The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Once again. The L1 compact is a one trip, including your guitar. No stands to set up, no lifting speakers on stands. 2 minute set up and pack up time.
The thing that has always bugged me about that L1 Compact is that the column only has (6) little speakers at the top. Most of the column is thus empty space, used to raise the height of the (6) small drivers. Couple that observation with reports from some users that the L1 Compact was lacking in volume/penetration, I am not so sure I would pursue that route. The L1S Model, on the other hand, has (12) of the small drivers, and the full L1 has (24) of the small drivers -- that is going to move a lot more air. I think with respect to the Bose L1, I would personally either go big or not at all.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
The thing that has always bugged me about that L1 Compact is that the column only has (6) little speakers at the top. Most of the column is thus empty space, used to raise the height of the (6) small drivers. Couple that observation with reports from some users that the L1 Compact was lacking in volume/penetration, I am not so sure I would pursue that route. The L1S Model, on the other hand, has (12) of the small drivers, and the full L1 has (24) of the small drivers -- that is going to move a lot more air. I think with respect to the Bose L1, I would personally either go big or not at all.
I've heard this multiple times. Actually, the Sweetwater rep I just got off the phone with said the same thing. I called to inquire about the IP2000. He said they are taking pre-orders on them but aren't sure when they'll ship.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
This is why I am on these forums. I hadn't even heard about this product and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - though I'd like to see setup and breakdown. I like the idea of the iPad app as I utilize my iPad for every performance. Maybe I'll give Sweetwater a call and see if they have a general idea of when these things will be released. I don't really need my new system until June 6.
Right now, they have no ETA whatsoever, not even a general idea. Apparently a few came in a month or so ago, but they were all presold and sounded like the purpose of those was feedback. My rep at sweetwater really thinks these will make a run against Bose & Fishman as shows they may be overpriced and outdated with new alternatives out there (dependent on feedback). You will always have the Bose & Fishman lovers/haters...I'll wait to make my opinion when I can hear one.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancehallking View Post
Right now, they have no ETA whatsoever, not even a general idea. Apparently a few came in a month or so ago, but they were all presold and sounded like the purpose of those was feedback. My rep at sweetwater really thinks these will make a run against Bose & Fishman as shows they may be overpriced and outdated with new alternatives out there (dependent on feedback). You will always have the Bose & Fishman lovers/haters...I'll wait to make my opinion when I can hear one.
Agreed. I think this product will force me to hold off on a purchase until I can try one out. I really, really like the bluetooth technology. The rep also told me that these are slated to be lighter than the L1 and SA220.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I've use mine outdoors and indoors, with full band and acoustic duos. I get plenty of volume and 180 degree dispertion. I've been told to turn down with a full band at a street festival before too. You have to get used to how you sound at first because it is so clear. But the audience hears it perfectly and you'll get compliments. I do use a mixer.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Just ran across this......I have not heard nor even seen one of these, but dang....that is a low price for a compact line array:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-system?pfm=sp
I've seen these packaged under different names: harbinger, kustom, and powerwerks. I think they are made by Kustom. I have the 100 watt powerwerks version (with no sub). They are decent sounding but are not in the same league with the fishstick or the Bose compact.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM

Just to add another idea to the mix, there are the new Evox rigs from RCF:

http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/evox

No experience directly myself, but the demonstrations on youtube by Trinity Sound Productions are impressive. These can work as a single small array and sub set up for a solo performer or small acoustic ensemble, or they can be used as the basic building blocks of an impressive small PA system. If something like this had been available (and I had had the cash) when I was building my own system for solo, duo, trio, and full band gigs, I'd have given them very careful consideration.

Louis
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Just to add another idea to the mix, there are the new Evox rigs from RCF:

http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/evox

No experience directly myself, but the demonstrations on youtube by Trinity Sound Productions are impressive. These can work as a single small array and sub set up for a solo performer or small acoustic ensemble, or they can be used as the basic building blocks of an impressive small PA system. If something like this had been available (and I had had the cash) when I was building my own system for solo, duo, trio, and full band gigs, I'd have given them very careful consideration.

Louis
This is interesting. I'd be curious to hear it in a live situation. I found one video on YouTube from NAMM, but you can't really tell if it sounds good. The guy playing kinda sucks and the recording is not good.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Whitney;

I also have the older L1 system, and I know what you mean about that base unit being heavy! Even though the entire rig is SO MUCH lighter and easier to set up than other PAs I have owned, I'm getting older, too! That friggin' base unit is a beast...

Unfortunately, I have NEVER used a system that has the dispersion and overall quality of sound that the Bose has... it is so unlike a conventional PA that many folks just don't "get it"... all you have to do is walk out in the room and hear what the thing sounds like and you'll know the difference immediately.

I've heard the HK systems, and the QSC, and others, but where they are lacking is in that amazing quality of "spreading the sound' that the Bose has...

I have a few friends who own both the Compact and the L1, and they love 'em both... if you just have a guitar and a mic through the Compact, you'll be fine, and it can cover small/medium rooms... then if you have a "bigger room, bring the L1...

Another thing to consider is that the newer L1 Model II's have a base unit that weighs only 24#s, compared to the 32#s of the ones we have... that right there is going to minimize a lot of the hassle... a little folding cart for everything you need would certainly cut down on the trips back and forth, as well. I don't gig enough to have invested in one of those, but I have many friends who use them with great ease and success...

You may not know this, but Bose has stopped "supporting' the repair of the older systems; in any effort to continue support to the customer, they offer an exchange! You keep the B1 cabinet and send them everything else, and they send you a BRAND NEW L1 Model II!!! I think the charge for the exchange is $1100 and they will pay the shipping...

What I have done is acquired an AER Compact 60/2... picked it up gently used for $600. The thing weighs 12#s!!!! (Oh, happy back!) Along with the light weight, it is also an amazing sounding little unit... at low volumes, it does sound a bit "boxy" and directional, but, when you turn it up to performing volumes, the sound spreads in a wonderful fashion, to the point where you can't really "track" the source with your ears. I use it with voice and guitar, and have been stunned at how LOUD the thing will get, while still maintaining a high quality of sound! AER stuff is the Real Deal... I looked online for people who had repairs done to them, and could not find ONE hit, not one... which speaks to how solid they are. Expensive, but, like the Bose systems, entirely worth it in my opinion...

As much as I'd love to have less to carry, the way I SOUND is by far the most important thing. I also favor a "natural" sound, without extremely emphasized bass response or that "bacon frying" high end sizzle that so many people seem to love... all I know is that my guitar and voice NEVER sounded like that, unplugged... (that's my problem with the HK unit, by the way; this unnatural bass and high frequency that it puts out...)

Good luck with what ever you choose... oh yeah... remember that, if you choose some different PA, you are going to need some sort of monitor system or you won't hear yourself on stage very well... which is a MUST for me; heck, I am ALWAYS the one who cares the most about how I sound when I play!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Once again. The L1 compact is a one trip, including your guitar. No stands to set up, no lifting speakers on stands. 2 minute set up and pack up time.
+1 Bose Compact!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Whitney;

I also have the older L1 system, and I know what you mean about that base unit being heavy! Even though the entire rig is SO MUCH lighter and easier to set up than other PAs I have owned, I'm getting older, too! That friggin' base unit is a beast...

Unfortunately, I have NEVER used a system that has the dispersion and overall quality of sound that the Bose has... it is so unlike a conventional PA that many folks just don't "get it"... all you have to do is walk out in the room and hear what the thing sounds like and you'll know the difference immediately.

I've heard the HK systems, and the QSC, and others, but where they are lacking is in that amazing quality of "spreading the sound' that the Bose has...

I have a few friends who own both the Compact and the L1, and they love 'em both... if you just have a guitar and a mic through the Compact, you'll be fine, and it can cover small/medium rooms... then if you have a "bigger room, bring the L1...

Another thing to consider is that the newer L1 Model II's have a base unit that weighs only 24#s, compared to the 32#s of the ones we have... that right there is going to minimize a lot of the hassle... a little folding cart for everything you need would certainly cut down on the trips back and forth, as well. I don't gig enough to have invested in one of those, but I have many friends who use them with great ease and success...

You may not know this, but Bose has stopped "supporting' the repair of the older systems; in any effort to continue support to the customer, they offer an exchange! You keep the B1 cabinet and send them everything else, and they send you a BRAND NEW L1 Model II!!! I think the charge for the exchange is $1100 and they will pay the shipping...

What I have done is acquired an AER Compact 60/2... picked it up gently used for $600. The thing weighs 12#s!!!! (Oh, happy back!) Along with the light weight, it is also an amazing sounding little unit... at low volumes, it does sound a bit "boxy" and directional, but, when you turn it up to performing volumes, the sound spreads in a wonderful fashion, to the point where you can't really "track" the source with your ears. I use it with voice and guitar, and have been stunned at how LOUD the thing will get, while still maintaining a high quality of sound! AER stuff is the Real Deal... I looked online for people who had repairs done to them, and could not find ONE hit, not one... which speaks to how solid they are. Expensive, but, like the Bose systems, entirely worth it in my opinion...

As much as I'd love to have less to carry, the way I SOUND is by far the most important thing. I also favor a "natural" sound, without extremely emphasized bass response or that "bacon frying" high end sizzle that so many people seem to love... all I know is that my guitar and voice NEVER sounded like that, unplugged... (that's my problem with the HK unit, by the way; this unnatural bass and high frequency that it puts out...)

Good luck with what ever you choose... oh yeah... remember that, if you choose some different PA, you are going to need some sort of monitor system or you won't hear yourself on stage very well... which is a MUST for me; heck, I am ALWAYS the one who cares the most about how I sound when I play!
Hi jseth! I'm confused about the exchange you mentioned. Let's say my older generation L1 was acting wonky. I call Bose and they tell me to send everything but the sub unit back (I pay shipping) and in return they send me the newer model L1? At what point do I pay $1100? That doesn't seem right...if they stop repairing the older units, they shouldn't be charging you $1100 for having to replace it with a new one.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Cool Well...

Quote:
Hi jseth! I'm confused about the exchange you mentioned. Let's say my older generation L1 was acting wonky. I call Bose and they tell me to send everything but the sub unit back (I pay shipping) and in return they send me the newer model L1? At what point do I pay $1100? That doesn't seem right...if they stop repairing the older units, they shouldn't be charging you $1100 for having to replace it with a new one.
Well... first of all, your older L1 is WAY out of any warranty coverage, right? So, you'd have to pay to have it repaired, and the only people who work on Bose are Bose people - so we're talking shipping it to Massachusetts and back...

When I spoke with the guy at Bose, he said that they just don't have all the components for the older ones any more... yet, they don't want to "bail out" on all the users of those units, so they offer this exchange thing... given that a new L1 Model II with just the tower and base unit would run you around $2400, $110 seems pretty righteous to me, to get a brand-new unit with full warranty and all... admittedly, it IS $1100, however...

And NO, YOU don't have to pay shipping... you talk with them, they send you vouchers for the shipping, you pay the $1100, and they ship the new one to you...

I have the T1 unit; got it in case I had folks "sit in"... it is a remarkable little gizmo, and has plenty of different eq and effects options for each channel...

With the newer Model II, you HAVE to have a mixer of some sort, as it doesn't have those two mic/line inputs on the base that the Model I has.. so consider adding a little mixer (or the T1, which I highly recommend!) to the overall cost.

Hope this explains it for you...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
I've seen these packaged under different names: harbinger, kustom, and powerwerks. I think they are made by Kustom. I have the 100 watt powerwerks version (with no sub). They are decent sounding but are not in the same league with the fishstick or the Bose compact.
Yup, kaos:

http://www.powerwerks.com/product/pw100t

http://www.powerwerks.com/manuals/pw...ers_manual.pdf

Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
This is interesting. I'd be curious to hear it in a live situation. I found one video on YouTube from NAMM, but you can't really tell if it sounds good. The guy playing kinda sucks and the recording is not good.
Here's the full "take it apart" review at Trinityprosound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BWchY3zLT4

And here's the on site demo as a PA system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmDgXtVBwSo

Here's an outdoor test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCcgAvZatJU

I wish there were a good one with a solo artist, although I doubt very much that there's anything lacking in the sound quality of these units. The bigger question is whether there are enough advantages to justify the expense over something like an SA220 or a Bose for a strictly solo artist. It will certainly beat out either those other options for larger venues, and the main advantage is--I think--for someone looking to build a scalable system for an array of venues and for an act that goes from solo shows up to a band of several musicians.

Louis
Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well... first of all, your older L1 is WAY out of any warranty coverage, right? So, you'd have to pay to have it repaired, and the only people who work on Bose are Bose people - so we're talking shipping it to Massachusetts and back...

When I spoke with the guy at Bose, he said that they just don't have all the components for the older ones any more... yet, they don't want to "bail out" on all the users of those units, so they offer this exchange thing... given that a new L1 Model II with just the tower and base unit would run you around $2400, $110 seems pretty righteous to me, to get a brand-new unit with full warranty and all... admittedly, it IS $1100, however...

And NO, YOU don't have to pay shipping... you talk with them, they send you vouchers for the shipping, you pay the $1100, and they ship the new one to you...

I have the T1 unit; got it in case I had folks "sit in"... it is a remarkable little gizmo, and has plenty of different eq and effects options for each channel...

With the newer Model II, you HAVE to have a mixer of some sort, as it doesn't have those two mic/line inputs on the base that the Model I has.. so consider adding a little mixer (or the T1, which I highly recommend!) to the overall cost.

Hope this explains it for you...
Hmm. Interesting. I wasn't aware that they took away the inputs. I'd have to throw down $1100 plus add a mixer...all for essentially the same setup I have right now. Thank you for the info - not sure that's the way to go for me!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification