mahogany parlor in the past and it was sweet and intimate, but could stand up to some firm strumming too. I think they are different enough to warrant owning each and the BG would be my choice instead of another hog top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion