The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-06-2022, 01:42 PM

Default One pickup going quiet?

On my daughter's Squire guitar the bridge pickup has become far more quiet than the neck and I'm looking for some help diagnosing the problem.

The guitar is a little over a year old, so it seems unlikely that the pickup itself is the problem. The guitar has volume and tone knobs for each pickup, it seems like this could possibly be the problem but none of the knobs crackles or makes any noise... so to me it seems like the switch would be the best place to start, but it isnt making any noise either.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:13 AM

It would be helpful to know the model. Sounds like a model with a toggle switch...

Try cleaning that switch with contact cleaner. Toggle switches are much more likely to develop bad contacts than blade switches which are self cleaning. If it is a blade switch, don't bother cleaning the contacts. Most low end toggle switches are enclosed which makes replacement easier than repair/cleaning. If it is enclosed, try shorting the bad pickup to the switch output (going to the jack) to diagnose the switch.

If the toggle switch seems OK...

Next try reflowing the solder joints on the quiet pickup volume control.

Next try reflowing the solder joint on the switch for the quiet pickup.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-07-2022 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:05 AM

+1 on jonfields45's comment that it might be a toggle switch. I have a 3 way switch on an Epi Les Paul that I need to clean or replace because when I switch to the neck pickup the volume drops in half. Sometimes if I move the switch back and forth I'll get the full volume.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:39 AM

get some dexoit spray, and squirt a blast or two in there on either side of the shaft.

then work the switch back and forth for about a minute.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-08-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
get some dexoit spray, and squirt a blast or two in there on either side of the shaft.

then work the switch back and forth for about a minute.
This actually seems like a really good idea that did not occur to me. On the left is a decent quality brand-X toggle and on the right is a one step above the usual bottom-of-the-line enclosed toggle (branded JA and made in Korea). You can see that the toggle switch shaft would funnel contact cleaner to roughly the right place (guitar laying on its back face up). Since this is a switch, and not a POT, you can use the contact cleaner they sell at Home Depot and the like.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-08-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
This actually seems like a really good idea that did not occur to me. On the left is a decent quality brand-X toggle and on the right is a one step above the usual bottom-of-the-line enclosed toggle (branded JA and made in Korea). You can see that the toggle switch shaft would funnel contact cleaner to roughly the right place (guitar laying on its back face up). Since this is a switch, and not a POT, you can use the contact cleaner they sell at Home Depot and the like.
I can't count the times I've fixed something annoying like this with a blast or two of this stuff, it often can work like magic if it's not something "mechanical" in the hardware itself.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars