The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-17-2021, 08:45 AM

Default ID from a tailpiece?

Hello,

As a kid, I was given what I think was a 1960s Gibson L-50. Unfortunately it was accidentally crushed in high school. I just came across the tailpiece and it has an ornament/medallion that I cannot identify... Does anybody have any idea if the custom shop ever did anything like this, or did it come from a different guitar?

I cannot find an example of this medallion anywhere and the forum's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-S

Last edited by Smattingly; 09-17-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Image not appearing
Old 09-17-2021, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the Forum...

Picture didn't load - contact the mods for assistance and we'll be glad to help with ID...
Old 09-17-2021, 01:52 PM

Default Image fixed

Thanks image fixed!

-S
Old 09-17-2021, 02:20 PM

The tailpiece doesn't have the diamond shape as would be typical on a L-50 and many other Gibsons. The logo is someone's custom job. It does look kinda cool.

From a Gibson L-50
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-17-2021, 02:41 PM

Default L-48?

It could have been the L-48... I think it had dot inlays. I am hoping it was not from the 1930s, because then I would be even more depressed!

But that tailpiece doesn't look right either.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smattingly View Post
It could have been the L-48... I think it had dot inlays. I am hoping it was not from the 1930s, because then I would be even more depressed!

But that tailpiece doesn't look right either.
The L-48 was a postwar Gibson product, an all-laminated 16" instrument (except for a few extremely rare, very-early and final-production examples built with existing-inventory L-50 bodies) that would be their entry-level archtop until 1970 (TMK actual production was halted at the end of 1966), and the tailpiece in the above photo is in fact typical of the earliest models. As Dan said, yours is somebody's custom job and, given the green pearloid background material and general profile, I'd say it's a mid-60's Japanese-made piece...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops